The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
Adamperry

New to the board 78jimmy question

I bought a 78jimmy. All gauges other then fuel were working. Althought the lights behind them would only come one when I reached through the hole where the ac duct would be a carefully adjusted the bulb behind gauges which was very loose. There was a printed circuit on the back of the guages that has slowly gone to hell (tearing and peeling. Now, only the volt and fuel pressure work when the lights are off ther right blinkers makes all signals flash like a haZard lights, left signal works. and when they're on, only voltage works right blinker and flashers do nothing, no gauge lights or speedometer light now. Speedometer/tachometer are still working as they should. Emergency brake like stays on all the time. I can get a reaction from gauges and their lights by moving the torn parts of the printed circuit on back of gauges which leads me to believe that is my problem. How much of a pain is it to install a new circuit from lmc or somewhere else if y'all have a recommendation? It gives the option for with or without tach. Should I get the one with or without tachometer? Like a said speedo and tach are working fine which makes me wonder if they're are wired separately or the circuit just hasn't come apart on that part of the circuit. I'm horrible when it comes to electrical. Any and all help would be MUCH APPRECIATED....PICTURES ARE INCOURAGED.
Adamperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Re: New to the board 78jimmy question

I'd start with take it out
dismantle it
paint the shell white,depending on how bad it is
check and crazy glue any paths that might be broken/loose
check/clean all bulbs ( I added extra Leds)
(some replace them with newer LEDs,but the paint works amazing too)
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
Adamperry

I'm already lost. I do not like electrical stuff but how does paint help? the circuit is outside of the gauges on the back so would dismantling it be necesarry? My main concern is getting the right blinker to blink right again unread of hazards and for hazards to work....and especially my temp gauge. If I sound dumb that's because I am. im truly impaired when it comes to this kind of electrical work.
Adamperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #4
andrewmp6

The white paint helps reflect the lights more stock they are kinda worthless.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamperry View Post
I'm already lost. I do not like electrical stuff but how does paint help? the circuit is outside of the gauges on the back so would dismantling it be necesarry? My main concern is getting the right blinker to blink right again unread of hazards and for hazards to work....and especially my temp gauge. If I sound dumb that's because I am. im truly impaired when it comes to this kind of electrical work.
to remove the "board" you have to remove the clips holding the contacts for everything
this alone can wreck it,(see clip overlap)pulling from the back,but it can be done
with the gauges out,it's gentler to push (push red then green)out one side then the other
this allows you to inspect everything coming out and then putting it back in.
board cracks and loose clips,dirty contacts all add up.
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote