The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #1
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Installing a windshield

What is the proper method on this one.I am going to try to do it tonight,or tomorrow.A link would be good,directions would work.Thanks
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
matthufham

my method was sledgehammer, i should of used gloves becasue now i have another scar for life on my hand. if you want to do it right, get a corner of it out, with wetherstripping still on the glass, and then use steel or piano wire to saw it off the remaining perimeter.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:28 PM   #3
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

the whole purpose is to keep hte windshield
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Old 05-18-2005, 12:29 AM   #4
zapata

well I have tried before and I broke it so sorry
zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:51 AM   #5
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

yeah me too unfortunately
Rusty Member #13872

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Old 05-18-2005, 01:21 AM   #6
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

When I had mine replaced a while back, they first aligned and installed the rubber molding around the frame of the windshield opening. They then lubed the windshield-side of the rubber molding. They placed the lower edge of the windshield into the rubber molding and preceded to use a special tool (like a screwdriver) to lift the rubber molding around the sides and top of the windshield edges. Once the windshield was seated in the molding, they ran a bead of black sealant under the rubber molding along the perimeter of the windshield opening.

Good luck.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:37 AM   #7
ZmOz
Account Suspended

I usually just call the insurance company.
ZmOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:50 AM   #8
the baron

If you can get a "Chevrolet & GMC Light Duty Truck Service manual" , the whole procedure to pull and put a windshield is fully described in there...

I have such a manual , if I can find some time , I could scan the pages about that gem and send them to you

such books are easily to be found on Ebay or by other sellers...

Shortly :

to pull the windshield out :

pull out that faded plastic chrome strip that sits in the seal , on the outside of the seal , go in the truck , lean with your back against the front seat , push with both feet on the winshield , with your feet to be set at 45° ( like Charlie Chaplin ) , feet put a little like the figure below and the windshield should pop out , do this with at least two persons , one pushing the windshield out , the other one catching it when it pops out ( otherwise , your windshield could fly against the wall , depends if you are a bear or a Sissy ! ! )

do it with your shoes off , with your socks on ( Kentucky Hillbillies may do it with bare feet , as usual... )

another way to do it , but it will ruin your seal , is to cut out the seal with a sharp cutter , pull out the windshield ---> more secure to me , anyway

to put the windshield into place :

put the seal around the windshield .

find a thin steel wire , like a bicycle braking cable , or a solid thin rope , you may also use a thicker nylon fishing line , long enough to go fully around the windshield seal , into the groove that sits on the body opening , the length of the rope has to be + one feet at each side of the junction , the junction has to be put on the lower side of the windshield

put the lower lip of the seal where it has to go in the truck windshield opening ( with two persons again ) , pull gently the wire/rope/fishing line from inside the cab , to the bottom up , and the lip will come in the opening...

I just hope you've understand what I just have told , he ?

regards

the Baron
Attached Images

Last edited by the baron; 05-18-2005 at 05:51 AM.
the baron is offline   Reply With Quote