The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
bbchevy
87 Wanna Be K30

column shift lever

how come there is no return spring pressure for my shift lever? it feels limp. and how do i fex it.
-scott
bbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
morglan

I have the same trouble. I started tearing apart the steering column on my parts truck (which does have the spring pressure) to figure it out.

I found out 2 things--

1. there is a compression spring located under the inside end of the shifting lever,

and

2. I'm not good enough to put the column back together!

(And I couldn't get it apart enough to remove the spring!)

Is it possible to

a) buy a replacement spring, and/or

b) drive out the pin that holds the shifting lever in place, and replace the spring that way (to avoid having to tear apart the column)?

bbchevy--if the answer to my question "b" above is yes, I'll try to take some digital pics when I make the repair, so I can email them to you for assistance.

Eric
morglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 09:31 PM   #3
morglan

I've found out that if you punch out the pin that holds the lever in place, and remove the shifting lever, you can look in the hole and see the compression spring. If yours is broken, you can use some needle nose pliers and pull it out. You can then measure it and estimate the length of the replacement spring (if yours is indeed broken). I also found out that there are 2 different sized springs--probably depending on whether your column is tilt or not. (If yours is NOT a tilt column, let me know--I have a good spring I can send you that I pulled from my parts truck when I was trying to figure this out.) If it IS a tilt column (like my 82), the overall diameter of the spring is 5/16" and the best guess for the length is about 1 inch. Hope this helps.
morglan is offline   Reply With Quote