The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
burkeens

opinions on not repainting the bed

I recently bought from my uncle the 68 C-10 LWB 307 3ott that he bought new in 67. I will post pictures soon in the survivors thread, but it's pretty much all original. It has the original light blue/white two-tone paint scheme. My uncle is a mechanic and has always taken great care of his equipment, including this truck.

Even thought it has been garaged all its life and taken great care of, the original paint is pretty thin and has patina in places. I am planning on having it repainted, but have to decide how far to go with that -- like do I get the interior and engine compartment repainted, too.

My biggest question is the bed. The bed has never been lined and the truck has been used as a truck, so the bed floor shows the kind of use you would expect. I am thinking about getting the rest of the truck repainted, but leaving the bed as is. Would that look wierd? Does anybody have any photos of a truck done that way?

I don't really want to spray-line the bed. I also don't want a bed-liner because I am afraid of corrosion underneath. And I want to still use it as a truck, so I don't want to paint it just to get it scratched up again.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
burkeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: opinions on not repainting the bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkeens View Post
My biggest question is the bed. The bed has never been lined and the truck has been used as a truck, so the bed floor shows the kind of use you would expect. I am thinking about getting the rest of the truck repainted, but leaving the bed as is. Would that look wierd? Does anybody have any photos of a truck done that way?

I don't really want to spray-line the bed. I also don't want a bed-liner because I am afraid of corrosion underneath. And I want to still use it as a truck, so I don't want to paint it just to get it scratched up again.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Have you considered a color matched spray-liner? Just curious what is turning you off since you plan to use it. Either way I'd paint it or line it.....don't want to spend the money repainting the truck to have the bed rust away....
Old 12-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
burkeens

I like the idea, but I worry that the liner would be hard to get off in case of a full restoration some day

Last edited by burkeens; 12-02-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

X2 on the spray on liner. They aren't easy to get off, but it can be done. It will protect the bed from rust and dents in the case of a full on resto down the line.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
burkeens

Hmm. You're starting to convince me.

Is there any difference in the prep work needed for a spray-in line vs. painting? Even though it's in pretty good shape overall, I think it would take quite a bit of work to get it ready for painting.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkeens View Post
Hmm. You're starting to convince me.

Is there any difference in the prep work needed for a spray-in line vs. painting? Even though it's in pretty good shape overall, I think it would take quite a bit of work to get it ready for painting.
Depends on the liner but a good wire wheeling would be the first step.

Another thing to consider is since you are using it as a truck now...and plan a full resto later....do the liner on the floor now to use and when you get ready to restore buy a new floor or a nice used floor only to replace yours.... if it's already dented from use. And if it's not dented, the liner actually provides some impact resistance compared to paint.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
burkeens

Very helpful suggestions! Thanks very much.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
cdowns

paint it up nice and when you go to carry stuff put down a piece of plywood to save the paint
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Brock
upgrading to an older model

I say paint it when you paintthe truck. Its not gonna take much more time or paint to go ahead and throw some paint down, if it gets scratched...well it was scratched to begine with so your not really losing anything. I noticed on the GMC on Auction Hunters the other night, they painted the truck but didn't paint the bed and it stood out like a sore thumb. So I say shoot it and let the scratches land where they may.