The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
focusedontheprize

Rear sits too high

So I am getting down to the final stages on my '49 Chevy. However, this past weekend I was curious on my ride height and went down and took a measurement. From the bottom of the wheel opening lip to the ground I am 26 7/8". I am shooting for a 23 5/8" stance. Here is the current setup:

- Stock frame with no C notch
- Stock leaf spring (removed 2 leafs per pack, but also ran polyliner in between the springs)
- 3" lowering blocks
- 245/15/?? wheels (off a 02 Mustang). Not the wheels I will be running
- Planning on running 18x8s out back
- '97 Ford Explorer rear end

I want to go lower, however I do not want to C notch the frame at this point. I was planning on running air shocks out back (I do plan on putting the trailer hitch back on and using it).

My question: Can I go lower without causing problems?
Can I achieve the 23 5/8 with a) C notching the frame and b) having to remove springs?

This is my first truck (rat rod) build so I am learning as I go. Thanks.

JM
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Rear sits too high

I don't think you can go that low without notching the frame. I'd have to go measure but I don't think my truck sits that low now with the 215 tires on the back and 2 inches clearance between the axle and frame.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
focusedontheprize

So notching it would be the only option huh. Hmm, could be a winter project.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
mknittle

I figure I will be right about 23 at the top of the highist point of the rear of the frame with 30" tires And still have 4" of suspention travel on my 52GMC But I am running a triangulated four link with coil overs.

The wheel diamater dosen't mean anuthing{to a point} you need to know the diamater of the tire or you cant mathmatically figure the where you will be. I picked 30"tire with a 15" wheel for refrence. You could have a 30" tire and and 20'wheel and the center will be the same.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
I figure I will be right about 23 at the top of the highist point of the rear of the frame with 30" tires And still have 4" of suspention travel on my 52GMC But I am running a triangulated four link with coil overs.

The wheel diamater dosen't mean anuthing{to a point} you need to know the diamater of the tire or you cant mathmatically figure the where you will be. I picked 30"tire with a 15" wheel for refrence. You could have a 30" tire and and 20'wheel and the center will be the same.
That is the other crossroad I am at. I have been trying to figure out what time of wheels I wanted to run on the truck. I would like to run the widest tire I can on the stock frame, but for the tire height I need to figure that out. I was considering a 245/55R18 for the rear.

I also realized this morning I can definitely pull a few leaves out of the spring packs. I will be doing that.