The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
ben@speedbarn
Done yet?

Steering problem

I have been having a problem with my steering on my 76 GMC k2500. I got the truck in pretty bad shape about a year ago. Put about 200 miles on it and didn't notice anything wrong with the steering. Since then I have fixed most of the problems with the truck and replaced all the springs and shocks including a 4" lift. Now when I drive down the road it will be going straight and then randomly veer into the left lane(with the steering wheel staying straight). This is going about 10-15mph. When I turn it back to the right it takes a bit before it will feel like it catches...then it goes too far to the right. All the ball joints and everything look fine. When sitting still both tires start turning at the same time as the steering wheel in both directions and there doesn't seem to be any slop. I also tried tightening the adjustment on the steering box but that didn't help at all.

My only guess is that there is something loose inside the gear box but i wanted to get some other opinions before I drop the $150.

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Steering problem

Have you taken a close look at the drag link on the frame ahead of the wheels? If that is tight along with the tierod ends, then I would look into the steering box.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
ben@speedbarn
Done yet?

It all seems to be very tight. I jacked up one side at a time and the wheel wouldnt' budge left or right...so it seems to be a very tight connection.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #4
ben@speedbarn
Done yet?

Anyone else agree with the steering box being the culprit? I was thinking of maybe a bearing or hub locking up...even though they seem fine...but then that should cause the steering wheel to move/jerk.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:22 AM   #5
Trimman

Is the frame cracked where the box mounts? My 2 WD did the same thing. With the engine running grab the steering shaft and turn it while looking at the box if it moves to much look at where the box mounts to the frame you'll see the crack. Their kits out there to fix it but I dont know the names off hand.
edelbrock performer eps intake
dynomax headers/flowmaster 70's
BTO 700r4 level 3
custom 2 piece driveshaft
12 bolt gov loc w/3.08
Trimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
ben@speedbarn
Done yet?

Yeah that is what I was thinking at first because it is common but it is tight.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I'm thinking that if you have checked the tierod ends, Drag Link, upper and lower balljoints, and the wheel bearings, then it would have to be in the front steering box. I would not open that door until I knew that all the other was right.

Last edited by piecesparts; 01-03-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #8
ben@speedbarn
Done yet?

Whats the best way to check the wheel bearings besides taking the hub off?
Old 01-03-2006, 01:19 PM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Jack the truck up to the point where the wheel is off of the ground, Grab the tire at the top and the bottom and try to lift the whole assembly up and down. If there is a lot of play, then the wheel bearings are loose or in need of being replaced. (This could be your wheel dance that you were concerned about) How long has it been since the front end was reworked, I would consider a repack of the wheel bearings in any case, if it has been awhile. This will require a new seal for the hub and a good grade o grease. I have a tool for pumping grease into the bearings, but it can be done by hand.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
ben@speedbarn
Done yet?

Ok. So up and down movement is wheel bearings and left to right is ball joints? I'll be checking the bearings whenever I get home from work.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #11
Jim85IROC

I was recently experiencing a very similar problem to yours. Mine didn't veer into oncoming traffic without warning, but when making a turn, I never knew how much I'd have to turn it, or how much I'd have to go the other way to compensate... and it would "snap" past where I wanted.

It turned out to be one of the u-joints at the front wheel. It was siezed right up, so it wasn't allowing the steering to function properly.

Like you, I suspected it was the drag link or the tie rods. Since they were somewhat worn, I replaced them, and while it helped, it didn't fix the problem. Like you, I thought it was the steering box, but by that point I gave up and sent it to a shop to have them deal with it. I was surprised when it turned out to be a u-joint. Since I had that replaced, the truck steers properly.
My Sounddomain Page
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

U-joints on the front axle (the axle shaft joints--NOT the driveshaft) is a common problem with the four wheel drive trucks. I had this problem years ago, however, I didn't get the jump back and forth response. It could happen. If you go to the trouble to take the wheels off to repack, I would go ahead and do the front axle u-joints, especially with winter still in progress. This will entail taking the axles out of the front pumpkin.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #13
Zoomad75
K5Camper

I'd still look at the frame where the steering box mounts. It is very common to these trucks, even moreso on the 4wd models. It might not show much movement at a rest either. Meaning the cracks are not that bad, yet. Movement could be happening when you have more load on the box. Its not that hard to pull the box and look the frame over. If all other components are tight (ball joints, tie rods ends, drag link, wheel bearings and even axle u-bolts) then pull the box and look the frame over. If the frame is ok along with everything else, then get another steering gear. When you put it back together get the bolt in steering box brace from off road design.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #14
ben@speedbarn
Done yet?

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll be double checking a few things. I'll let you know what fixes it!!