The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
bryou83

1968 Chevy C10 question

Hi,

New member here and kind of got himself in a jam. I currently have a truck, won't mention the brand...but let's just say it's from 66. However it needs brakes, engine work and a few other things. Now here's the part I need help with, also have the option to trade for a 68 C10 short work bed that needs a decent amount of body work, however already has front brakes and what not. My big question is to anyone who has done a Ford vs Chevy restoration, is there more parts available/cheaper options for older Chevy's vs Ford's. Brakes alone seem to be easier for starters on the Chevy. Chevy has the 250 inline 6 3 on the tree if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your help.
bryou83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
jessemthompson

Re: 1968 Chevy C10 question

Go with your preference. There probably isnt much cost difference. This is a C10 forums, so I would think most answers you will get will lean towards chevy. I think the older chevys are a much better looking truck.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
OARNGESI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemthompson View Post
Go with your preference. There probably isnt much cost difference. This is a C10 forums, so I would think most answers you will get will lean towards chevy. I think the older chevys are a much better looking truck.
chevy has more aftermarket support than any other manufacturer so will be cheaper and easier to find parts for
Posted via Mobile Device
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
DroppedC20

Chevy will be cheaper and easier to find parts for. Really just depends what you like more though
Old 05-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
seafoam68

The bigget difference I know of is the parts interchangeably on Chevrolet. Meaning, a part from just about any chevy will fit any other chevy, for many years. With the Ford, it seems everything is year and vehicle specific. Sure, there are restoration places such as LMC that will have what you need for Ford, but if you go with Chevy you can easily find parts anywhere that will fit and they will be cheaper. Good luck.
seafoam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
Zone47

I used to wrench on cars from the 60s during the 70s and Chevy to me was far easier than Mopar and especially Fords to work on.... probably because they used so many common parts between their cars and they were a decent mechanic friendly design.

Go with what you like the best and once you tackle how to work on it, it won't matter but the price and parts availability point has been made and over time it will make a difference. Good luck.
Zone47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #7
truckster

I agree with the other sentiments. The Chevy will be easier and probably less expensive if you're comparing apples to apples. But that shouldn't be the primary deciding factor. Go with the truck you see yourself being happiest driving.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote