The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2004, 12:33 AM   #1
77K20

Cab swap question

Ok, I did a search but didn't come up with what I needed. I have a 77 4wd 3/4T with a 4-speed that I want to start makin pretty. I also have a 77 2wd 3/4T with a 4-speed that is my parts truck. I need to know if the 2wd cab will fit on the 4wd. These two truck are almost identical, except one is 4wd and the other is 2wd. The cab on the 4wd has seen better days, and the 2wd cab is in alot better condition, so if I can I want to swap them. Is this possible or will I run into issues with the t-case and all that on the 4wd? Thanks for any info.

-Brandon
77K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 02:31 PM   #2
plumbcut
california fill

if you remove the carpet in both of them you can see that they have different inspection covers over the transmission. The 2WD may or may not be removeable. that should be your only issue. If they both unbolt, keep the 4WD one obviously since the holes are in the right place for your trans/t-case shifters. This has been a real grey area over the years with these trucks and its hard to get a real real firm reliable answer (especially one that covers all years & setups) but Im going to go with 95% on your setup. If the 2WD one is not removeable you will have to get out the sawzall or grinder or plasma cutter and do some custom work but it shouldnt be too hard. Well worth it if the 2WD cab is in good shape.

The only other major difference that comes to mind is the AC vs. NON-AC firewalls.. They are not the same. Good luck and post some pics!!

plumbcut
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 08:17 PM   #3
77K20

Sorry, don't have any pics as of yet. What problems might I face with A/c? The 2wd has A/C while the 4wd does not. Will this be a problem? I really don't care too much about A/C so I don't care if I won't be able to use it asfter the swap, but are there other issues I should know about before starting? Thanks for your info.

-Brandon
77K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 08:17 PM   #4
rolson1039

if i remember correct you can use them youll have to cut the 2wd floor so you can bolt in the 4x4 piece
Old 06-14-2004, 08:46 AM   #5
beaterC10

The A/C and non A/C cabs have different size holes in the firewall for the heater core box. To change from one to the other will require some surgery on the firewall.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote