The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2004, 12:24 AM   #1
Russell
Professional Grade

Arrgh, I hate it when times like this come...

Check this out:

73, 32 000 original miles on the 350, dual exhaust, th400, 14 bolt rear, working dual tanks, mint body, comes with the camper, I swear there was not a single blemish on this truck. Wood grain interior, bucket seats, again, not a blemish in there, comes with a DIN style stereo installed. Clearance lights, bumperettes, this truck is everything that I dreamed of, minus being a few inches taller than I want.

They are asking 9000 cnd...

I'm so tempted to sell my 80, sell the little car I just bought, and dedicate this summer to paying the loan I'd get from may father off...

Man, I don't wanna buy a prebought setup, but I just can't afford to be constantly fixing stuff that goes wrong with my 80...

My thoughts were to buy this truck with money borrowed from my father, get the springs re arched (they are more like 'w's than 'u's) move the bumper brackets back over, install the 700r4 I have, and put the front end from my truck onto this one (I just love my front clip) and eventually get it painted two tone blue put power windows in, some rims and a small drop...

What do you guys think? Is 9 grand too much? I was thinking about offering 7500 for it, see if he takes it...

Just much better than my 80, which will probally never get finished because of how many little things go wrong with it all the time that slowly suck my funds dry...

Just compare the two...
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2004, 01:23 AM   #2
BodyShopDropOut12
9 months

Definitely start out low on offer. Offer only 6 at first. Talked my truck down from 1,600 to 800 by startin at 300. But yeah, its real nice. Hows it run, and any other pics of engine? If only i had the money I'd help you by buying your '80, perfect match for mine.
BodyShopDropOut12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 01:38 AM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

I'm asking 1000 for my truck as it stands on my driveway right now, my truck has a brand new motor and transmission in it, under 25 000 miles on the motor, and even less on the tranny. Brand new carb on it. Idles at around 550 rpm, and gets around 16 mpg on the highway right now. The drivetrain is all my truck has got going for it, the body is shot, though repairable if you have some money to put into it.

Its just that my truck is gonna cost me a LOT of money to get it to where this other truck is at, and I want to take it even further from there, so its almost worth me spending a couple thousand now and just getting a real nice truck rather than spending years trying to find deals to upgrade my 80...

That new truck is owned by the original owner, he only drives it when he goes camping in the summer. Runs like a brand new truck, and gets 13 - 14 mpg with the camper on... (camper has never been taken off)

Last edited by Russell; 06-11-2004 at 01:43 AM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 02:47 AM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

Here are a couple of big (trust me, they are BIG, probally three to four screenwidths worth...) pictures of the machine...

http://www.zieglerdigital.ca/public/.../truck-001.jpg
http://www.zieglerdigital.ca/public/.../truck-002.jpg
http://www.zieglerdigital.ca/public/.../truck-003.jpg
http://www.zieglerdigital.ca/public/.../truck-004.jpg
http://www.zieglerdigital.ca/public/.../truck-005.jpg
http://www.zieglerdigital.ca/public/.../truck-006.jpg
http://www.zieglerdigital.ca/public/.../truck-007.jpg

I guess I'll offer him 6 grand for the truck and the camper, or 4000 for just the truck... I can sell the camper (looks like no one ever used the camper once, just gorgeous inside, has AC and all sorts of other goodies in it too) for 2500 - 3000 bucks or so, and if I put a box on my current truck and put it up for 2000, hopefully all I'll have to earn for the truck is 3 - 4 grand or so (which I think I can probally do over the summer and winter)
Old 06-11-2004, 03:12 AM   #5
BodyShopDropOut12
9 months

Heh, with those pics, you feel like you're actually standing right next to it.

Yeah, its real clean. You could definitely do a lot with that. Damn, now i know what everyone else feels like complaining about no money and too far. Wish i could sell my last bike.
BodyShopDropOut12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:31 AM   #6
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Whats with the trailer ball on the front bumper? Not to take anything away from it but the truck is coverd in rain. It can make it look better than it is paint wise.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:45 AM   #7
bigblock73
yeller

Ocbaud in the house!!!!

Russ, it sure looks good! I would definately pursue getting it, you don't find clean trucks like that too often. But if you get it, I would get a beater for the winter months so this one stays in nice of shape!
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:37 AM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I agree with Jeff on all points there. That is certainly a nice truck. Even better would be if they still have the original seat. I would be a little hesitant to want to change the color, since these trucks are almost impossible to find in original, clean condition.

On the other hand, they say it takes a real man to cut one up.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:16 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73
I would definately pursue getting it, you don't find clean trucks like that too often......I would get a beater for the winter months so this one stays in nice of shape!
Good point Jeff. Since your winters are so rough on sheetmetal, I would consider keeping your 80 as a driver since it has a good motor.

Buy the new truck and sell the camper to recover some of your costs. You will be so much further along making payments on a nice truck than you will trying to rebuild/repair a truck you are driving...
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:21 AM   #10
bigblock73
yeller

When I purchased Yeller back in the spring '95...it was my only vehicle at the time. I decided to buy myself a winter car so I could store my truck...had I not done so, I guarantee you my truck would have rust everywhere! These trucks do not drain snow or water well at all...it sits there and destroys the metal.

Bottom line Russell, if you buy it and drive it in the snow...I will fly up to Canada, repo the truck, and run you over with it.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:55 AM   #11
Russell
Professional Grade

It wasn't the rust that concerned me so much as someone hitting me / me hitting something during the winter...

I don't think I'll make too much off the GMC anyways, so I guess I'll keep it as my beater / daily driver for hauling stuff and such, and take this truck to shows and stuff, I really don't wanna sell the old beasty anyways, just can't restore it while daily driving it, becuase yeah, I use it too much, I just can't dissassemble anything to work on it...
Old 06-11-2004, 10:18 AM   #12
Grim Reaper

While it's realy nice and all I wouldn't pay over $3k US for it. Truck is not collectable enough to warrant that sort of price.

Fact of the matter is that little of miles your going to have issues. Old age and low miles are often just as bad as high miles. The seals are pushing 30 years old. It may have rust in the cylinder from sitting so the rings will be fubar. It is subject to the same problem Motor homes have. They get run hard with the weight and put up wet. Poping a otherwise taken care of engine on a older motor home at 80k is common for just that reason. I'd buy the other truck with the newer motor before I bought that one.

I played hell with my 88 Burb that had 72k on it when I bought it. Owner took incredible care of it but I still ended up dumping $1k in including replacing the radiator, alternator, starter and a bunch nickle and dime stuff. I still feel I got a good deal at $5k US but It still took a year to get it up to snuff.

Sorry...I just don't see it worth that much.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 03:44 PM   #13
Russell
Professional Grade

Yeah, Its a gorgeous truck, but if I am gonna spend 9 grand (he is firm on his price, pretty much laughed at me when I offered 4500 for just the truck ) I figure I had midas well put the 9 grand into my GMC, and make it nice, 9 grand will probally nearly finish my GMC...
Old 06-11-2004, 08:54 PM   #14
Russell
Professional Grade

Well, I just found a local vendor, and discovered that all it is gonna cost me to repair all of my rot minus the bed floor from my rear bumper to the front of my cab is gonna be around 245 bucks, and the best part is this -- Thats in cnd funds, and the vendor is local, so no shipping fees to deal with, no border fees, no nothing minus our GST

I'm gonna fix the GMC rather than spend 9 grand to buy a truck

Just need to go get a gas bottle for my MiG welder, and go buy the patch panels, and I am well on my way

Also need to find out how exactly I am gonna put my box back on with the floor totally rotted out like it is... I guess I have a burban tank to install, then a whole rear end to wire wheel and paint before I can put the box back on anyways...
Old 06-13-2004, 01:24 PM   #15
SanitysBane

how well does a burban tank fit in the back? im looking at doing the same for my 83, what all fabrication does it take?
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 05:43 PM   #16
Russell
Professional Grade

Not sure yet, but I'll be able to let you know fairly soon

I'll do a pictoral tutorial while I am at it, as I have never seen one around before...
Old 06-13-2004, 06:17 PM   #17
plumbcut
california fill

i know that youll never fit a spare tire back there if you put the large suburban fuel tank between the frame rails... anyways its a nice truck but $9K is a joke

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 06:24 PM   #18
Russell
Professional Grade

I don't have any spare tire mounting equipment anyways, so that isn't too much of a concern to me, lol

My biggest worry at this point is if my 14 bolt will hit the tank when the truck hits a bump...