The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
bddcustoms

Exhaust Pipe Routing: Side Exit

Hey Board,

I'm planning side exit exhaust (just in front of rear tires). My truck has coils and trailing arms, and the pipes will flow out of shorty-headers, over the tranny cross member, and run through the center cross member. The bends will have to be creative I assume to get it through the center xmember, that out the side, w/out interfering with the trailing arm motion.

Anybody got on pics of chassis like this? any words of wisdom?

thanks.

DTT

1969 C20 - Project: "Big Sexy" [http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=454894]
2003 'Burban - [Big Pop's daily driver]
1969 350/350 Stingray - [as soon as the economy turns...]
1939 Chevy Roadster Pick Up - Project: "Pre-School" (searching now)
bddcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
AusTx68

Re: Exhaust Pipe Routing: Side Exit

I'm running midlength headers, tubular tranny crossmember and ECE center drop crossmember. My pipes run inside the tranny support, thru the crossmember and dump down. The exhaust shop told me I couldn't run inside the frame and exit in front of the rears wheels because they would have to bend it under the frame after exiting the center crossmember. That defeats the purpose of tucking it into the frame. It just wouldn't look right.

Btw, why are you going over the tranny crossmember? If it is stock I suggest going tubular and going over it as well. Looks cleaner and gives you better ground clearance.

Last edited by AusTx68; 03-13-2011 at 11:29 AM.
AusTx68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Daddy Brim

Hi I just got this truck. Not sure if this is what you want, but this is what was done to mine.
Attached Images

Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Mine came off of the Hooker headers, into a reduce and were fed to a 40-series Flowmaster. Out the back of the muffler, which resided directly beneath my butt, the pipe turned and terminated ahead of the rear tire. I can get a picture....they're laying on my trailer...while the truck is "disassembled".

I understand what you're wanting to see. What I don't know, is getting it done without any theatrics.

Joe McPherson, of San Francisco, had a nice little yellow truck that had extensive chassis work done and featured some innovative stuff like re-routing of the exhaust system. I'll put a pic of the truck in this post so you can do some more investigation. But, he had holes in crossmembers and routed his exhaust system through those holes. I can't recall if it terminated ahead of the tires, or was sent out the back. But, without seeing the pic, my feeble brain thinks it was routed through the side of the bed panel. Here's the pic.
Attached Images

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote