The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2003, 03:37 AM   #1
Eyegore
What Hump?

Front End Rebuild - Done

Slonaker thank you for directing us to Mikes rebuild article, finished late this evening. Put the drop coils back on, lowered it about 2-3 inches, new upper and lower balljoints, new a-frame bushings, inner and outer tie rods, looks good and everything seems ok. Quick question though, temporary alignment, How! We measured from center to center front and back of tires got it pretty close, anything else we can do?

Thanks again.

Tom

PS my son did all the work himself, I was busy putting my bathroom back together, so I only went out to offer advice and tear one side down. Pretty proud of him, chip off the old block. Will send picture soon.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 06:16 AM   #2
allthrtl
Available for Adoption

Good to hear it went well......I'll be tackling the same project myself in a few weeks....
Old 12-22-2003, 05:53 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

not much ya can do except try to count threads ont he inner and outer tie rod ends best bet is to get it properly alligned ASAP
by the way cool about having your son do the work hey he wants to drive it he better learn to fix it thats how i raise mine!

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 05:52 PM   #4
Eyegore
What Hump?

Yep, he's not only wrenching on it himself, he's paying for it too and insurance also. He bought all the front end parts himself, haggled with the dopes at autozone who sold him the wrong tie rod ends. Bought a new aftermarket seat and installed it, installed cowl hood. Yeah he's throwin some major $$$ into it in the last few months. In fact he's tracking a 1 ton crew cab for the next project - crew with a short bed, check out the parts board, we've been tracking different ideas on what others have posted.

He plans to have everything finished by this weekend - he's now lowering the rear even further, and we'll probably start a box for his shifter and speaker this weekend also and find out what is needed to install header he picked up at the wrecking yard.

Yeah I'm really only supplying the advice, ideas, tools and garage.

Tom
Old 12-23-2003, 06:20 PM   #5
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by tom mathein
.... Yeah he's throwin some major $$$ into it in the last few months....
Well, I'd say "let 'em throw the money at the truck". Certainly many other - less productive - things he could be doing with his money. Sounds like the young man has a good head on his shoulders, and he knows a good thing (bowtie) when he sees one.

Merry Christmas

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 08:38 PM   #6
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Yes, for sure, you can throw a bunch of money in these things. But as said, there are a lot of other things he could be using it on besides the truck. For sure, if nothing else, he has gained a lot of knowledge that he will never forget. I consider it like paying for schooling. Just think of the money he will be able to save when other vehicles he owns needs repairing. I wish I had the money I've saved myself repairing my stuff. I could retire.

Glad everything went smoothly. It gives you a real good feeling when you write a article and put it on the web, and folks get use out of it.

Mike
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 11:39 PM   #7
Eyegore
What Hump?

Hey thanks mike, the info on your web page was real helpful. The only trouble we had was getting the balljoint off, I had a ball joint puller but it would not fit over the spindle. So my son turned the puller over and used it to press out the spindle on the top - worked like a charm.
By the way what is your web address again, we want to use your pattern for the center console you made up. Garretts keeping his center seat so we will only need the part that goes up to the seat and under the dash.

To bad you don't have the exact dimensions I could draw it up in Autocad.

Tom
Old 12-24-2003, 12:59 AM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

The website is http://www.73-87.com but it's not mine any longer. bigblock73, Jeff Dodge has taken it over for me. I've retired from being a webmaster. Look for some very cool things on the site in the coming months.

Mike
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote