The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
John H.

Spid questions D99 Special two tone 72 Cheyenne super

This is a truck I have been collecting parts for. I will be starting a build thread.

SS Tim did ask about 71-72 Spids with the D99 "Special Two-tone paint.

This trucks blue door sticker is long gone, but it looks like a very early built truck.

1st question is it should be a white roof / red orange/white between the upper and lower mouldings?

2nd question is what mirror is the DG6 OSRV mirror chrome: Small sport mirror?

Anyway, frame is back from powder coaters and the cab/doors/fenders and were stripped and epoxy primed today. We have the eaton HO52 to rebuild and the front Dana 44 to make it a rolling chassis.
Attached Images

John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
litew8

Re: Spid questions D99 Special two tone 72 Cheyenne super

I don't know what makes any of that 'special', but if it is like any other truck, yes, white top with white stripes on sides. Why are there blank areas on your SPID? That's different, I've never seen before. Looks like the option number associated means 'blank' or 'space'? Either way, it looks like it was loaded with options.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

The color of the exterior and interior are just like my 72 Super! See the link in my signature. Note the top of the dash is painted flat black to match the dash pad.

DG6 are base "sport" mirrors.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
litew8

Found SS Tim's explanation from last year - for a GMC in context though so idk:

"Not wanting to again go too far into this, the RPO D99 code is for the two-tone cab roof paint divider molding. It normally is not seen on SPIDs in the US (nor needed for service) but is on Canadian SPIDs. Normally it will only be seen on build sheets and basically notes the build needs the divider molding clip studs welded to the cab."

Looks like you are located near Canada...

Last edited by litew8; 04-16-2014 at 08:51 PM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:17 AM   #5
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
...1st question is it should be a white roof / red orange/white between the upper and lower mouldings?

2nd question is what mirror is the DG6 OSRV mirror chrome: Small sport mirror?...
The paint code 458 is for Red Orange or "Hugger Orange" (524) and White (521) in the Deluxe Two-Tone. So yes, that is a white roof, red orange body and a white side panel between the moldings just like your Longhorn30 was or Pete's truck. D99 was simply a divider molding code for two-tone paint. Since you have a standard paint code I feel "special" is an non-representative anomaly in the description.

DG6 is the code for the standard fixed arm mirrors people often incorrectly called "sport mirrors". There was actually a code for left, right or both. In your case I'd go with a pair as they were standard in 72.

Overall that SPID is formatted far more like a built sheet than a SPID as we discussed in an email before. There are many line items for standard base build parts that just don't belong on a SPID.

St. Louis did strange things with their SPIDs and this a very early truck, being ~3200, is an example of transition. It was at this time they were changing over from the alpha suffix codes to the numerics seen here. Seems like every option on their 72 SPIDs started early with a 10 and as production proceeded the correct exception codes filtered in changing some to 20 or 30 in many cases. Since my original email to you on this I was able to see more from near this production time that lead credibility to this being an actual production SPID.

As far as the blanks go P10 is the base tire carrier equipment (underbed) and the RP9 code is for 9.50-16.5/D highway tread tires on 6.75" wide wheels. Why it is coded six time is another anomaly as the code actualy was used to designate 4 (front and rear), 2 (front C20-30) or a spare tire. Chalk that up to a stutter.

Last edited by SS Tim; 04-17-2014 at 03:26 AM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
As far as the blanks go P10 is the base tire carrier equipment (underbed) and the RP9 code is for 9.50-16.5/D highway tread tires on 6.75" wide wheels. Why it is coded six time is another anomaly as the code actualy was used to designate 4 (front and rear), 2 (front C20-30) or a spare tire. Chalk that up to a stutter.
Agree; came here to say this.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
John H.

Thanks everyone! The D99 threw me off and I just wanted to be sure after reading a post from SS Tim asking for 71-72 spids with the D99 code.

I am adding a speed warning tach dash, am/fm, manual throttle and tow hooks. Looking forward to finally build this thing....

I like the small fixed mirror option too.
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote