The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2004, 03:11 PM   #1
Orange '71 GMC

Question for anyone with power accessories in their doors.

Where did you run your wiring?
I want it to be as clean as possible, and I don't want a lot of wiring showing. BTW, I am installing power locks/keyless entry/alarm, but it shouldn't matter much what it is. I just need ideas/pictures/advice on where you guys have put your wiring at.

I am assuming I will have to come in real high with it, to get it hidden from plain sight, but I don't want it intefering with the door shutting, or getting crushed.

I am going to have to play it careful, because all of my wiring is down low - but I will be able to exit the door wherever I want to pretty much. (And I will of course be using a rubber grommet). Which, poses a good question - if anyone can point me in the direction for a couple of grommets with the hole in the center like that, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks In Advance.
DLB
Old 08-11-2004, 04:00 PM   #2
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Why not use a contact switch? No wires into the hindge at all.

They used them on the doors in my Jeep for the speakers.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:05 PM   #3
Orange '71 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel
Why not use a contact switch? No wires into the hindge at all.

They used them on the doors in my Jeep for the speakers.
Is there a contact switch that will work with 5 wire connections? (That's how many wires my power locks have coming from them).
Orange '71 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:20 PM   #4
thisolechevy

Yes there is a 5-wire contact switch, I don't remember where??? but there is up to a 6-wire I know that much. I use a 4-wire contact for my speakers. Works great!
Old 08-11-2004, 04:34 PM   #5
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

I forgot the company's name thisolechevy is talking about but Summit carries them, they are really clean, but of course it does not make contact with the doors open. So if you like to play the stereo with the doors open, while fishing, or picnicing, etc. you can't do it. if you take a walk through the junkyard, you'll see many different ideas on rubber, and metal looms that are in many vehicles. you'll just have to drill some holes in the door jambs, ( remove that door ) and in the kick-panel area for access to the body jamb.
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 08:17 PM   #6
Faster_than_you

jegs, and I think painless stocks them. I will be ordering up the same, in a couple of months.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:17 AM   #7
StingRay

I have run wiring in my cab by running under the dash and then drilling the upper part of the kick panel next to the dash through to the inside of the pillar and then 90 degrees from that through the pillar to the door. I used a grommet on the interior and used a rubber wire flex duct from an 80's Ford between the pillar and the door. I have had it like that for 10 years with no troubles and it looks factory. You have to remove the doors to do it.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:22 AM   #8
Orange '71 GMC

Thanks for your replies all!
I am thinking about perhaps just running the wiring through.
For two reasons...I found some of the jam switches at Jegs, and since the 4 wire are almost $30 a piece, I am sure that the 5-wire won't be any cheaper. Honestly, it isn't worth $60+ more to me, I can come up with something. And, the wiring has a cover over it, it is a very thick black plastic loom, and is made for weather resistance, etc., and actually doesn't look bad, so I MAY go that route.

I'll just have to continue on with a little more research, but you guys have definitely been a big help.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:03 AM   #9
tim m

I am using RB Obsolete's wire looms. They are steel spring, and the are fixed on one side and slide in a rubber grommet on the other. It is the nicest setup I have seen. I think I paid 28 for the pair. You can buy them in 1/2 or 7/8 I think.
tim m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:38 PM   #10
gabet40

i just drilled a 1/2" hole, ran all the wires through, then wrapped em with a loom and some electrical tape. i have wires going through for power windows, door poppers, and a speaker for a total of 6 wires
Attached Images

Former owner of:
69 1/2 ton, change from long/fleet to short/fleet, shaved door handles, shaved tailgate, 4/6 drop, power windows, 700r4
72 blazer, 350 with Holley Commander 950 DFI, crane energizer cam, 350 tranny, dual sanderson blockhuggers/magnaflow exhaust
gabet40 is offline   Reply With Quote