The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Need rad hose help - any ideas??

Okay guys, I've seen these floating around in the past few months, and have tried to copy down the information I saw, onto paper - knowing that I would have to deal with it sooner or later. I am looking to replace the lower radiator hose on my truck, but as posted before, this is starting to be a headache! My truck is a 1971 GMC ½ ton with the 5.7L 350. I've copied down a number from an earlier post, checked it out on the napa auto parts website, and sure enough, the same part/part number came up.
(part#PBH4207463) or:

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/nc...grpid=80213817

Anyway, so I go and get this part, as the angles of the hose seem to be correct, and as mentioned in an earlier post, with some cutting, it should fit. Well in my application it will not! The frame is getting in the way. What I did was then take the hose off the truck, brought it to the parts store, and they said they have no idea what the hose could be off of?? (their computer and books say the same part mentioned above) As far as I can measure, it looks to be 1 5/8" inside diameter, but it just may be stretched out as the hose is very old!!

My question is, do you recognize this hose??: (it's the one off my truck)
Attached Images

Last edited by JoetheMobster; 02-08-2005 at 06:36 PM.
JoetheMobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
john
member #16

Did you see this post. Hose for long pump?

http://207.44.196.117/vboard/showthr...+radiator+hose

On my truck it was very close to the frame but it cleared. If you have short pump I have no idea. Good luck John
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:38 PM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

It looks like your radiator has the straight outlet on it instead of the one that angles up. The 67-72 radiators have the lower outlets angled up.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #4
modifiedGMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKshortstep4x4
It looks like your radiator has the straight outlet on it instead of the one that angles up. The 67-72 radiators have the lower outlets angled up.

Jim
That's what my 69 GMC has is the angled bottom radiator outlet. That could be your problem.
modifiedGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:17 AM   #5
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Here's the thread about what I did on my 69.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...highlight=hose
Hose is Dayco 70664.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:32 AM   #6
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred T
Here's the thread about what I did on my 69.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...highlight=hose
Hose is Dayco 70664.
A HA!! That's the post I was referring to when I bought my first hose! I went and bought the hose again, and chopped some length off the hose to see if it fit. You guys are correct, my rad does have a straight outlet. That would make sense that the hose would be a correct unit. In the end, I MADE the bugger fit!! (Nope - no kinks in it either!) I did have to use a small portion of the old hose in the process, but at least it was the small portion on the old hose that was still in decent shape. I will have to see if it holds coolant in the morning. It's Frankenhose!

Thanks for the help guys
Old 02-09-2005, 01:36 AM   #7
purple gas

does your lower rad connection come straight out, or is it on an upward angle. If it's straight out ( like mine is) with a long style water pump you have to use a differnt year hose than the computer will say. ( I made about 20 trips to 3 differnt part stores myself. I feel your pain) If you're lookin for a setup like I have, I got the part#, but it's late & in the garage, & there's lots of snow & i'm in bare feet. I'll get back to ya. good luck.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:26 PM   #8
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetheMobster
A HA!! That's the post I was referring to when I bought my first hose! I went and bought the hose again, and chopped some length off the hose to see if it fit. You guys are correct, my rad does have a straight outlet. That would make sense that the hose would be a correct unit. In the end, I MADE the bugger fit!! (Nope - no kinks in it either!) I did have to use a small portion of the old hose in the process, but at least it was the small portion on the old hose that was still in decent shape. I will have to see if it holds coolant in the morning. It's Frankenhose!

Thanks for the help guys
My radiator outlet turns up and I have the long pump. Looked like it would work with either outlet.

I made so many trips to the parts store on that one the owner wanted me to supply him with anti-depressants. And that was the second time I bought that hose. Couldn't figure it out on the first trip.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote