The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
entropy454

dual tank on a 75 chiyenne

Does anyone know how the process works on a 75 truck that has 2 gas tanks?
This truck has a gas tank on the passenger side and one on the driver's side. The gas tank lids for both of them are on the driver's side.
I have a pull lever in the cab that says push for tright side and pull for left side.
It currently wont pull out. So i was wondering if there was something I can work on two alleviate the problem. I assume it is stuck somewhere.
That is why I was wondering if anyone here know how the two tanks work?
thanks
entropy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:28 PM   #2
squint

man.. i wish mine worked like that..! . I have to turn my truck around to fill the other tank.. unless i find a pump with long hoses.. lol..

sorry.. have no idea.. it might just be seized up.. can you follow the cable back and make sure its in good shape?..
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:55 AM   #3
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

That's a new one on me. I've never seen that style either. To me it sounds like a aftermarket item or dealer installed item that has gone out. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a new system like we have on the later models trucks of ours have.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:14 AM   #4
75silverstep
KEEP ON TRUCKIN.

Same Here

Same Here ,i Have A 75 Stepside That Had Dual Tanks My Were On Both Sides Not One ...ive Taken Them Both Off Now And Put One In The Bed..well As Soon As It Comes Back From Paint I Will..sorry Cant Help Either..
Old 10-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
entropy454

Yeah the tanks are on both sides, on the outside of the frame (which I heard was recalled?). The gas caps are both on the same side. The truck is a camper special, could that have anything to do with the setup?

There are 2 hoses that go to the passenger side tank, I had to replace the smaller one that I assume is there to let air out when your filling up the tank.
I did that last night and when I came out today there was a very slow drip of gas in a new location.

The only thing I can guess happened is now with a a closes fuel system, pressure has built up in the tank and have found a small weak spot to cause a leak?

The tank is full so IM hoping when i drive it soem it will get past the bad spot and I just wont fill it up to full anymore till I figure out whats going on.

Im going to try to see if the tank switching line is froze up, maybe the drivers side tank is in better shape. I just cant figure out how you can manually switch between tanks.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
entropy454

Anyone know by chance how large the fuel tanks are on a double setup like this normally?
thanks
Old 10-13-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

If the tanks are factory and considering it is a Camper special, (I am guessing it is a LWB truck) then the tanks are 20gal apiece.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 03:38 PM   #8
entropy454

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75silverstep
Same Here ,i Have A 75 Stepside That Had Dual Tanks My Were On Both Sides Not One ...ive Taken Them Both Off Now And Put One In The Bed..well As Soon As It Comes Back From Paint I Will..sorry Cant Help Either..
I think the passenger side tank is leaking now from a hole. Im thinking about fixing my tank switch and attempting to use the drivers side tank first before trying to replace the tanks.

How hard is it to remove a gas tank.

The passenger side tank area is pretty rusted so I might just remove it to save weight. I looked at it and think I may have to cut it out but not sure if there is a way to do that without causing a fire.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:04 PM   #9
entropy454

In an attempt to try to use the driver's side gas tank. I emptied the leaking passenger side tank and put some gas in the driver's side.
Prolly about 4 gallons plus what I had in it before , so prolly 5-6 gallons.
Now I have to figure how to get the gas tank switch to work.

There is a mechanical pull switch in the cab that Im suppose to be able to pull and it will switch tanks.
It doesnt move so I checked it out tonight under the truck.

The mechanical line that you pull on goes to a traversing device for a better term.

It looks like 1 line comes from each tank and goes into the bottom half of a "transfering device" and from this, one line goes to the front of the truck(prolly to carb)

The top part of the transfering device also has 3 lines. It looks like two go to the tanks and one goes to the front of the truck.

COuld these 3 top lines be part of a 75 emission control setup? Did the 75 truck have the charcoal canister style emission control setup?
thanks

On