The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
wtchop

rebuild or go with a big block?

well I spun a bearing in my 350 yesterday. So should I just rebuild or replace it with a big block? Any suggestions? The big block needs a cam, distributer, water pump and timing set but has all new bearings. Any suggestions?
wtchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

Re: rebuild or go with a big block?

how much do you want to spend

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
truckster

Do you want power or (relative) fuel economy?
truckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
BlackTopMotors

small block for your driver, parts getter...Big Block for everything else (hey just kiddin, do what you like or as has been said can afford...)
BlackTopMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
wtchop

thanks. I'm on a pretty tight budget. I can get the 454 for 800 including headers. It has been rebuilt recently. It belongs to a friend's brother. He was building a truck and decided not to finish the truck. Just wasn't sure of the unseen cost that may appear.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
QKENUF4U

gotta have all kinds of stuff to swap a BB in...
motor mounts
exhaust
pulleys/belts/accessories
intake
carb
cooling system
etc....
i love BB's so if you can afford to change everything that needs changed and you can keep your foot out of it then it may not be as bad on gas as ya think.....
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
wtchop

it is a 1969 454 and I was told my power steering pump, alternator bracket would bolt right up. Still debating.

Thanks to everyone for the input.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
ItsRandy

I went from a sb 350 to a bb 427 on a budget and used all of my sb stuff, pulleys, brackets...everything (both motors had long water pumps). I drove the truck like that for 17 years with 1 radiator replacement and 1 transmission replacement after about 3 years of (work truck) daily driving. I replaced the radiator with a 4 row core and the th350 with a th400, the radiator leaked like crazy and the transmission just wore out. I put headers on the truck about 9 years after putting the bb in...they were real tight (touched) in the motor mount stand area but they went in. I hope this helps. By the way, the bb motor mount stands are hard to find new and are WAY expensive. Some of the members on this board have used stands they will sell you for a lot less money.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #9
wtchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
I went from a sb 350 to a bb 427 on a budget and used all of my sb stuff, pulleys, brackets...everything (both motors had long water pumps). I drove the truck like that for 17 years with 1 radiator replacement and 1 transmission replacement after about 3 years of (work truck) daily driving. I replaced the radiator with a 4 row core and the th350 with a th400, the radiator leaked like crazy and the transmission just wore out. I put headers on the truck about 9 years after putting the bb in...they were real tight (touched) in the motor mount stand area but they went in. I hope this helps. By the way, the bb motor mount stands are hard to find new and are WAY expensive. Some of the members on this board have used stands they will sell you for a lot less money.
Thanks. I'm still looking at all options but I like the idea of putting in the BB

Last edited by wtchop; 06-01-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #10
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

if you go bb you need to change the motor mounts or you can cut the mount so it clears the header tubes but that is so butcher ,i changed mine to the tubular motor mounts headers clear nicely
first pic is with the old headers and small block mounts .2 nd is new headers
Attached Images

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #11
hilandr452

I went from a 402 BB to a 454 and the difference was huge, but the gas mileage is awful. I also went from stock carb and intake to 750 cfm edelbrock performer and edelbrock performer manifold. Made an old truck feel new again!
73 Chevy Camper Special (Yes, it's badged a camper special) Flat Bed Motorhome conversion 454, standard tranny

"DON'T TREAD ON ME !!!"

My Project: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20829244 , http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24654442
hilandr452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #12
MARKDTN

Gas what it is and it's only going to get worse$$$, I would use the money for a fuel injection swap. It's going to cost more than $800-but a BB swap will too. Just a quick look on car-part.com shows ~100k mile Vortec 350s for about $850, TBI 350s for say $700. Both of these are a more-or-less bolt-in swap. Figure another $600 for harness and some for misc. You could do these for under $2000. Or you could rebuild your stock bottom end and put Tuned-Port on top of that for about the same price. You could buy a wreck and take parts out and come in for less. You could do an LSx swap, but that is a whole layer more complex.

My bottom line in 2011, no way I swap in a BB. No way I put in something that is not fuel injected unless it is a full bore restoration.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcsd553 View Post
it is a 1969 454 and I was told my power steering pump, alternator bracket would bolt right up. Still debating.

Thanks to everyone for the input.
Might wanna check the numbers on the engine. I believe the 454 didn't show up until 1970.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
wtchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Might wanna check the numbers on the engine. I believe the 454 didn't show up until 1970.

Gary
Will do thanks. I am probably going to just rebuild my 350. After looking at the cost of everything. But I sure would love to put a BB in it.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

I went BB. I slowly gathered all the right parts and when I was ready made the swap. I LOVE IT dont think I'll ever have another SB at least not in this truck, Way cool and Lots of FUN
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 CST Short Wide View Post
I went BB. I slowly gathered all the right parts and when I was ready made the swap. I LOVE IT dont think I'll ever have another SB at least not in this truck, Way cool and Lots of FUN
Mine came with a BB 402, I can't go back either. Have 2 high HP small blocks in the shop....bagged and tagged.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #17
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 CST Short Wide View Post

Once you go big block you never go back.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #18
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcsd553 View Post
Will do thanks. I am probably going to just rebuild my 350. After looking at the cost of everything. But I sure would love to put a BB in it.
What do you want to do with the truck? Is it a daily driver or a show piece? Do you want to cruise or drag race? All these things really come into play to make the best decision. If it is a DD and/or cruiser, the fuel injection swap will pay for itself. If you want to go fast or want a show truck a BB may be ok. Just as an example, in my '83 K20, the original 350 is like 180 HP. It got 14 mpg city and about 18 highway (700R4 and 3.42 gears). I swapped in a stone stock '90 L98 Corvette TPI engine (250 HP) and my mileage went up to about 17 city and 21 highway-same exhaust, same transmission, same rear end. If you take fuel at $4/gal that is $.05/mi savings. Roughly every 10,000 miles I spend $500 less in fuel with $4 fuel. At $5/gal the spread is over $.06/mi. The performance increase is also noticable. My uncle bought it brand new and I have owned this truck since it had 42K miles and you were always on the throttle to maintain 65-70 mph. Now it will run 80 with no movement of the throttle. My point is this, if you want a BB just to say you have one-then get a BB. There is nothing like the bragging rights to say "I have a bored out 454 under the hood". But if you want to drive it much, you may want to consider fuel injection-it truly is the best of both worlds. If I did my swap again today, I would buy a 5.3 LS style engine. Just look at the ratings on LS engines. You can get to 400 HP pretty easily and have the torque of a 454 without the annoying hot start issues and get mileage like a 350. It might cost a little more on the front end, but if you put many miles on it you will have payback in fuel savings. Just my .02
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
wtchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
What do you want to do with the truck? Is it a daily driver or a show piece? Do you want to cruise or drag race? All these things really come into play to make the best decision. If it is a DD and/or cruiser, the fuel injection swap will pay for itself. If you want to go fast or want a show truck a BB may be ok. Just as an example, in my '83 K20, the original 350 is like 180 HP. It got 14 mpg city and about 18 highway (700R4 and 3.42 gears). I swapped in a stone stock '90 L98 Corvette TPI engine (250 HP) and my mileage went up to about 17 city and 21 highway-same exhaust, same transmission, same rear end. If you take fuel at $4/gal that is $.05/mi savings. Roughly every 10,000 miles I spend $500 less in fuel with $4 fuel. At $5/gal the spread is over $.06/mi. The performance increase is also noticable. My uncle bought it brand new and I have owned this truck since it had 42K miles and you were always on the throttle to maintain 65-70 mph. Now it will run 80 with no movement of the throttle. My point is this, if you want a BB just to say you have one-then get a BB. There is nothing like the bragging rights to say "I have a bored out 454 under the hood". But if you want to drive it much, you may want to consider fuel injection-it truly is the best of both worlds. If I did my swap again today, I would buy a 5.3 LS style engine. Just look at the ratings on LS engines. You can get to 400 HP pretty easily and have the torque of a 454 without the annoying hot start issues and get mileage like a 350. It might cost a little more on the front end, but if you put many miles on it you will have payback in fuel savings. Just my .02
I"m going to look into it thanks.