The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2002, 11:08 AM   #1
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

Arrow 67-72 Annual Truck Show?? Lets make it happen.

Ok I think Brothers has a Chevy Truck Show, but why don't we all get together, and have a 67-72 truck show? In a central location. I mean know messing around, get all the 67-72 parts suppliers involved, advertize in all the major Mags, like Chevy Trucks, Classic Trucks, and Truckin. Plan like a year ahead of time, um errr like now for next summer? Makes sense. Huge Swap meet, contests, giveaways, burnout contests, drags, swimsuit contests, the whole 9 yards. And of course there must be a "underconstruction class" for me! LOL But it must be well thought out, and planned around other major Truck shows, so not to interfer.

Come on we have the technoligy people! LOL

Can we save this to the top of the board?
(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 01:17 PM   #2
Woody

OK, Here's a idea. How about Beach Bend Park in Bowling Green KY??
Reasons why this would be a good place:

1) Western KY is within a days drive of 3/4 of the population of the US. (This is why the Boy Scout Museum was in Murray KY, moved to Dallas TX in 2001)

2) Beach Bend Park has a NHRA 1/4 drag strip.

3) On-site Camping and a lot of local motels.

4) Vender Area near the strip area.

5) Wife and kids can enjoy the theme park attached.

6) KY is a Beatiful State. (ok i'm partial)

7) Bowling Green is home of the Corvette plant and Museum. Tours availible for groups. Everyone wants the job of the guy that drives each new 'Vette off the end of the line, across rumble strips to set the shocks, then directly to a chassis dyno for a test & tune drive.

I don't know the cost of something like this, but I know several car clubs meet or use to meet there and rent out the strip. I went down there in the early '90s (yes a long time ago) for a GSCA (Gran Sport Club of America) meet and it was pretty nice. Man you can't believe some of those Turbo V6's and how they run.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 02:01 PM   #3
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Woody has some good points on why Kentucky is a good spot BUT I say Missouri! How about Columbia? Right smack dab in the center of this big hunk a dirt (well in Missouri it is rock), anywho....

Great idea, but these type events are very very very time consuming to pull together. I have put a few boat rallies together and it is a second job with hours like your first!
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 03:16 PM   #4
Woody

Yes this would take a lot of set up time. Probably more than most would be willing to put in. Also I would think Advanced tickets would be a must, so as to insure enough people were coming to finance to show. It worked for the GSCA because it was an annual event, club & vender sponcered, had pre-registration and everyone knew it was going to be the first week of May every year, so they had planned for it.

How big was the Pigien Ford/Gallinburg Tenn. turnout this past May??

It would be cool. Just think a few hundred 67-72 Chevy Trucks all together for a weekend.................

Oh Yea!! This park is on the Green River and there is always a big mud hole that the big crowd makes cars/trucks/motorcycles go thru come sun down. Back in the 80's they had a motorcycle rally there and things got so out of hand (at the hole) that the State Police were call in. They rolled a van, burned it, then put it in the river. As respectable truck owners we would act better than this.

Last edited by Woody; 09-12-2002 at 03:21 PM.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 06:58 PM   #5
treefrog

Gathering

I'm all for it. Frankly, I've seen all the pre-49's I ever want to see for the rest of my life. You've seen one, you've seen all of them.

RE your question on the Pigeon Forge TN, they are always extremely well attanded, in the high hundreds to mid thousands.

The only draw-back I can see is the organization of such an event. If you can figure a schedule, I'm in. I know David King is trying to stage an event. The problem he's having is getting people to commit. I agree, get the $ up front, and if you don't show, your problem. Just my opinion, but I'll send the $$, TF
treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 08:01 PM   #6
BOSS
Just here to help

I think it is a great idea and it would motivate some of us to get our trucks ready for the show.Although i know nothing about getting things like this together i would like to help.Just need to give everyone alot of notice so they could set up there vacation time.Would love to see it happen................James

Norwood Survivor
BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 08:35 PM   #7
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

I think as a location, though, we need to figure out maybe what's close to most of the population of the board. It's gonna be midwest, my guess...

Pretty much anywhere within a day or two's drive from AZ, though, and I will so be there. I mean, I am planning to go to Reno next year...
Old 09-12-2002, 10:07 PM   #8
72chevyLWB
Got 20's????

How about in Nebraska or South Dakota. That way maybe the Canada people's will be able to make it too.
72chevyLWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 10:25 PM   #9
justin
PROJECT LO-LYF

I also think it should be in the mid west. There are no big car shows here in St. Louis what so ever. Let's have a big shin-dig right here under the arch! Guaranteed to get in all the big mags.
It seems like every one wants to do it in there home town so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. Either way, where ever it is I am always ready to make a road trip.

PROJECT: LO-LYF

Bagged 68 Shorty

home.att.net/~justin.lewis
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 10:50 PM   #10
big71
Account Suspended

hey i just did a poll and i do want to make it happin thanks let go trucking
big71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 10:54 PM   #11
primerbomb71

how about a poll on the states that board members live and that will narrow it down alot. just a thought!
Old 09-12-2002, 11:28 PM   #12
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Great thought guys, but in reality, how many of us can afford to hop in our trucks and drive half way across the country? I'm in the middle, so it might be reasonable, depending on location (Kansas City or Oklahoma City would both work well, central location, major highway access, etc.), but the guys on either coast would be hard pressed to make it to this part of the country.

Here's another scenario, have regional meets that hopefully do well enough to pay expenses for those winners to make it to a national event. Trucks only (f**ds on the back row), and hopefully get the backing of the truck mags, etc., to help promote and put on the events. Cities nationwide vie for events that bring people and their money to their location, so that is something that works to the advantage of a project like this.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
The 31st National Flatpicking Contest (bluegrass music), also known as the Walnut Valley Festival, kicked off here in Winfied today, 700 campers in line this morning for opening of the camping area (the festival is still a week away). It started 31 years ago with a handfull of guitar pickers and a couple tents, and there will be 12,000 people here for it by next weekend, they never even dreamed it would be this big.

Think about it, 12,000 cool trucks (with a couple lame f**ds on the back row) all in one place, would that be heaven or what?

Old 09-12-2002, 11:51 PM   #13
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

My thoughts on this to tell you the truth is it will never happen. I think what might be a reality is a divisional get together. Spilt areas up and have a meet in the center of that area. North America is a very big place!!!!!
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 12:10 AM   #14
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

OK, My pitch Charleston, WVa hosted the Ponitac Club Intnat. Meet in July. 15OO cars, 270 vendors, Tony Stewart was in etc etc. We got mountains, drag strip 20 miles, food ,motels etc.etc. Close for me !!!!!!!! I think its a great idea,but to do on our own would be hard, time,gettin' guys to commit,$$$$, etc. I've already been to Charlotte, Pigeon Forge and met some of the members and had a good time. The mid- west would be a central location,maybe do a cruise to and from. If it could get done I'd try to be a part of it. Only thing I ask try to do it in early NOV., so it would be cool. Hate the hot weather meets My 02 !!!!!!! Hey BARN, I got a good friend who won the Nat Flat-pickin Champ. a few yrs ago
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 12:58 AM   #15
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

Nebraska gets my vote....hehe.....Hey!, I even know a guy that has about 80 acres in his backyard and a good portion of it is perfectly flat ground..........of course it is all dirt and grass, but it's only 2 miles off the highway....hehe.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 01:41 AM   #16
basketcase

Truck Show

Just got back a week ago from the big Labor Day Corvette show in Bowling Green Ky. Beech Bend is a very good spot for a show. We even had drags on Sunday am before the regular weekend show got under way. Also had Corvette plant tours and it is a great area for senic road tours.

Kalamazoo Michigan is also a good area . Brand new 1/4 mile drag strip (US131) and great road tour area. Also there is a road course just north a ways if we wanted to have an event a little different for the trucks.

Another choice is Gateway Raceway in East St. Louis. Great place to have performance events and then, as has been suggested, have a Show and Shine under the arch on the other side of the river.

Tom
Old 09-13-2002, 02:40 AM   #17
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

Keep the input coming!

I agree on Kentucky is a good choice I think, almost as central as it gets, and isn't Southern Kentucky Classics in Bowling Green? Sound good to me.

But nontheless we need a show dedicated to the best Trucks on the planet! For sure!

I think it's very possible, with the proper advertizement in mags, and on the net, and with 67-72 parts distributiors, I think a good idea would be for all the part suppliers to gather up all there customers e-mails and send out fliers. Just think everyone that owns a 67-72 has ordered parts from one or the other, so that will reach most every owner.

Keep the thoughts coming, lets not let this topic die, Rod can we post this or similar Topic to the top?
(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 08:42 PM   #18
Power Trip
Got Caddy?

I have posted on the poll for where the truck show should be. I normally wouldn't listen to a basketcase but I agree with him. The only problem might be for the people on the west coast that might be to far. Maybe we can split it up into two sections and have two differnet events. Just keeping the post alive Jim .
Power Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 10:16 PM   #19
grnddwn
belly dragger

If you can move to a more central north location I will be there. And I'm Canadian
grnddwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 12:17 AM   #20
basketcase

Quote:
Originally posted by Power Trip
I normally wouldn't listen to a basketcase but I agree with him. Jim .
I was going to say that the truck is the basketcase ,not me. But some days I'm not too sure.

Last edited by basketcase; 09-14-2002 at 12:19 AM.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 12:23 AM   #21
sevenwonder

Built up to it.
Spilt up into divisionals and have a meet in the center of that area. Maybe then on the 3rd or 4th year have a national event. That will give more members the time to get ready for it, not so far to go, and by the time the nationals come around you'll know who will help or not.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:06 AM   #22
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

Hey Woody!

You did not mention the large 67-72 truck population that is in Kentucky. I have to believe that there are more of these trucks on the road there than any other state!

I believe that you have proposed a great location fo a truck meet.
No matter where it is held, there will be those that cannot make it because of the distance. Like has been noted, this is a big continent.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote