The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Jahloha

Pulling All Wiring

Team:

I am at the stage to pull my wiring from the truck. I plan on buying the AAW kit, but before I do that, I would like to pull my wiring as completely as possible to check out if its salvageable.

Is there any logic to pulling the wiring as a whole? Or should I even bother trying to pull and salvage it?

I am just trying to possibly save a couple hundred bucks if possible.

Mahalo

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
54blackhornet

Re: Pulling All Wiring

I removed mine part by part, front head light , engine, under dash part was hardest to figure out but not to bad. Rear loom runs along driver side frame is easy. My under dash loom was cut up so bad I will be replacing the whole harness.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
mmiddle

The underhood harness is two piece at the square connector block/fuse block. Depending on options you might have some extra wires(like tach). Unplug wires at fuse block under dash remove them separately then remove fuse block and attached harness.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
MARKDTN

IMHO unless you have a lot of custom stuff, you are way ahead to keep stock harnesses. To do an aftermarket harness right takes a lot of time. You need to solder and shrink and find correct terminals and shells then route and wrap. If you just butt splice old pigtails to new wires you are no better off than a hacked up original. I would just pony up for new factory style harnesses, take half a day to put them in and ride. To do an aftermarket harness right will take a few days work and some chasing connector parts.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
70blackfish

i just got a new under dash harness fuse block and all, quality and fitment were great. will take a picture and post
Old 12-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

[QUOTE= To do an aftermarket harness right will take a few days work and some chasing connector parts.[/QUOTE]

AAW kits come With all the factory connectors.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Lee H

When freshened up my truck last year and prepared it for paint I removed the factory harness. The rear pig tail & the under dash harness was totally hacked up. I was surprised anything worked, well there were a few problems but......The parts of the harness that not hacked up were very brittle with some items falling apart as I removed it.

I purchased the AAW classic upgrade kit, with provisions for internally regulated alternator and HEI, it was a total kit will everything provided, except the crimpers. The harness and the instructions were top notch and the kit was easy to install.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
1972SUPERSB

I am doing this in my truck as well. Just installed new front harness for lights, rear light harness and front harness for starter, temp sender, distributor etc. all bought from Classic parts and fit perfect. All matched factory colors and lengths

1972 Cheyenne Super SWB 350, Auto, Bucket Seats w/Console, Tach, Factory A/C, P/S ,P/B, Tilt

1998 Chevy 1500 Ext Cab 5.7, Pewter w/blue interior
1972SUPERSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
CUSTOM/10

I'll be ordering a complete set up from M&H soon, there won't be an old wire in the truck. I have way too much time and money into my truck to take a chance of some old brittle wires shorting out and burning my truck to the ground. M&H makes harnesses just like the originals, plug & play. They also make a few mods for things like, HEI, internally reg. alt.

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
mrein3

If you have more money than time I would get an aftermarket, complete harness and plug-n-play.
If you're like me and tend to have more time than money I would rebuild what you got.
Its easy to do. Pull a complete harness. Most of the little brass connectors inside the plastic connectors are "Packard Type 56" connectors. NAPA part number 725147 is the female connector of which most of your connections will need.
The wire can be had at Menards/Lows/Home Depot. Stick to replacing wire with the same color so in the future you know what you are looking at when you are chasing a problem.

I keep those little type 56 connectors on hand because I own three vehicles from this vintage. Any time I have a problem I just fix it right the first time.

I should add the male type 56 connector in your truck is NAPA part number 725145.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
I removed mine part by part, front head light , engine, under dash part was hardest to figure out but not to bad. Rear loom runs along driver side frame is easy. My under dash loom was cut up so bad I will be replacing the whole harness.
Just what I have started to do, outside the fact my front clip is off already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
IMHO unless you have a lot of custom stuff, you are way ahead to keep stock harnesses. To do an aftermarket harness right takes a lot of time. You need to solder and shrink and find correct terminals and shells then route and wrap. If you just butt splice old pigtails to new wires you are no better off than a hacked up original. I would just pony up for new factory style harnesses, take half a day to put them in and ride. To do an aftermarket harness right will take a few days work and some chasing connector parts.
If AAW wasn't around, I would think twice about doing what I am about to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
AAW kits come With all the factory connectors.
Have you done an install with AAW? Would you feel safe removing every wire, knowing the AAW would have you covered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
When freshened up my truck last year and prepared it for paint I removed the factory harness. The rear pig tail & the under dash harness was totally hacked up. I was surprised anything worked, well there were a few problems but......The parts of the harness that not hacked up were very brittle with some items falling apart as I removed it.

I purchased the AAW classic upgrade kit, with provisions for internally regulated alternator and HEI, it was a total kit will everything provided, except the crimpers. The harness and the instructions were top notch and the kit was easy to install.
What crimpers did you end up buying? I have read this is the one area to get a decent set. Let me know, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SUPERSB View Post
I am doing this in my truck as well. Just installed new front harness for lights, rear light harness and front harness for starter, temp sender, distributor etc. all bought from Classic parts and fit perfect. All matched factory colors and lengths
With AAW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOM/10 View Post
I'll be ordering a complete set up from M&H soon, there won't be an old wire in the truck. I have way too much time and money into my truck to take a chance of some old brittle wires shorting out and burning my truck to the ground. M&H makes harnesses just like the originals, plug & play. They also make a few mods for things like, HEI, internally reg. alt.

Gary
Yeah, I am glad I have read up on AAW because I know I gotta decide what alternator I will be running before I place my order, correct?

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
If you have more money than time I would get an aftermarket, complete harness and plug-n-play.
If you're like me and tend to have more time than money I would rebuild what you got.
Its easy to do. Pull a complete harness. Most of the little brass connectors inside the plastic connectors are "Packard Type 56" connectors. NAPA part number 725147 is the female connector of which most of your connections will need.
The wire can be had at Menards/Lows/Home Depot. Stick to replacing wire with the same color so in the future you know what you are looking at when you are chasing a problem.

I keep those little type 56 connectors on hand because I own three vehicles from this vintage. Any time I have a problem I just fix it right the first time.

I should add the male type 56 connector in your truck is NAPA part number 725145.
Great post! Thanks for the input. Do you happen to have any pictures of your process? Have you rewired a truck all at once using this method?

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
Lee H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahloha View Post
What crimpers did you end up buying? I have read this is the one area to get a decent set. Let me know, thanks.
I bought both sizes from AAW, they are both needed.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
mrein3

Quote:
Great post! Thanks for the input. Do you happen to have any pictures of your process? Have you rewired a truck all at once using this method?
No. However I bought a used AC wiring harness when I converted to a stock AC setup and rebuilt it before I installed it. The connector behind the fan speed switch was melted. When I looked at other AC trucks in the yards I noticed they are all melted. Because of that I orded a new plastic connector from a supplier - I think I used LMC at that time - and a new switch. I then simply rebuilt it all and never looked back.

I've never experienced problems with old, unhacked wire so I only fix/replace what is messed up.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
1972SUPERSB

Yes the AAW wire harness. I really like them a lot. Fit great and look nice. Wouldn't buy any other brand.

1972 Cheyenne Super SWB 350, Auto, Bucket Seats w/Console, Tach, Factory A/C, P/S ,P/B, Tilt

Old 12-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
CUSTOM/10

Yeah there are about 4 different alt plugs, so you'll need to know witch your using. When I spoke to M&H they said I'd also need to know what side of the motor the alt will be on so they have the correct layout and wire length.

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:26 AM   #17
Jahloha

This picture is so boring, yet it represents such a long decision process hahaha.
Name:  Wiring Pulled.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  39.2 KB

This is all the wiring from the firewall and throughout the engine bay. The AAW kite will come with all this, correct? (as I bite my nails)

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-14-2013, 01:39 AM   #18
1972SUPERSB

Quote:
This picture is so boring, yet it represents such a long decision process hahaha.
Attachment 1187203

This is all the wiring from the firewall and throughout the engine bay. The AAW kite will come with all this, correct? (as I bite my nails)
Yes if you bought the front harness for the lights and the one for the starter etc, it will come with the ends to plug in the fuse panel on the fire wall all the way to the areas you need to go to. Post it up when you get it back together or if you need some help

Old 12-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #19
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Have you done an install with AAW? Would you feel safe removing every wire, knowing the AAW would have you covered?
QUOTE]

Yes I have. I Did remove all wiring. If I can do it, you surely can.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #20
jmorri34

In this for the long haul, I am about to do the exact same thing with an AAW setup as soon as I can afford it. I would think there are a ton of us out here that would love for you to take pics all through the way to help us as well if you could. If there is anyway way we could help I know I sure would. Thanks in avance for any help along your way!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568661
jmorri34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #21
Jahloha

I plan on doing write up for sure, but this project won't be happening until about February/March. Keep your eye out.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread