The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2004, 09:16 PM   #1
KutThroatKustoms
drag body or die

Carb Question

Alright.. well with the crappy gas mileage we get and the crappy gas prices.

My dads truck has a 350/th350/3.08 gears, drove it ~40 miles today and used almost half a tank, driving it easy. Its old, carb is worn out, etc.

What do you guys recommend for good fuel economy and nothing that will be sluggish.

Edelbrock?

what is everyones opinions on the Road Demon JR 625?

thanks.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:49 AM   #2
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I love my Edelbrock 1406 600cfm. It's easy to tune and easy on gas. I get 14 MPG on the highway.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:01 AM   #3
aquasharkey

40 miles on a 1/2 tank! that's terrible! I was having similar problems on my Olds Cutlass with an Olds 350 with a 4bbl quadrajet (I know it's no chevy truck) but the mechanics are the same. check the timing first off. here's what you do. a timing light with an advance dial is the best to have. set it at base timing, remembering to take the vacuum line off the dist. and plug it (probably 8-10 degrees in your case) get someone to plug in the vacuum line back into the distributor while you're shining the light on the timing marks. the mark should jump out of sight, and the engine should speed up a bit. if it doesn't, check that the vacuum hose has vacuum at it and the vacuum advance diaphram is working. if it is, great. also very important, make sure the centrifigal advance is working. there's two ways of checking it. one is to take the distributor cap off and grab the rotor. it should move one way, and then quickly spring back when you let go. the other way is with the timing light again. It's easier if you unhook the vacuum advance(the vacuum hose to the distributor) you can see the marks better. watch your eyes and arms/ etc and get someone to rev it up. the timing line on the harmonic balancer should move around considerably with engine speed. if it doesn't work, you need to take the distributor apart and clean it.
also check the basics (plugs, air filter, tire pressure, etc.) then, if you're still having problems with fuel economy tackle the carb. check for a sunk float, stuck power valve, and leaking well plugs
My exeperiences show if you want fuel economy, stick with quadrajet (I consistantly get between 16-17 with my '75 chev with a newer 305, TH-350 trans w/o lock-up and 3.42:1 rear end)
I hope I helped a bit
aquasharkey is offline   Reply With Quote