The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
smokinn

Engine removal ?

Well ive been working on getting the engine out but had to stop due to rain. I have everything disconnected and all thats left is unbolting the tranny. This is where im confused. Do I remove the trany support bracket? or leave it? for the life of me i cant seem to locate the bolts that mount the tranny to the engine. I went to the book store and looked at Haynes and chilton repair manuals. They were no help just list the things in order 1,2,3,4 ect.... nowhere does it say anything that im looking for. Can anyone help? or know a website that has nice pictures and description of this process?

Thanks
Jason
smokinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 03:19 PM   #2
rolson1039

the bolts that mount the motor to the trans mission need to be removed using a long extension and a 9/16 socket. there are six or eight of them therye around the bellhousing of the transmission and they bolt through the transmission into the motor. once ya loosent hem drop the tranny inspection pan and get the four torque converter to flywheel bolts. You shouldnt have to remove anything else with the tranny but make sure ya got any kickdown or cables off on the linkage. its very easy. if you have a clutch kind of truck i have no idea ive never pulled a motor out od them although i do know the bell housing for a clutch does bolt up the same way to the motor, id prolly drop the trans and remove the motro bell housing as one unit
Old 09-05-2004, 04:35 PM   #3
smokinn

I did remove 6 bolts that I thought were correct. Ended up being a plate and now I can see the torke converter. Do I still need to remove the tranny mounting bracket? Hopefully I will be able to see the bolts for the bell housing holding it to the engine block. I dont want to remove the tranny compleatly. So if i use a jack and lower the tranny should this give me the room i need to access the engine bolts to disconnect them form the bell housing? So I can get this dang thing out.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:11 PM   #4
81shavedtrk

what motor/trans. If the 3 bolts are out of the verter and the 6 are out of the bellhousing then leave the trans in support it with a jack at the front of the bell housing and pull the motor.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:05 PM   #5
smokinn

Its a 350 with a 350 turbo trans. Ok silly question whats a verter?
Old 09-05-2004, 10:06 PM   #6
us111

pic's that may help

i dont know if this post will work or not,,if not look back on this message board for my post titiled "couple questions" (about page 3 right now)..pic's of 1976 with cab off where u can see tranny pretty good...hope it helps...

us111

here's pic
here is some pics.
Attached Images

us111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 10:17 PM   #7
Tinman

I'm trying to get my 305 out also. Are you going to get rid of all that vaccum stuff?

Last edited by Tinman; 09-05-2004 at 11:06 PM.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 10:36 PM   #8
smokinn

Thanks for the help. i lookedat your photos and now i can see where i have to get to. The plate i took off is on the bottom of the bell housing. So by the looks of your pics the bolts im after are right above it. Now all i have to do is get to them.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:48 AM   #9
us111

pics

glad they helped,,the 2 on the very top of bellhousing can be a real pain sometimes,,,just gotta fight with them..good luck
us111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:52 AM   #10
SanitysBane

something that you can do is remove the transmissoin cross memeber, and unbolt the exhaust and let the engine down but be constanlty checking to make shure that the fan is going threw the radiator or the distributor is hitting the firewall, i lowered my big block that way and i coudl actually see all of the bolts, it helped out a ton. just remember that when you remove the crossmemeber and exhaust nothing else is holding up the engine, and if you think that the stock exhaust mounts are POS then you are way wrong, they helded up my big block and transmission, just 1 of them, for aobut a week before i had time to drop the transmission.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote