The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2005, 03:21 AM   #1
the baron

Question dumb licence plate question ??

Hi Guys ,

I had the opportunity to buy about 5 american licence plates at a meeting in France last weekend...

I have some questions about them

1. when a plate has a year on it , does it mean that that plate has to be changed each year ? if Yes , do you hold the same numbers ( digits ) on it , or are the numbers ( digits ) changing each year either ? if the numbers change , do you get each year a new title ?

2. I bought some plates with the mention "truck" on them , where were they hung ? is a C-10 Chevy light duty truck considered as a truck , or am I speaking here of heavy 18 wheelers ?

I did a search through Google , but I couldn't find any relevant information , I just guess it is a local matter , each State does what he want , he ?

Thanks for the inputs

the Baron
the baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:57 AM   #2
75-K5
Bucket of Bolts

Plate styles usually change every few years, which is why each plate will have a year printed on it. Often, if the plates don't change, you will just get a new sticker to cover the year that will read the current year. You don't have to get a new title each year, but you do have to get a new registration slip.

All pickup trucks require "truck" plates. SUV's and minivans have the option of getting car or truck plates (at least in my state). The "truck" might also have a number next to it, some states do and some don't. The number is the weight rating of the truck. Most light trucks will be 7,000. I got 10,000 for my 2500 so I will be legal when towing.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:54 AM   #3
blink32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75-K5
All pickup trucks require "truck" plates.
That is state dependent. CA and NJ (to name two) do not require the Truck designation on light duty pickup trucks. PA does though.

Baron,
If you get a plate with digits stamped into it you don't ever have to replace it with a newer style unless you want to. You just need to update the registration stickers on them if applicable. Some states will also let you transfer the plates to other vehicles you own. And the plates with "truck" designations are displayed in the same locations as regular plates.
blink32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

It's obvious you are going to get a lot of different answer. Each state has it's own set of rules regarding license plates.

Regarding the year stamping- In Texas up until 1974 on regular plates you got a new plate (and number) every year. The plate and number were registered to your vehicle. After 1974 they went to the sticker system. Unless you needed a new plate you kept the same one for 5 years.

In Texas "truck" plates are issued to all light duty trucks. Anything that is 1 ton or lighter is considered a truck...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
mhicks

Now in Texas, all you get is a new sticker for your windsheild, the plate stays the same. The plate is only changed when it gets damaged.
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:57 AM   #6
the baron

Thans for your answers ,

I got a double ( two same plates ) , from Illinois 1979 , just the Year I needed on my "Suburban Project" .

That Burb was imported from Texas back in 1995 & indeed has a sticker on the windshield...

I didn't really observe the other plates , I have one from Wyoming for sure , but they all have the "truck" mention...

Greetz ,

the Baron
the baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:19 AM   #7
geunther

I can help with the Wyoming plate.

The first digit (in front of the bucking horse) denotes the county in the state where the truck was first registered. If you give me that number I can tell you which town the truck was from. The remaining 4 digits are just sequential registration numbers.

They plates were first issued on the stamped year, and were renewed by stickers for 3 to 6 years .

All trucks (from a nissan to a peterbilt) require "truck" plates in Wyoming.