The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
Pinchecharlie

My new 65 complete with lots of problems!

So as a few of you know I picked up this little project yesterday for a reasonable price. I will need some immediate repairs and some updates and some cosmetic stuff done. For now I'll be getting it safe and operational. So first thing will be front suspension. Now forgive me because iam new to these parts and I've researched some but may ask dumb questions lol.so iam wanting to order parts and need opinions if you would chime in that would be great.
1-opinion on reliable , fair and quality parts manufactures. I don't want to mix and match if I don't have to.
2-I need dropped spindles,springs and parts to rebuild the front end . I have 6 lug drum brakes and they seem fine but I know they are not as good as discs. So opinions on which products would make the swap the simplest and most cost affective.
The budget allows a 800-1200 dollar investment but every dollar saved here can go there if you know what saying.
It gets a bit confusing reading about all the years and compatibility and there are some good posts but I wouldn't mind hearing your opinions on what you might have done differently or new products ect.
3- 6 lug vs 5 lug and my original 16 inch wheels
I'm going for the "shop truck" look and like steelies and caps/beauty rings
I will be kinda dumb and go for a big and little (modest)
Opinions are apreciated. I know it vague and I'll try to find some examples to show for reference same (Or steal)
I'm really stoked and happy to be doing this truck and to be so lucky to have so many experts to help out. Thanks again Charlie
Attached Images

Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: My new 65 complete with lots of problems!

One of the best companies for 63-72 C10's is Early Classic Enterprise (ECE). High quality parts and been in the C10 game for 20+ years.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I'll 2nd ECE parts! Have most of my suspension from them...

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
62 short step

Can't go wrong with Early classic. Great products.

1965 c-10
86 chevy c/k 20
62 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
forestb

The stock steel wheels will not work with disk brakes even if they are 6 lug. But I do think you can find something that has the same look that will fit.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
andyh1956

In Hemmings Motor News there is a company named Kanter that sells complete suspension repair kits. I have used them with good success.
Nice truck!
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #7
Northwest Outlaw

congrats on the truck, looks like it should be a lot of fun.
I'll warn you right off the bat that asking for opinions around will get you a whole lot of information, and not all of it will line up with each other, your budget or your build goals. You can can easily drop all your $1200 budget into the front suspension alone, or you can modestly update all your running gear for the same price.
Know what your end goal is so that every step you make is in the right direction. No need to blow the budget in one area and leave something "more important" crying for attention. Since you have the '65 you should be set for the widest options of parts either new or old.
Name:  Suspesion_Brakes_PartsList.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  111.9 KB
Here is my shopping list for updating the suspension on my '61. I spent a few weeks searching for the cheapest options and this is what i ended up with. While she isn't rady for the autocross and not everything was replaced, I'm happy with what i have. Affordable parts now can be replaced with higher end products later.

Name:  IMG_6637.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  80.3 KB
Top-After, Bottom-Before

Name:  IMG_4197.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  64.6 KB

I found a power booster and master cylinder on craigslist of a '76 c10 for $25, wheels and tires on CL for $250
Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #8
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
The stock steel wheels will not work with disk brakes even if they are 6 lug. But I do think you can find something that has the same look that will fit.
Oh ok shoot. I thought read a 16 inch rim would fit the disk brakes?
Old 04-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #9
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
I am not speaking from experience so you might be right. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #10
Northwest Outlaw

Quote:
Whatever kit you get should give you the wheel specs that you'll need to follow. If it isn't in the information, call the company and ask to double check. I ran into that issue with mine when i didn't see that i need 17" rims to clear the spindle and caliper
Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #11
Pinchecharlie

Thanks northwest Outlaw. Trucks coming along nice! I should have said my budget was for the front end. I could spend thousands I guess but I want to keep it simple I guess.
Speaking of which, i had a buddy offer a 84 front end ? And my father in law has a 72 Van he donated to the cause? I just figured since I was having to fix it no matter what I might as well do it at once.no matter which front end I still have to buy spindles so I better just figure out what's the easiest before I go orderingstuff. I have a 7 inch booster and a corvett mastercylinder left over from another project. You think that booster is to small? I guess I could just poach the van stuff too huh? Man I just love new parts though. I may have a addiction!? Anybody sell refurbished clips? That seems like a money maker? The wheels and tires I am struggling with too. I never have been good at invisioning them and out come. Hmmm?
Old 04-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #12
jayoldschool

Spend the G on maintenance. I'm serious. Brake hoses, lines, wheel cylinders, rad hoses, belts, shocks, etc etc. Get it running and driving nice, then work on the wish list.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #13
rwdmayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
Spend the G on maintenance. I'm serious. Brake hoses, lines, wheel cylinders, rad hoses, belts, shocks, etc etc. Get it running and driving nice, then work on the wish list.
I second this. I made the mistake of going for the wish list first on my monte carlo and wow is it biting me in the butt.
rwdmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #14
Pinchecharlie

I know what your saying! I have a chopped channeled bagged ls turbo nightmare too! Unfurtuantly I don't think I should drive it like this but I could just buy the bare minimum to make it safer? Brakes work good for old drums and it steers ok but has a little slop but the Lca sitting on that stop is kinda suspect don't you think? I could have the front done in a weekend and the wheels are more a show off thing. I suppose I could just put lower side wall tires on these rims and call it good though? They are giant ass old school looking tires and I don't like the look (I am still trying to be cool.at 50 lol!) Engine is actually ok. I was surprised that it had good compression and it's just a old smog head sbc. I have a new built 60's target master I'll drop in in the winter or when this one poops out. So the maintenance thing ain't to bad really. I'll go through from front to back checking everything before I put my kids in but my wife can drive it now badumpchink!! Lucky for me I have a bunch of gen1 stuff so I have that covered and can do that work most times. You have to admit it needs some cool parts pretty bad lol! Thanks guys Charlie
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #15
Pinchecharlie

If you see anything out of the ordinary? Never laid eyes on one. Looks like a repop lower drivers side? Looks like he tried to work on the brakes. Standard stuff right? Why are these photos catywhampas?
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #16
64 Stepside

Quote:
Speaking of which, i had a buddy offer a 84 front end ? And my father in law has a 72 Van he donated to the cause?
The whole front suspension and k-member from the 84 will practically bolt in, with a little bit of drilling and opening up a few holes. I think the van steering column will work but the back-up light switch needs to be relocated. A guy on u-tube just did the k-member swap, look up MrHevyshevy.
64 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:39 AM   #17
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Swapping the entire front suspension for a '73-'87 assembly is fine if you are fine with a stock ride height. But for those wanting to lower the front of their truck, it doesn't make much sense. You can keep the stock control arms (although I prefer the '73-'87's) and change the ball joints and add dropped spindles, and springs. Then pickup rotors, calipers, pads and all the miscellaneous parts at your local auto parts store.

Depending on what year that van is, that booster may be compatible with my booster bracket for a clean and correct bolt on upgrade. I also make the steering box adapter plates for upgrading to power steering.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #18
Pinchecharlie

Thanks for the replies! So really just late model control arms and ball joints, spindles and springs and I don't really need the cross member? I can still use the late model rotors and brakes ,lines and leftover parts to keep it budget oriented. The vans a 71 and the old man has kept it running since new. So I can poach anything and everything I suppose.

Just have to ask you captainfab, why is the bracket nessecary? Seems like in most I've done the booster bolts right to the firewall. Need the room for the pedal throw? I will buy your power steering brackets if they are still available? Thanks again and please correct me if I've gotten anything wrong. Will order dropped spindles for the late model control arms and coils for early control arms and see what's usable from the brakes?

Last question, what's the best coil spring drop height to get as low as I can and still have a little suspension travel? Thanks again Charlie
Old 04-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #19
La Zona Imagery

Quote:

Last question, what's the best coil spring drop height to get as low as I can and still have a little suspension travel? Thanks again Charlie

I think most people go with 3 inch drop springs for the front.

But two companies sell a 4 inch drop spring. I have the Hotchkiss 4 inch for the front. But I haven't installed it yet.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HSS-19390F
Old 04-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #20
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I would consider 2.5" drop spindles and a 2-3" drop spring.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #21
Pinchecharlie

Thanks guys for the replies. Looked at 26 pages of the " static drop trucks" thread today shew there are many cool trucks and lots of info! So my buddy just gave me the 84 for my truck. So I'll use the control arms and brakes , steering and rear end and any other parts that will fit. Bad news is I have to clear out the junk around his shop to get to it. Small price to pay though. He had a client that he built it for that wrecked it and never put it back together. Just have to find out what size rotors but I would think they are the 1 inch but I won't order the spindles unroll I see them. Pretty sure they would be though on a 84 step side regular old truck?.
So 2.5 drop spindles and 3 inch springs it is. Should be fun to hit big bumps huh? After looking I think 17 x8 in front and 17x10 in the back would be pretty good? Iam thinking Smooth steelies so they won't cost to much. Tires iam sure will be spendy but important.
If you have any opinions on wheels and tires, iam all ears. I never have been that good at it. Pictures of your favorites? Will be a few weeks before I can get all the parts ready but ill post an update when iam done or come begging for help ! Thanks again Charlie
Old 04-14-2017, 12:00 AM   #22
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

All of my booster brackets are designed to use the factory mounting holes so that the pedal bracket on the other side of the firewall is securely bolted to the booster and master cylinder assembly just as GM designed it to be. You do not want the booster and master assembly moving away from the pedal, when you are standing on the brakes. There is not any other application of booster that will bolt up correctly to the '63-'66 firewall. Some will say that this is not necessary and many have used other styles of boosters. But I prefer to not cut any corners when it comes to steering or brakes.

Quote:
Just have to ask you captainfab, why is the bracket nessecary? Seems like in most I've done the booster bolts right to the firewall. Need the room for the pedal throw? I will buy your power steering brackets if they are still available? Thanks again and please correct me if I've gotten anything wrong. Will order dropped spindles for the late model control arms and coils for early control arms and see what's usable from the brakes?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #23
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Keep in mind, using a '71 or later rear end, the axle width is 1.5" wider (3/4" per side). This will affect wheel offset, especially with wide wheels.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #24
Pinchecharlie

ah gottcha thanks. well if you are still manufacturing the booster bracket and power steering adapter plates i would like to buy them. i think i saw a link but if i cant find it ill pm you . hope thats ok? thanks again and will update with progress soon i hope.

one last question. my buddy cut out the front and rear end out for me so he could haul off the stuff no one wanted and i was wondereing if anyone had any secrets to removing the spindles with no wieght to hold against the spring? since ive only done it with a jack under the lca. i dunno big strap? i have a history of less than safe work practices and ive used up 8 lifes allready so if you have any tips id be thankfull!
Old 04-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #25
forestb

I think there is an entire thread on removing the spindles with no weight. You can probably find it with a little use of the "advanced search".

Quote:
ah gottcha thanks. well if you are still manufacturing the booster bracket and power steering adapter plates i would like to buy them. i think i saw a link but if i cant find it ill pm you . hope thats ok? thanks again and will update with progress soon i hope.

one last question. my buddy cut out the front and rear end out for me so he could haul off the stuff no one wanted and i was wondereing if anyone had any secrets to removing the spindles with no wieght to hold against the spring? since ive only done it with a jack under the lca. i dunno big strap? i have a history of less than safe work practices and ive used up 8 lifes allready so if you have any tips id be thankfull!