The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
munice
regular everyday normal guy

DIN radio wiring a little help?

Hi everybody! I've got an old sony deck that ive been wanting to throw in the truck but really couldn't be bothered cause the weather was a bit too cold... Well this weekend was super nice (changed rear axle seals and rear shoes) and I figured it would eb a good time to tackle the radio project. Well cutting the hole was no problem (i had no emotional attachment to the dash unlike some people !) so thats all fine and dandy, its just hooking the damn thing up! Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe on the truck side the wires are yellow= constant 12v grey= illumination and black= ground, and ive only got the single dash speaker which has its grey and brown leads.. Now is it even possible to configure a modern DIN radio to work with just one speaker? like i might install more later but i was happy with the sound of just the one honestly. and the deck in question is a Sony CDX-L550X and i already looked up the wiring diagram for it on line, but the 16 pin connector they show is different than mine? it seems my connector doesnt have the orange/white wire for illuminiation but at the same time it doesnt look like it ever did... i think in totall its got 14 wires in it but its the same connector as the 16 wire version. I'll try to post some pics tonight.
cheers, Andrew
munice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Stepsideride

Re: DIN radio wiring a little help?

yeah you can hook it up to just one just make sure to use one of the left channel connections ie: LR or LF as for power on the radio circuit.....yellow is hot in run and acc, Gray is Interior Lights, Black of course Ground depending on year of the truck 89 and later are different... For the Sony to retain memory you need to source a constant 12v at the fuse panel but it can be done.
Stepsideride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
thehitchmaster

Re: DIN radio wiring a little help?

not all head units have illumination wires.