The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2005, 10:22 AM   #1
DirtyBurb86
Narcissistic Prick

Combining susp. and body lifts?

I currently have a nice 4" susp. lift on my burb, but like cigarettes, meth, and tattoos, inches seem to be pretty addictive. Long story short - I'd like a few more inches of lift. I've seen some pretty reasonably priced 3" body lifts, but all of the manufacturers have disclaimers warning against combining body lifts with existing susp. lifts. However, at the same time, I see tons of guys cruising around with both. What's the deal??? Any input would be appreciated.

-Shawn
DirtyBurb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
konajoe

3" is allot of body lift... All depends on what you plan on doing with the truck. Taller is not always better? Do you wheel the truck or is this more for looks? Do you have tire clearance issues?

I'm running 4" suspension with the 1" ORD body lift & 38”s on my 79 without any major issues.

Joe
85 K30 CrewCab
72 Camaro
konajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:14 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

There is no reason you can't combine them. You just have to drive with the understanding of the increase in Center Of Gravity.

Actually the body lift does not raise the COG as much as a suspension lift, since the engine, trans/transfercase and frame are not lifted with it. Three inches is what most prepared kits are made for......and that is fine for street use and some light trail-riding type of off-roading. Any kind of serious 'wheeling would be too much for it. Nothing more than 3" though. It gets dangerous above that because of the increased leverage. I have seen "home-made" bodylifts as high as 6"........Dangerous! The body will wobble/move on the rubber mounts. This causes serious problems with steering linkage, transfer case shifter clearence, and it can even make the transmission shift itself. You will have fan-radiator issues with the front to back movement too.
None of these things are a problem with 3"...You really only need to look at the cosmetic things like filling the space between the bed and frame, bumper mounting, etc.

For fitting the biggest tires, you can't beat the combination of suspension lift, bodylift, and even cut-out fender flares if you want to go that far.
For off roading, you are better-off with suspension up-grades and cut-outs alone.

I think the disclaimers are a law-suit issue. To keep you from sueing them if you roll the thing over.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 03-05-2005 at 01:16 PM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

ORD Zero Rates will give you an inch of liftwhile remaining safe and maintaining your existing ride, unlike a bodylift which puts lot of extra stress on your body mounts. when they fail under stress, you're in for a hell of a ride.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

My '79 Pickup I just picked up has like a 4" Suspension lift and a 3" Body lift and running 39.5"x16.5"x15" Super Swamper TSL's. Seems pretty sturdy but I don't know. If it was n't on there I would probablay gone with smaller but. I thing they got away with out rolling the axles because of the body lift because its pretty close but I don't know.
-Later
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 03:21 PM   #6
DirtyBurb86
Narcissistic Prick

Even though the burb is a 4x4, I've actually never had it off the pavement - So trail rollovers aren't really a big concern. The lift is primarily for looks, but will also help in those semi-frequent times when my 35s rub the fenders (OUCH!). I checked out the ORD Zero Rates on their website and they look pretty nifty, but I would like a little more than 1" - I appreciate the help though. Hey Longhair, what's the issue with bumper mounting? (Yeah... I'm pretty new at this 4by thing - Sorry).
DirtyBurb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
Mudder

When u do a body lift the bumpers stay put and the rest leaves a 3 inch gap between the body and the bumper. I raised my bumpers to get rid of it.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:22 PM   #8
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

I've had 2 bronco's with sup and body lifts and had no problems. Both trucks were wheeled hard too. I've also had a few friends with Chevy's with both lifts and no problems...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:54 AM   #9
BurnoutNova

ive heard good and bad about combining body and suspention lifts. never done it, but i have know people who did and never heard anyting bad about it, just that id rather not have that 3" gap between the body and frame.

also heard of using front blocks... seems a bit more dangerous than susp and body lifts combined, but again, never heard of the failure caused by it.

go for it.
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote