The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
SCOTI

Gas Gauge Stopped Working

Anyone had this dilemma?

My gas gauge has always read slightly off. When filled it would read 1/4 tank past the full mark & then once it hit the 1/2 tank mark it went to empty pretty quickly. No big deal.

About 3~4 weeks ago it started something new. Now, it will sit around the full mark & when you hit the ignition, it swings over to the 3 o'clock position & stays there (full or empty). It sucks having to put gas in every 3-days because you don't know how much is in it.

I looked @ the tan wire that runs to the solenoid (pwr to sending unit?) & it appears to be of sound quality & the ground looks good @ the frame (near the tank, inside the framerail).

What else could it be? I checked fuses & nothing apparent there.
Any suggestions?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:25 AM   #2
chevykid77

it could also be the connections on the back of the guage its self i have had that happen its not getting connection sometimes if you hit dash it will come back but more than likely you will have to remove cluster and clean connections on back of guage....
chevykid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

That's a grounding problem. Check the ground to make sure the wire to the sending unit is okay along with the post it grounds to. Does it do it to both tanks or just one?

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BIG10
That's a grounding problem. Check the ground to make sure the wire to the sending unit is okay along with the post it grounds to. Does it do it to both tanks or just one?
Single tank.
Ground felt fine @ the frame. You can't really get to it on top of the tank though w/o dropping it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 09-06-2005, 12:31 AM   #5
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Might also be the wire itself broken or a short in it. I don't think that it could be a ground at the gauge but never know.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:35 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BIG10
Might also be the wire itself broken or a short in it. I don't think that it could be a ground at the gauge but never know.
My next step is run a temp power wire w/some clips & see if it makes a difference.
Thanks for the suggestions.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-06-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
SSC's76
No No

Ground issue, might be broken in the sender itself. My truck was doing this all summer then the day I was going to fix it it started working again. Gotta love when they fix themselfs.

See if you can drop the tank low enough to get the plug off then play with the ground on the sender and see what the guage does.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:05 AM   #8
DrMaserati
Village Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
My next step is run a temp power wire w/some clips & see if it makes a difference.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Don't waste your time running another power wire. As stated above, what you are describing is caused by poor/lack of ground. If you had no power to the sender it would not come off of empty. With power to the sender but a bad ground it will peg past full.

JP
65 IH 1200C pickup, 4X4, 345, 4 spd
48 IH KB-8-F, RD-450, 5 spd, 35,000 GVW (a REAL truck)

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer." Harry S. Truman
DrMaserati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 01:11 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMaserati
Don't waste your time running another power wire. As stated above, what you are describing is caused by poor/lack of ground. If you had no power to the sender it would not come off of empty. With power to the sender but a bad ground it will peg past full.

JP
I should have been more specific.

If I'm there to run one wire for testing, I'll do both. I'll run a hot lead & see if there's a difference & a new ground & see if there's a difference.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-19-2005, 09:51 AM   #10
SWR

Were you able to figure out the cause of your gauge problem? Mine does the exact same thing. I just haven't had time to look into it yet.

Thanks.
SWR is offline   Reply With Quote