The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Stephanie

Engine questions

Hi everyone! I'm new here, but I have been reading the forum for a few days now while waiting to be approved to post. I am hoping some of you out there might be able to help me with finding out some information on the engine that came in our 1950 3100. We know it is a straight 6, but it looks like it has been modified at some point. Here are a few photos:

We found this on the engine block. I tried researching any company by the name of Central State, but kept coming up short. Does anyone know what this means aside from stating the modifications?

This was on the top of the engine. Does it mean General Motors? Or are we way off on that guess?

Now something really confusing is this. What appears to be a regular stamp at a glance, looks to be a double stamp when closely viewed. Was this scratched out and restamped? Is this normal after a modification? Any help is appreciated on figuring out what this means.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post! I hope that someone can help point me in the right direction on figuring out more about this engine
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
low67chevy

Re: Engine questions

looks like possible .040 pistons , crank and rods were machined .010 as well and yes the GM means General Motors as for the block casting number hard to say what stamp it is.. if its been stamped over top as well it will only tell you where it was manufactured, and possibly the number it was on the line etc.
low67chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
mr48chev

The Central States remanufactured engine tag is just that. A company that rebuilt engines and maybe still does named Central States rebuilt the engine using .040 pistons and having the rods and mains machined .010 undersize.

I can't id the serial number stamped in the pad on the engine but maybe someone else can.

I can't see all of the head casting number to be able to hunt that down either.

Does the engine have bolts in the top of valve cover or screws around the edge of the valve cover to hold it on. And does the side cover go all the way up the side of the head or does it stop just below the head?
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
OrrieG

Welcome, take a full photo, valve cover and side plate will id it.
Posted via Mobile Device
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
1project2many

Hi, Stephanie.

It can be fun tracking down info like this but it's often necessary to use sources other than the internet.

Most shops installing remanufactured engines today buy a complete engine to replace the existing one. The original engine is then shipped back to the rebuilder and eventually it will be scrapped or find it's way to someone else's vehicle. I can imagine scenarios where the original engine is sent to the rebuilder's facility but they're not common. In earlier times it was less common to buy an engine that was already remanufactured. Back then the engine from the truck was rebuilt by a local rebuilder. But in either case, you almost have to know some history of the truck in order to determine a geographic area to look for the rebuilder who's name is on that tag. And with so many shops closing up in the last ten years, you should expect that the company is out of business.

I would assume the engine has been replaced and is not original to that truck. Provide the pictures asked for and people here will help determine if it's of the correct type for that truck or if it's been replaced with one from a different generation. Engine restamp might have been to satisfy a DMV requirement, to pass off an engine as original, or from factory.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
OrrieG

Pics in the Project thread looks to be a couple of 216's, valve cover attached from the top, not side rim. That assumes they are not a GMC engine. If I am wrong someone else will chime in! That oil filter is really rare with the military marked top. I just sold a NOS Fram from that era on Ebay for well north of $100.00. The dash brings back memories, my third truck, bought in 1968 at a forest service auction has similar instructions. Also had "gas" stenciled below the gas cap.

Last edited by OrrieG; 06-21-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
Stephanie

Thank you to all that responded. I do apologize that it has taken me so long to get the requested images up. I hope these help! And thank you again for any and all tips

1950 Army Chevy 3100 build: The Chester Chronicles

Proud Army Wife!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
That oil filter is really rare with the military marked top. I just sold a NOS Fram from that era on Ebay for well north of $100.00. The dash brings back memories, my third truck, bought in 1968 at a forest service auction has similar instructions. Also had "gas" stenciled below the gas cap.
Thanks so much for checking out my project thread And awesome sell with the NOS Fram! So great too that you had a truck with the stencils on the dash. Did you try and preserve them at all? We are trying to figure out how to do that. Also, thanks for the info about having a "gas" stencil below the gas cap because we are definitely going to be adding that now!

Proud Army Wife!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
mknittle

Check inliners.org also lots of info on these engines.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
Check inliners.org also lots of info on these engines.
Awesome! Thanks for the site

Proud Army Wife!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
Thanks so much for checking out my project thread And awesome sell with the NOS Fram! So great too that you had a truck with the stencils on the dash. Did you try and preserve them at all? We are trying to figure out how to do that. Also, thanks for the info about having a "gas" stencil below the gas cap because we are definitely going to be adding that now!
No, I removed all the Forest Service markings, I used it as my daily driver until the Army intervened.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the site
You are welcome.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote