The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
Wildman65

Can you adjust turn signal canceling cam??

So I have a steering column in my 65 C10 that is roughly out of a mid late 70's maybe early 80's Chevy truck. My issue is:
My turn sigs work like they should and they cancel but my right turn signal, when driving straight, will cancel with the slightest move of the steering wheel to the left. Which of coarse makes the left turn signal sometimes not cancel. The cancel springs are fine. I've been googling this off and on for a while and I just can't seem to find anything. Everything I come up with has to do with broken cam, or broken springs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wildman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Axle

Re: Can you adjust turn signal canceling cam??

Did you change springs? I've had failing springs show similar symptoms like that before eventually breaking. You can buy the springs as a set, or if you have an old column laying around, take it out of there to see if it infact is the primary problem source.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
Wildman65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Did you change springs? I've had failing springs show similar symptoms like that before eventually breaking. You can buy the springs as a set, or if you have an old column laying around, take it out of there to see if it infact is the primary problem source.

Alex.
I may try that. Couldn't hurt. Just seems like the canceling cam is off a bit.
thanks!
Old 11-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
Ski-me

I just replace mine in my 89' and all I can say is it feels like a new truck! The blinkers now engage precisely and cancel equally as well. I also changed out my lock cylinder at the same time.

I got my stuff off of Amazon
ACDelco D6393A Switch Assembly (I paid $60...now $80??)
ACDelco D1403B Ignition Lock Cylinder
ACDelco D6262D Switch Assembly (this one is the main, cirlce one)

If you go this route, be sure to tighten the 4 bolts with red LockTite. That will help tighten up the loose column wiggle too.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
1774btcrew

On an additional note if it is a tilt. Even if the column doesn't feel loose, there is a good chance the bolts are loose and it is worth completely disassembling and using red Loctite as posted above. I tear down every tilt column that I get and ALL have loose screws even if the tilt feels good!

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman65 View Post
I may try that. Couldn't hurt. Just seems like the canceling cam is off a bit.
thanks!
Theres a "bump" along the legth of the horn ring that is the cancelling cam. Assuming you have a factory steering wheel, if it was off that far you would not be able to fit the tower for the horn contact through the hole in the steering wheel. I can't remember if GM keys the steering shaft in 4 spots (90º apart) or just 1, but it would be difficult to accidently assemble it that far out. Unless the steering shaft is keyed way out of phase to the steering box due to the year mix and if its a franken-ragjoint to mate early and late components.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Hi does the wheel center right?
If not I'd check the rag joint.
when i replaced mine it threw the cancel cam off like that.
keyway on the rag joint is on the wrong side.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
Wildman65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Theres a "bump" along the legth of the horn ring that is the cancelling cam. Assuming you have a factory steering wheel, if it was off that far you would not be able to fit the tower for the horn contact through the hole in the steering wheel. I can't remember if GM keys the steering shaft in 4 spots (90º apart) or just 1, but it would be difficult to accidently assemble it that far out. Unless the steering shaft is keyed way out of phase to the steering box due to the year mix and if its a franken-ragjoint to mate early and late components.

Alex.
Yeah, I actually have a steering wheel from a Cavalier on it and I've had it all apart a few times studying it and it appears to only go together one way. If I remember correctly, the power steeting box came out of an 84.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
1774btcrew

I ran into this same issue when rebuilding a steering column for a customer last night. I had put a brand new upper turn signal piece in it (these are known for cracking where the turn signal lever screws in) but used the old canceling springs since they weren't broken. I should have checked to see if it all worked before putting it back together. Once together it only cancelled one way. I immediately assumed it was the old springs. I disassembled it and put new springs on and had the same problem. After some inspection, I realized the brand new turn signal piece was defective. When I compared the new and old pieces together the new one didn't have the cancel piece in exactly the right place. I have bought these new lots of times and never had an issue.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote