The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2004, 11:41 AM   #1
bagged_gmc
Shaved

argh, this truck makes me want to rip my hair out!!!

Ok, we purchase this truck from my dads friend, and he says he rarely drives it, and when he does, it drives good. Well, we buy it and dont have and problems for about 2 weeks until all of a sudden, I pull into a parking lot before school and bam it doesn't start. Well I get a ride to school and get home(after towing the truck)and find out our starter is bad. Well, it gets replaced and I bust a brakeline and the brake booster goes bad, replace them, go to start it and guess what, it turns over but no fire. After 2 distributor modules and a coil it fires, and finally today at the donut shop, I go in and come back out to start it up and it doesn't turn over. A guy tells me my battery might be dead and we try to jump it and the battery starts smoking like a gun, along with the starter, he rips the + wire off and says whoo-eee that was close and bam, now it's sitting up there, I need a battery clamp, maybe a battery, and maybe a new starter to replace my 2 week old one...poo
bagged_gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:46 AM   #2
Slams_58
Account Suspended

Welcome to the board from Canada...and to the wonderful world of working on 35 yr old vehicles!
Slams_58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
bagged_gmc
Shaved

thanks, and it sure is wonderful, I'm kinda wishing I had my 65 Nova back...oh well
Old 12-03-2004, 11:55 AM   #4
ChevyDude

You just need to realize that after 35 years stuff happens. When it happens it sucks...without a doubt. Get it replaced and you will be set until the next go round. My 72' K-10 was purchased with a brand new $4000.00 383 engine in it. Boy does it run like a champ! But I have had to replace the heater core, replace some fuses here and there, replace the blower relay switch, replace both lights with "Ricks" modern H4 white/blue Halogens, replace the power steering box, replace the dash...my wiper motor is moving aweful slow and I think it's next to go....you get my drift??? It's all part of the game and really is PAR for the course when driving a 30+ year old truck. Do I want a modern 2000 model....can you say "Hell No"...I love these old trucks and so will you. Get her fixed up and tell her you love her, lol. Good luck.

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4

Last edited by ChevyDude; 12-03-2004 at 11:59 AM.
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:57 AM   #5
whitesswj
Embrace the Redneck

understand that that is the truth behind buying a new "old" truck - there will be problems. I think that's half the fun of having one. But my dad always taught me that if the truck leaves you stranded more than once, it's time to get one that doesn't.
I know that the guy you bought your truck from said that it ran great, but i think since he didn't run it often the problems never arose with him. once you get all of the kinks run out then it will be a great truck. just remember if it doesn't start it can only be 3 things - fire, gas, or battery.

welcome from Arkansas

Sswj

Son, you just can't get there from here...
whitesswj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:59 AM   #6
TugOwar

Welcome from Texas. Update your profile so we know where you are at, someone here may be close enough that can lend a hand.

Sounds like your truck may have been neglected for awhile before you got it. These ole girls require alot of TLC some times, especially after they have been sitting for a while.

Hang in there, get the bugs worked out and you'll have a dependable ride. And remember, you'll never have a computer module go bad, you don't have 101 sensors to worry about and there is no (or very little) emissions crap under the hood. These trucks are pretty straight forward and simple. With a handful of wrenchs you can just about anything that needs done yourself, which means no expensive service bills.

Gratz on the purchase, hang in there and good luck.

Oh yeah, be sure to give her a name, she'll love ya for it!
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:02 PM   #7
TugOwar

I type too slow, there were no replies when I started. lol
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
Solver

Parts are relatively inexpensive, and easily found. I have driven my work truck for about 3-4 years and there is always something that needs fixed. As you fix each item try and fix or replace one more item that is on it's way out. That way you can hopefully stay one step ahead of the game. Eventually you will have repaired-replaced all the main wear items and can relax some. Keep in mind that by being able to replace yourself as opposed to the newer trucks with all the extras that only a technician could replace you really are way ahead in the game !!!!
  • 1972 Cheyenne Super 10 LWB-green
  • 1972 GMC 4x4 LWB-White
  • 1971 Cheyenne 10 LWB-Ochre
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Copper
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Black
  • 1969 Custom 10 LWB-lt blue
  • 1968 GMC 3/4 ton-green
  • 1968 1/2 ton swb stepside-silver
  • 1967 Chevrolet CST 10 LWB-green
  • 1967 Chevrolet custom 20 LWB-Maroon
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:10 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Welcome to THE board.
Little things will pop up from time to time. once you get the smokey starter bettery figured out, you need to go over the truck real carefully...maybe with a buddy who may know a little more than you, (no idea what your mech abilities are) and correct the wrongs. Hopefully, the last owner wasn't a dope smokin old man like the PO of one of my old trucks, you'll be cursing him for years to come if so.

Anyhoo...welcome to the best place for info/ideas/parts/advice. I see you already started with the better looking of the GM twins.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:39 PM   #10
raggedjim

I kinda like that I can pretty much disassemble my truck with a 1/2" & 9/16" wrench... Don't need as many tools that way!

I'd get a one wire internal regulated alternator, my old external regulator gave me fits until I got rid of it...

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:50 PM   #11
2low72

It's a new owner syndrome.. The truck is going through withdraws.. Stick with it. The truck will see that you are his true love in due time!! :p
Old 12-03-2004, 02:00 PM   #12
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Welcome from Northen California! Been a bunch of trucks on the board with electrical gremlins lately. Run a search on shorts and there is plenty of trouble-shooting advice. As posted earlier an internally regulated alternator and an HEI set up will probably help a bunch. That info is on the board as well. Go through the whole trucks electrics one good time and you will be a world ahead. Good luck!
Rich
Old 12-03-2004, 02:01 PM   #13
lpaine

Hey, don't go ripping out your hair just yet,(you may need it when you get older) anyway if it's of any consolation the small amount of money you might have to spend to get your truck running reliably is small compared to making hefty monthly payments on a new truck. Plus you'll have the satisfaction of having done it yourself. With the information you've got this morning you're well on your way anyway. Oh, and where electrical gremlins are concerned, make sure you have LOTS of good grounds (engine to frame, body to frame, etc.) you almost can't have too many. And check your battery cables and connections, they can cause you nothing but grief, cables need to be undamaged and have tight clean connections. Just my.02. Keep on truckin'
lpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:10 PM   #14
GreyHoundSteve

I feel your pain man. When i bought my 67 a few months ago the PO told me it was recently restored and had new "everything" and even had reciepts for over $6k. It didnt even make it home before giving me problems. I have since rebuilt the carb, replaced the rusted gas tank, replaced the rearend, rebuilt all four brakes, replaced the dizzy, coil, plugs and wires and rebuilt the trany. For a truck that was just "restored" it sure needed a hell of alot of work. Oh, did i mention i rewired the entire truck too? All of this work was performed within 2 weeks of buying what i thought was a solid reliable truck.

Before i'm done with it i'm sure i will have replaced EVERY SINGLE PART on the truck ..... some probably twice. Luckily these trucks are a cinch to work on and you have all the emissions freedom in the world so have fun with it and hopefully it will work out for ya.

oh, yeah ...... is your truck bagged? If so post some pics of it.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:23 PM   #15
67chevemall

Rip the whole thing apart and fix everything!
Re wire it and get a mini high torque starter.
Spend the $ on a good battery as it is the start heart of the truck!
mind as well paint it too!LOL
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:31 PM   #16
GreyHoundSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevemall
Rip the whole thing apart and fix everything!
Re wire it and get a mini high torque starter.
Spend the $ on a good battery as it is the start heart of the truck!
mind as well paint it too!LOL
You and I share similar thoughts on this.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:36 PM   #17
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyDude
I love these old trucks and so will you. Get her fixed up and tell her you love her, lol. Good luck.
and if that don't work threaten it But never resort to violence with the metal mistress,it always costs more money in the end

I've had mine a couple of months,and put the engine in myself.After replacing radiator,motor mounts,exhaust,starter and clutch to get it on the road.In the past 6 weeks I have replaced speedo cable,headlight switch,steering column,heater core,wheels and tires,heater controls,complete interior (still needs a dash pad),fixed taillights that didn't work,and today prolly the master cylinder that is leaking.And it still could use some brake pads,and shoes.

I'm hoping to start doing the body work soon,but reliability first.

You're not alone
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:42 PM   #18
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi! Make sure when you installed the new starter that the pos cable from the battery to the starter did not get on the exhaust, basically a huge ground on the battery (would explain the smoke).

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:59 PM   #19
raggedjim

Krue's got a point. I put a F@rd solenoid on my wheelwell so the cable to the starter would only be hot while starting, for some reason it also helped with the hot starting problem I had been having.

I tend to tolerate little problems well because I don't use my truck as a daily driver. If I did I would have to get serious about fixing it and keeping it fixed!

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:07 PM   #20
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged_gmc
he rarely drives it
That's 90% of the problem.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:14 PM   #21
bagged_gmc
Shaved

Well I came home from school today (hopped in my friends 70 C-10) and called my dad up and he said that he stopped by the donut shop on his lunch break and said he thought the hot wire from the battery to the starter rubbed up against the headers and burnt the insolation off.

Last edited by bagged_gmc; 12-04-2004 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:15 PM   #22
bagged_gmc
Shaved

Oh, by the way, thank you to everyone who gave me a warm welcome, I'll try to get on updating my profile tonight
Old 12-04-2004, 08:19 PM   #23
bagged_gmc
Shaved

Woot woot! Got 'er runnin
Old 12-04-2004, 08:55 PM   #24
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Got any Pics? We always like to see members trucks.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:13 PM   #25
bagged_gmc
Shaved

Well the only pics I have are at school (no digi cam), but as soon as I get back to my computer class on Monday, I'll try to get a few up.