The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
jfarnbach

Notch 1968 SWB Frame to get extreme drop!

I currently have a 1968 Chevy SWB that I am looking to drop. I have seen numerous aftermarket frames but they are $4500 + and I am not looking to spend that kind of cash. I have seen a few stock frames which have been notched or subframed to get an extreme amount of drop and I was curious to know if anyone has done this and may be able to provide any advise/pictures. Thanks.

Jay
jfarnbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Joe67
67 is sold

Re: Notch 1968 SWB Frame to get extreme drop!

Welcome

There are plenty of nice bare frames out there to start with.
I'm building a 4/6 static drop on my chassis, no need for a notch here

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:23 PM   #3
NORCAL_GUY73

depending on how low you want to go you have a bunch of choices. Easiest is the bolt in notch offered by several companies. U can build your won step notch, but be careful because the frame tapers in the rear and makes for a not too easy bend in the notch. kp components offers a weld in notch designed for the rear of these frames. it is almost 200 bucks but worth it.
Search around on previous posts and you will see a lot of ideas.
Good luck... Also if you contact kp components and talk to clint he has built several of these trucks to be very very low.
NORCAL_GUY73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:09 PM   #4
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

As Joe said, at 6" drop you still won't need a notch. I'm at 5.5" and don't feel I need to notch. If you are going to bag your truck, you may want the extra space. McGaughy's also makes a good notch for these trucks and I think it's around 120- or less.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

As Joe said, at 6" drop you still won't need a notch. I'm at 5.5" and don't feel I need to notch. If you are going to bag your truck, you may want the extra space. McGaughy's also makes a good notch for these trucks and I think it's around 120- or less.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
jfarnbach

Hey guys thanks for the reply. I am looking to set this truck on the ground. I have contemplated building a frame or modifying the stock frame. I had a 65 SWB with 5/6 drop and did not need a notch but I would like to go lower. I am looking to bag it so I can set this truck on the frame rails when it is parked. I have seen a few articles in Classic Trucks Mag. and on CPP's website. I was not aware that there were bolt/weld in notches so I will have to look it up. Once again, thanks for the info. Hopefully I will make it work and let you all know how it turned out.

Jay
jfarnbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Well, if you're looking to completely lay out, a bolt-in c-notch will not cut it. You're going to need to go to a step notch most likely. Places like ***************** offer step notches that you can use, but those require extensive fabrication skills. Also, you'll have to notch your bed out back and may have to alter the wheelwells depending on what size tire you want to run. Up front, you're going to need to either Z the frame, or notch the crossmember/get drop crossmember and possibly might have to Z and do the crossmember drop. There are numerous threads on here that detail what is involved. If you search through the threads in this suspension forum, you'll find them pretty easily. Good luck with what you decide to do!