The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #1
barmanvarn

Brake hose question

About to dive into the (lack of) brakes. As the truck is in another town, I have to turn to you folks for some help since I can't just walk outside and crawl under the truck.

Was on LMC getting ready to order new brake hoses, as I'm sure they ones on the truck need to be replaced.

The front hoses came in a pair and the rear was a quantity of 1. Looking at the illustration, it looks like the rear has a line that runs into a "T" which feeds both rear brakes? Still appears to be 2 rear lines.

Just wondering why LMC sells the front as a pair, but not so for the rear. Am I misunderstanding something?

thanks
barmanvarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: Brake hose question

The rear is hard lines.
Have you checked with your local parts store? I would start there WAY before LMC. I buy everything I can from the local parts store. After 45 years things have been changed on the truck. It's bad enough buying a part, realizing it doesn't fit, and having to drive 20 minutes to the parts store to figure it all out; I can't imagine having to ship something back and wait for a new part.
For the most part LMC is a catalog company. They hire people that can answer phones and enter parts number into the sales software. Depending on which parts store you go to they may not be much better, but you can put your hands on the part before you pay for it. And there are some parts store that have good knowledgeable employees, if you find one of those spend everything you can there so they don't go away.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
barmanvarn

I did try my local parts store first (always do), and they didn't carry the hoses I needed.

That's the only reason I resorted to online. I agree, if the need to return something arises, it's a major pain.

Good info on the rear being hard lines as the catalog was saying there are hoses on the rear.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:43 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

The rear has hard lines to each brake, but there's also a single flex hose connecting the hard line on the frame to the junction fitting on the rear axle housing.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:46 PM   #5
barmanvarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
The rear has hard lines to each brake, but there's also a single flex hose connecting the hard line on the frame to the junction fitting on the rear axle housing.
Ah, ok. That makes sense. Thanks!

Will get them ordered asap.

Hope to get to dive into the brakes this weekend....assuming my radiator is repaired and I can sign off on the engine for the time being.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:48 PM   #6
barmanvarn

That brings up a question...

So, a single line feeds both rear brakes (via a "T" connection)? Does that necessitate some kind of trick when bleeding the rear brakes?
Old 01-27-2015, 01:02 AM   #7
Freddo

I just changed mine out and the rear hose does go to a T that goes to both wheels and the flex hose hooks to a clip With the fitting from the hose that comes from the front. ( hope that makes sense) I had to heat my rear flex hose at the 't' fitting to get it loose, it was on real tight. It didn't change anything as far as bleeding the rear brakes. I ordered my entire brake set as far as shoes,spring sets, wheel cylinders & the flex hoses from rock auto. Seemed pretty reasonable as far as price.
Freddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:08 AM   #8
barmanvarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddo View Post
I just changed mine out and the rear hose does go to a T that goes to both wheels and the flex hose hooks to a clip With the fitting from the hose that comes from the front. ( hope that makes sense) I had to heat my rear flex hose at the 't' fitting to get it loose, it was on real tight. It didn't change anything as far as bleeding the rear brakes. I ordered my entire brake set as far as shoes,spring sets, wheel cylinders & the flex hoses from rock auto. Seemed pretty reasonable as far as price.
Good info, thanks. And, yes, makes total sense.

I'd like to just go and order everything (as it'll likely be needed) but I've spent so much so far just getting the engine running, that I have to cut back a bit. Don't worry, I'm not scrimping on safety. Right now I'm just trying to get it so that I can drive it in and out of the shop on my property. It'll all be done up nice and safe before it gets near a road.

As for the bleeding, I guess I'm just used to newer vehicles with 4 seperate brake lines. I just figured since a single line feeds the back, that standard bleed procedures wouldn't work. I found another post suggesting a gravity bleed.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:23 AM   #9
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Freddo already answered so I'll just echo what he said -- bleed the rears just like you would any other system.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #10
barmanvarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Freddo already answered so I'll just echo what he said -- bleed the rears just like you would any other system.
gotcha. thanks
Old 01-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #11
Lattimer

This is from when I put all new lines on my truck. The nice shiny stainless hardlines connect to a brass Tee fitting, and the hose goes from the Tee up to the frame, where it connects to the hard line running all the way to the front.

When you get the hoses, I recommend getting new clips for them as well. Cheap insurance.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #12
barmanvarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
This is from when I put all new lines on my truck. The nice shiny stainless hardlines connect to a brass Tee fitting, and the hose goes from the Tee up to the frame, where it connects to the hard line running all the way to the front.

When you get the hoses, I recommend getting new clips for them as well. Cheap insurance.

Thanks.

I'll certainly be replacing everything at some point. Right now just replacing the hoses as I'm sure they are in poor state.

Just picked up my radiator from the shop....not good news.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #13
Lance69

I got mine from CPP (Classic Performance Products) steel braided lines when I converted to front disc. Not cheap (100+) but should last forever.
Lance69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #14
89AKurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmanvarn View Post
I did try my local parts store first (always do), and they didn't carry the hoses I needed.

That's the only reason I resorted to online. I agree, if the need to return something arises, it's a major pain.

Good info on the rear being hard lines as the catalog was saying there are hoses on the rear.
After reading this and other related threads, I went to my local NAPA. They have to order hoses, and a differential pumpkin gasket, so I might as well use LMC.
Got some 5/16" hose for trans cooler, that was $4.99 a foot!
Old 02-04-2016, 10:12 PM   #15
irl104

Inlinetube.com is where I got mine. The complete line kits are preformed and the correct length. Just bolt it on. Very happy with their products that they sell.
irl104 is offline   Reply With Quote