The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
zipgun
ZIPGUN

Hello New here.

I just bought a 85 SWB K10 4x4 for a dollar from my buddy. The truck ran fine and he parked and then it wouldnt start. He had it towed to a repair shop and they said it had jumped timing. My question is, if it jumped timing when he was driving home shouldnt it have sounded like a firefight going on in the exhaust ? He said it sounded fine on the way home. Just wouldnt start afterward. Its in good shape to be an 85 , 4x4 works. Anyway input on this would be appreciatted. I'd like to get it running and give it to my oldest son for his first ride.

Thanks

Steve
zipgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
crawdad

Re: Hello New here.

zipgun, check your ignition module to make sure it hasn't gone bad on you. They're notorious for just quitting all of a sudden like that. I'm like you, if it had jumped timing, he would have known it right then. BTW, welcome to the board. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board (I'm not one of them ), and if it can be figured out, these guys can do it.

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
86 GMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
zipgun, check your ignition module to make sure it hasn't gone bad on you. They're notorious for just quitting all of a sudden like that. I'm like you, if it had jumped timing, he would have known it right then. BTW, welcome to the board. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board (I'm not one of them ), and if it can be figured out, these guys can do it.
with someone else trying to starts the truck you stand in front of it with the breather of does the carberator spit a flame out of it or does it spit fuel up if either one of these happens def. have the timing wrong.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:08 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Welcome to the forum zipgun. I'll have to agree with crawdad here. It "could" have jumped time when your buddy attempted to start it but it sounds more like something electronic died.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:05 AM   #5
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs up Re: Hello New here.

Welcome 2 the board zippy,

Check all the simple stuff first like the timing IE bring No.1 cyl. to TDC and make shure the rotor is pointing to it. this will tell you for shure if you have jumped timing or not if thats good then check your rotor, cap, the wiring going to and from the dist.& coil. (check all the Ign. wires & spark plugs).

If all that looks good or is new then remove the Ign. module and take it to your fav auto parts house and have them test it to see if it's good or bad they will do this for free!

Thats all i can think of for now and that should keep ya busy for awhile! let us know what you find.

Good luck

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
zipgun
ZIPGUN

Fellas,
I moved the crank with a breaker bar and socket to TDC and the rotor is pointing to number 5 as you look at the distributor from the front it is pointing to the right rear instead of right front. UGH !!! So what should I do now ? I dont think anything bent. New distributor ? Got any ideas on jumped timing ?

Thanks

Steve
Old 12-17-2005, 11:02 PM   #7
olblue81

Sounds like you've got it on TDC of #6 right now. Don't panic. Spin it over 1 more revolution and you'll be at TDC of #1. But don't get ahead of yourself.
Go back to basics. Do you have spark? Check by taking the #1 plug out and grounding it. Use a jumper wire instead of holding the plug. If you don't have a jumper wire, make 1 from 18" of 12 guage and 2 aligator clips. Clip onto the plug threads and the other to ground. Go crank the engine to check for spark. If you've got no spark, then start diagnosing that. If all that's good, check for fuel. With key off, pump carb linkage twice by hand. Accelerator pump in carb should squirt. It will be audible and you should smell gas. If you have gas, does it smell stale? If not, check the needle and seat may be stuck or fuel pump diaghram may have rotted.
Probably something simple. Running or not, you got a hell of a deal. Wish I had buddies like that.

1981 GMC Sierra Classic LWB
355- original 2 bolt block, 10.2:1, vortec heads, Comp XE268 cam, built by self in 1992
700R4-2000 stall with lockup, shift kit, Corvette servo
3.07 open diff- I need a 3.73 posi!

2nd owner since 1986 - 388,000 km and counting. 100k by the first owner and the rest by me.

Last edited by olblue81; 12-17-2005 at 11:06 PM.
olblue81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:30 PM   #8
zipgun
ZIPGUN

Okay have tried to crank the engine. Set it to TDC on number 1. I am getting a Yellow spark and the small wire running from the negative battery cable fried its black coating. Not the big one, the little one. Any ideas ?

Thanks