The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
c50rob

windshield issue

Last Friday a guy attempted to install new front windshield in my truck, finally gave up after two hours and ordered another. Today he showed up with new glass, both are from Pilkington I think was the company name, anyhow you can lay one glass over the other and a definite difference in how the corners of glass are curved. Well after two more hours he gave up and said he will order another and be back by first of next week. Has anyone had same issue? Is another vendor for the windshield better than another?
Thanks in advance.
c50rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem
Re: windshield issue

You very well may need another installer
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
c50rob

Do not thnk it is the installer that is an issue, both pieces of glass were slightly different. This installer wa referred to me by the painter who did my truck, he has been installing auto glass for 16 years.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by c50rob View Post
Do not thnk it is the installer that is an issue, both pieces of glass were slightly different. This installer wa referred to me by the painter who did my truck, he has been installing auto glass for 16 years.
It is easy to check the fit of the glass by covering the bottom lip of the opening with shop rags and with one person on each side of the truck sit the glass "without the rubber" in the lip and lean it into the opening. Slight variations are compensated by the rubber but the glass should follow the contour reasonably close. Comparing 2 pieces of glass to each other that he could not install serves no purpose.
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Installing for 16 years.The truck was over 20 years old when he started installing.So you have to also remember that the installer probably hasn't done many of these trucks.They are much different that the newer vehicles.Checking fit like CaptainRMW suggested is the way every installer I've had do one did it.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
grace72

what brand of gasket r u useing? if you arent useing the original you need to use pressision brand. ive been installing glass for 17 yrs . pressision and original r the only ones ive had luck with. there may be slight differances in each piece of glass but it shouldnt make that big of a differance on installation. after 17 yrs i still struggel with this windshield. they are very tight!! even worse if they have the chrome inlay!! if you have a decent gasket my guess is the installer is getting frustrated and useing ordering a new glass as an out for that day.
grace72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
rsavage

When I stripped the Blazer for paint/body work last year, I cut the rubber and removed the windshield. Bought a new rubber and had the installer who did my Suburban side and rear windows last year come over to put it back in. It took him 4 visits. First day he stopped and just put the rubber on the windshield to let it stretch overnight. The next day he came back and we started the install. Only got the bottom and the two sides almost up to the corners. The rubber was too high for the windshield to tip in on the top. Took it out and silicone sprayed the rubber grooves and the windshield lip. Long story short, it took a couple of more times to get it in fully. Probably the repop rubber was made too thick but it is in and fits like a glove. Glad he was patient and didn't try to force it. Maybe you can try some silicone spray? Seemed to help us get the windsield down in the rubber and the rubber down fully on the lip.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I am not a glass installer but I have installed at least 10 windshields in our style trucks. New ones, old ones, new rubber, old rubber, trim, and no trim. I have put them bottom in first and top in first. I have not had one I couldn't get in within a couple of hours and I have never broken one. You have to have at least 3 people to do it right and a lot of patience. I am not saying you can't get a bad windshield or gasket but if an installer shows up without a helper and tries to install it by himself I can just about guarantee he won't get it in... and I'll double that guarantee if it has the trim.

The wife and I put one in the Blue '67 in 2008.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=299233

It was a lot tougher with only 2 people but we did get it in.

I'm not posting this to brag or put anyone down. I'm saying anyone who is good with their hands can do it if they have the help and correct tools and two knowledgeable glass installers should be able to put in one of these windshields (without trim) in 45 minutes to 1 hour.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
c50rob

Cannot recall the brand on gasket that I bought, all gaskets came from Atheys truck and rear window went in easily. Next week I will try and be onhand when he comes with another windshield. I was told that they laid the second window in frame as suggested and looked good, there were two people attempting the install, the glass installer and the shops painter was assisting.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
Indyuke

The first time I had a guy come out and "help" me, which basically meant he did most of the work while I watched and learned, lol. I'd never heard so much swearing, but he was serious when he said he used to these trucks many years ago because within a half an hour it was in.

The second time my wife and I did it ourselves. Turned out great both times. But as mentioned above it sure helps to have precision brand gaskets and OEM windshields.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
midniteblues

Boy I can feel for anyone trying this having no expierence I atempeted my first time with a new gasket and glass the new glass was really thin 3/4 of the way around CRACK! boy i was mad I found one in a buddies shed $20 buck later he said Ill give you a hand If i can do 55 chevys this should be easy half way through CRACK! well he gave my 20 back. found another nice one and left it sit for 3 months before the kid said "lets u tube it an see how its done" we had it in in ten minutes perfect.so easy it was stupid now i wish I had another new one live n learn and after all that I still got it done for less than an Installer
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
LEX

Why is more difficult to install a windshield using a gasket that takes the stainless trim?
LEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Sammy

The trim in the seal gives you less flexability installing the window. Another seal/ trim compatabilty issue. The new seal can be so hard and less flex anyway. 100 degree day and plenty of dawn soap using the cord method along with the proper seal for correct year trim you are using.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
Chevyman680063

I can only imagine how much fun the glass installer is gonna have installing a wrap around windshield in my '63 when I get around to fixing it up.

1968 Chevrolet C10 Short Step
Chevyman680063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
DeputyDan

I had the same issue with safelite auto doing my front glass and safelite is a national chain. The reason they had such trouble ended up not being the glass but the window gasket as I was asking them to use the one that goes with the chrome around the window. The guy wanted to put a solid black rubber gasket aroung and ditch the chrome as he said it was the issue. I refused and he called a guy out that has been going glass for 40+ years. The guy had it in around ten minutes later!
DeputyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:24 AM   #16
rkn463

Several years back I had a friend of mine do all of the paint and body work on my 67. When he pulled it all apart it still had the original windshield. I bought a complete new gasket set and when my buddy tried to reinstall the windshield he could not get it in. We called the local guy that had sold us the gasket set (who also restored trucks) and he referred my friend to his glass man for advice. My friend called the glass man and was told that the factory glass is slightly thicker than the replacement glass and said that trying to reinstall factory glass in an aftermarket gasket was just about impossible. Long story short we just had the glass guy come out with a new windshield and he installed it by himself in about 30 minutes.

Now whether he was just trying to sell me a piece of glass or that is really the fact I do not know. It really made no difference to me either way because my original glass was hazy and I was just trying to put off replacing it for a bit anyway.

-Richard
Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
blkcorvair

First windshield I ever did was my 69. Two or three weeks ago now. Alot of soapy water and patience is right. Defintally need two sets of hands. I used the rope method. Tried going from bottom up twice with no success. Finally went from top down and we massaged the bottom in with a plastic scraper. may 2-3 hours total. But after all the horror stories about glass guys, I wasnt going to trust my original windshield to someone that may be in a rush or is having an off day.. (Precision gasket)
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote