The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
LeesTruk

Anyone using an aluminum brake m/c?

I'd like to use a Mopar style brake m/c and am wondering if anyone has taken this approach. There was an early posting by Pyrotechnic on doing this, but there was never any follow-up if it worked or not. Thanks
LeesTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Re: Anyone using an aluminum brake m/c?

I just ordered on for a 85 , aluminum body and plastic Reservoir
Old 03-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeesTruk View Post
I'd like to use a Mopar style brake m/c and am wondering if anyone has taken this approach. There was an early posting by Pyrotechnic on doing this, but there was never any follow-up if it worked or not. Thanks
'85 and beyond came with the aluminum master/plastic reservoir.

Make sure the rear of the master cylinder fits inside your booster; the QTU ("quick take up") master cylinders are larger in diameter than the non-QTU units.

Also make sure you plumb the larger port/portion of the reservoir (regardless of whether its in the front or rear of the master) to the front discs.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 03-15-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:37 PM   #4
Axle

My (Canadian) '83 C10 and '81 GMC both came with the aluminum master.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:42 PM   #5
nonstop

Just curious - why the Mopar one and not an aluminum GM one?
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:21 AM   #6
Pontiac1976

you will have to make your on line or at least change the ends at the master metric 81-87GM fitting the 73-80 are SAE fitting, Unless you change the proportioning valve same YR. brake down then make half and half brake line to the rubber lines.
There two sizes small reservoir. or larger reservoir. the one in the pic above looks like the larger one.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:03 AM   #7
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac1976 View Post
you will have to make your on line or at least change the ends at the master metric 81-87GM fitting the 73-80 are SAE fitting, Unless you change the proportioning valve same YR. brake down then make half and half brake line to the rubber lines.
There two sizes small reservoir. or larger reservoir. the one in the pic above looks like the larger one.
Negative on the metric fitting with this one.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde...&SEName=m39589
Old 03-16-2016, 06:08 AM   #8
LeesTruk

My reason for wanting a Mopar piece is purely aesthetic, and bending/reconstructing brake lines is easy to do, since that was one of the daily repairs done to many a truck at the repair shop I worked at, here in New England (Thank you D.O.T.). Currently I have a cast iron Corvette/Chevelle unit that does its' thing well. I like it better than the boxy unit that came from the factory. But, being that it's cast iron, it loses its' nice cast color and slowly turns to oxide red, and when I open the hood to show off the 5.3L, the first thing you see is the rusting M/C. I don't want to paint the M/C, because when fluid gets under the paint and starts to "lift" it , it's ugly. I'm a little leery about powder coating, afraid that maybe some sand would get into something (sandblasting, part of the pre-coat process). BTW, my truck is an '80, so it isn't equipped with the QTU system

It's not like my truck is a show piece. It ain't. It's just a "driver". I just want it to be neat and clean
Old 03-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
blazer2007

could switch to syn. brake fluid,it,s not supposed to eat paint
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #10
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
could switch to syn. brake fluid,it,s not supposed to eat paint
DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid is a can of worms. More harm than good in anything that's not purely for show or racing.

Be careful. Some clown decided it was a good idea to use the same naming scheme for Silicone as Glycol so there are two DOT5 fluids. DOT5 is Silicone DOT5.1 is the latest generation of Glycol.

If you have Glycol DOT3, DOT4, DOT5.1 keep it. If you want to upgrade your brake fluid to higher wet boiling point go to the next higher Glycol fluid number.
Maintenance is key. Flush the system with fresh new fluid every 2 years and you will have zero issues with Glycol based fluid.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:56 PM   #11
wraprail

This is probably what you are talking about. I have had this setup for 4 years and works great. I have 4 wheel disc, the master is for a dodge shadow shelby iirc because they came with 4 wheel disc. Takes regular 3/16 brake line and 3/8-24 fittings, modified push rod and cost like $24 at autozone. One inch bore size.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #12
LeesTruk

Yeah, that's the one (or similar to it). What's different with my truck, though, is it has power brakes, so I'd need a larger cylinder bore (1 1/8), and the piston would be different. Whereas yours has a deep impression to hold the brake pedal pushrod, a power m/c has just a dimple for the booster pushrod to push against. Making a bullet to fit the deep piston wouldn't be a problem. My concern would be the Mopar mounting footprint and whether or not it would fit within the power booster orifice. BTW, nice plumbing on your set up and I see you have a hydraulic clutch as well
Old 03-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #13
wraprail

Yea I have always liked manual brakes, especially with the stick. This one has the T56 and without the booster you can just line up a wilwood type master with the stock clutch pedal and works out real nice. With this master and the stock brake calipers (rears are stock ford sliding single piston same size as the fronts) it really doesn't take much pedal effort at all to stop. Even towing my car trailer with a 4000 pound car it ain't bad. Seemed kinda weird using a master from a tiny little car but piston size and pedal ratio vs caliper size all worked out in my case.
If you want to stay with the power booster maybe you could just use the mopar booster? Maybe one from a small car would be easy to adapt?
Old 03-26-2016, 10:02 PM   #14
Damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeesTruk View Post
My reason for wanting a Mopar piece is purely aesthetic, and bending/reconstructing brake lines is easy to do, since that was one of the daily repairs done to many a truck at the repair shop I worked at, here in New England (Thank you D.O.T.). Currently I have a cast iron Corvette/Chevelle unit that does its' thing well. I like it better than the boxy unit that came from the factory. But, being that it's cast iron, it loses its' nice cast color and slowly turns to oxide red, and when I open the hood to show off the 5.3L, the first thing you see is the rusting M/C. I don't want to paint the M/C, because when fluid gets under the paint and starts to "lift" it , it's ugly. I'm a little leery about powder coating, afraid that maybe some sand would get into something (sandblasting, part of the pre-coat process). BTW, my truck is an '80, so it isn't equipped with the QTU system

It's not like my truck is a show piece. It ain't. It's just a "driver". I just want it to be neat and clean
Speedway Motors has an aluminum Corvette style master cylinder that might work.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Shop/Speedway/11.html