The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Stringer

Pickup coil noise

Howdy. Just finished (with some help) a new intake manifold gasket. Also put on a new cap and rotor. Now - sometimes - I have a tapping, clicking noise that somebody said was probably the pickup coil. Seems like it is coming from the distributor.

Truck runs fine. This is a 72 with a 90 model 350 TBI. Might it reseat itself as the parts guy told me? Might I be left on the side of the road sooner instead of later? Just not sure what to think. Runs good but has that noise. Thanks for any ideas.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
llowlife

Re: Pickup coil noise

Bout the only reason I can think of for a tapping noise from the dist is due to worn bushings unless something got installed incorrectly or something loosened up. Take a relook at installed items. Look for any interference from the rotor and capand wiggle the shaft from side to side. It should be pretty tight.

72 short step w/ 388 /4l80e/ and 3.08 gears.
llowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
geezer#99

Take a long piece of old garden hose or use a long wooden dowel to use as a stethoscope to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. Don't laugh. It works.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
Stringer

Will do. Been trying to read old posts about this but haven't seen anything about the noise. It's a spark sound but it sorta sounds like a June bug hittin the glass.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
dadsworktruck

Might be a spark plug wire not seated or crack in cap, you could fire the truck up in the dark see if you can find a plug wire jumping the gap some place it isnt suppose to be.
dadsworktruck is offline   Reply With Quote