The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
beaterC10

I like Autozone

The radiator on my truck announced its retirement today.
I stopped at Autozone and asked if they would honor the lifetime warranty on my 5 year old radiator - They did, didn't even need the original receipt.

I am guessing they don't count on guys like me who own the same old truck forever.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
hobbz

Re: I like Autozone

i always pay the 10-15 bucks extra if i can get a lifetime warrenty on parts. it is well worth it

1987 Short Step 350/350
hobbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:48 PM   #3
a28doc
'87 V20 4x4

glad you had a good exp with them I had trouble last yr getting an exchange on a heater core that went south in just over a weeks time from being installed me and the mgr went 30 rounds and I told him I know alot of people in this town and they would hear from me it was his choice guess what I got my heater core lol
Doc
a28doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:27 PM   #4
matthufham

this body shop painted a tailgate of mine, and the clear started coming up after about 7 years. i took it back since it had a lifetime warranty, and they didn't have it on record since they got a new computer system. i showed them my receipt and sure enough they were shocked i had it, and repainted it for a small fee.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:31 PM   #5
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

The thing about Autozone is if one guy is a A hole go to the next store. In my city there is a Autozone on every corner just like Mc Donalds. I can get to about 4 Autozone's, 1 Pepboys, 1 O Reillys and 2 diffrent Napa stores all with in 10 minutes from my house.
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:02 PM   #6
SlapFish
Real Men Wear Orange

We have an Advance Auto Parts with an Auto Zone across the street. Which has a Napa next door. Which has a Meineke and an inspection station two or three doors down. Needless to say, parts aren't hard to find.
SlapFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:14 PM   #7
75stepside
*Proud Member*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterC10
The radiator on my truck announced its retirement today.

i'm going to use that language some time!
75stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:29 PM   #8
BIG ORANGE

I work for Advance Auto Parts and 1 thing I have learned all of the store mention about have good days aswell as bad ones. I do like the way Advance has several registers and computers but AZ in our town only has 2 registers! And people come in our store all the time and complain about that,but Advance is BIG around here. So shop at Avance and help my 401-K plan.lol

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:13 AM   #9
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I bought a bunch of lifetime warranted stuff for my truck when I bought it 4 1/2 years ago. At the time, all the auto parts chain store were advetising "free replacement for the life of your car."

That stuff is finally going out. I have tried to take things back twice now to Pep Boys that I bought with a lifetime warranty. They keep telling me that it was a "limited" lifetime warranty, and that it is only warranted against manufacturer's defects. They refused to replace my worn out brakes saying they aren't warranted against wear and tear. That's NOT what they told me when I bought them. What really made me mad is that I can't show them a receipt showing they are lifetime warranted. They use thermal paper receipts that are just blank now because they fade over time.

The second thing I took back was a set of shocks. They argued with me, but they did replace them. They replaced them with shocks that have a limited lifetime warranty. So much for "free replacement for the life of your car."

The idiot manager argued with me that you can't warranty things that wear out. Too bad they DID. He said "If you wear out a Craftsman tool, do you think they will replace it with no questions asked?" I told him that they sure did the Monday before that when I took them a screwdriver with a worn out tip. They didn' even look at it. They just gave me another one.

Freakin' moron.

Slonaker
Old 10-30-2005, 04:12 AM   #10
hobbz

a way to get around the thermal paper is when you need to preserve it just copy it. you can do it on a home scanner/printer combo, or go to the library that pay a nickle a copy

1987 Short Step 350/350
hobbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:16 AM   #11
SSC's76
No No

Thats cool they covered it, most places will give you the 3rd degree since theres no reason a 5 year old radiator should crap out unless abused.

Time to rant on two fronts!
I hate Autozone.

@ The Shop.
We use to have them as our main account at the shop. They were fine at first, then as the years went by commerical managers left they hired in new people instead of hiring in store. Deleviery times were very bad some times it would take 2-4 hours to get a part and the store is 6 minutes away by car, hitting all 4 red lights even. We slowly phased them over for Checker and Advanced. Then a shop opend up 60 miles away in a small town, nearly the same name as ours. At the end of the week we were getting bills but we were not using them. We called corprate explained the situation they said they would fix it. BY FIXING IT THEY LOST ALL OF OUR WARRENTY INFORMATION FOR THE SHOP! 10 years and over 30,000 parts with a liftime warrenty were lost. Now we have to dig up old AZ tickets to prove the part was purchased from them, fight the store with no ticket or eat the part.

Persoanlly.

None of my personal warrenty information was ever on hand, EVER!!! They lost it in the computer a on a 1 year old clutch for my truck, then the starter for my firebird which was 6 months old then the alt which was 3 months old they could find no records on anything I ever got from them.

I guess the lesson here is always keep your own records!
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:08 AM   #12
75stepside
*Proud Member*

i used to work at Advance and i have since aquired a technique that i often use when i buy lifetime limited warranty brakes... i buy the brakes that are warrantied, and with advance, they will replace 'em once - that is the warranty. well, after i put the new pads on, i stick the old in the box... put them in my truck with the slip, then about a month later, i make the exchange, and then i have the new part on my shelf for when i need it.
75stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:30 AM   #13
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Hmmm.... Anyone seeing a pattern here. Guys, you can continue to buy this junk if you want to but I refuse to buy it. I don't like replacing parts all the time. A very good example is the radiator. My truck still has the factory radiator in it. 20 + years and still going strong. The Autozone piece of crap lasted 5 years.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:30 PM   #14
beaterC10

I wasn't impressed that the replacement radiator only lasted 5 years either, but if they are willing to replace it at no cost, I can't argue with that. I looked at the factory radiator in my 87 parts truck, but old age was getting to it as well. I don't think using a radiator to cool a basically stock 350 in a daily driver qualifies as abuse.

It seems like buying anyone's replacement parts these days is the same as playing the lottery. I have been stuck with OEM, US, and Mexican parts on about an equal basis.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:26 PM   #15
Ric83

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin
Hmmm.... Anyone seeing a pattern here. Guys, you can continue to buy this junk if you want to but I refuse to buy it. I don't like replacing parts all the time. A very good example is the radiator. My truck still has the factory radiator in it. 20 + years and still going strong. The Autozone piece of crap lasted 5 years.
My thoughts exactly. The only time I go into an Autozone is to rent a tool or to buy cleaning supplies.
Ric83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:04 PM   #16
Matt_305

Here in the north we have Canadian Tire where me and my dad work, while my truck is currently in the shop there I'm using liftetime warranties on shocks,brakes and mufflers that are 10 years old before the truck was taken off the road, I love warranties
Old 11-01-2005, 09:44 PM   #17
WLPTMP

well i'm a parts manager for a gm dealer u can see the difference between parts and some are cheaper than aftermarket
WLPTMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:13 PM   #18
Jebb1978

Arrg I say to Autozone! The problem with all these places is the guys working there rarley know anything that is not on thier computer. I had a guy screw up and sell me the wrong clutch. We questioned it during installation because it looked so different. "Oh well aftermarket parts and all, lets see if it fits okay.." Fit okay, must be good? Nope! The first time I engaged the clutch with the engine running I heard the most horrible sound I hope I ever hear. Needless to say the part # he gave me was not listed as the part for my year and modle. They said sorry and replaced the clutch and only the clutch! I had metal shavings all over the place! The clutch fork was in peices and the bell housing was grooved and had some nasty looking gouges in it. I tried the "I'm tired of yelling at you, get your boss" routine and all. Nothing, it is thier policy that they are not responsible if they didn't sell it to you. Jerks!! I actually have always had good luck with thier Duralast starters and alternaters so I still buy that stuff there. I try to avoid giving them money whenever possible since that incident. How can you say "Sorry that was our falt" and refuse to make it right?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:33 AM   #19
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebb1978
Arrg I say to Autozone! The problem with all these places is the guys working there rarley know anything that is not on thier computer
You should try buying something for an old street rod built from parts of 20 or 30 other cars. I had a guy insist upon trying to look up the part number for the battery on my '37 Chevy on his computer. I told him that, even if his computer listed it, the part woulf be wrong. A 6 volt car converted to 12 volts was beyond comprehension for him. He finally listed it as a battery for my truck for his warranty stuff in the computer.

The same thing happened when I went to another place for an exhaust donut. The guy could not figure out how to find one for a smallblock Chevy when I had the manifold in my hand. He kept trying to look it up by application. I could not get him to understand that the engine did not EXIST when the car was built...

Slonaker
Old 11-02-2005, 12:09 PM   #20
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs down Re: I like Autozone

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin
Amen brother mike,

Im with you i quit buying that junk stuff 20 years ago all i buy is ACDELCO thats it put it on once and your done.

The only thing i wont use by ACDELCO is thier batterys iv'e had 4 or 5 leak from the + terminal and now i only use Optmia.

The only things i buy from the big chain stores is paint, lamps, oil filters, things they can't fuk up.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote