The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
68haywagon
I'm watching you!

Talking Weekend progress???

I finally decided to go out and tear apart my 71 disc brake crossmember. I got to wear my new coveralls that my mom got me for Christmas

Anyone else get anything done?

Mike
Attached Images

1968 Chevrolet C-10 longbed fleetside - sold
68haywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
dennislbrooks

Re: Weekend progress???

got one that looks near like it--same amount of pieces. Mom's do good.
dennislbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Got the 700r4 in- again.
Hung my poly Blazer tank. Inlet is right where the bed crossmember is... Time for some new cutoff wheels!

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:57 PM   #4
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

Been working on stripping the Vette to hopefully get it to paint in Feburary. I might die first thought, I've got about 6 hours in sanding on the first fender. Using 220 wet/dry, and it's going VERY slow. I don't want to go to a rougher grit and mess up the fiberglass and don't want to use stripper and have it get into the gelcoat, and I cant' afford to have it media blasted. As far as the truck, the only thing I managed to get done on it today was breaking the driver's side hood hinge as I was going to do a quick check on the carb.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

hmmmm does thinking about the project while working on a case of beer last night count?
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:26 PM   #6
QKENUF4U

got the cab roof in primer and started on the doors/front fenders/cab corners. hopefully have it in primer before summer hits. good thing is the cab corners arent beat up as bad as i though they might be. (old farm truck so they are just dented a bit)
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:47 PM   #7
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

My truck is in the blocking and sanding stages...been on vacation all week and got the doors,hood & fenders lined up and primed & blocked & primed & blocked & primed & blocked & primed & blocked & primed & blocked and I'm tired! Tomorrow is another day off and I'll do some more. Pics later.
Botietruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:57 PM   #8
Orence1

Filled the seam line on cab top. Going for the smooth look. Worked out a dent near the rt. tail light and finished up two other dents with final filler coats. Hoping to epoxy the entire body soon. Then on to inner fender install along with replacement driver side fender. Bodywork, bodywork, bodywork.
Happy New Year.
Larry
Orence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:52 AM   #9
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I pulled a 12 bolt rearend apart and rebuilt it for my 72 truck. That gives me 3.08 ratio, which is what I really wanted. I took lots of photos, so in the future if someone has a question about setting one up, I can supply many 1000's of words worth of pictures.

I also did a big brake swap onto the back of the 72. I got a parts rearend that uses some freaky big oversized 5 lug drum brakes from another member on here. It all bolted right on, so now I have huge rear brakes to go along with the 1 ton booster and master cylinder I was already running. I got big brakes, that's for sure

I removed the manifolds from my 292 and detailed them with POR15 engine paint. While I had it all off, I rebuilt the carburetor and changed the valve cover gasket too.

I tore an old Saginaw 3 speed apart to rebuild for the 72 also. I'll stop by and get the rebuild parts in the morning on the way home from work.

I fought several grass fires on Friday and Saturday at the local volunteer department where I live.

Today, I worked at my real paying job at the big city fire department. Same old politics and crap as always.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:37 AM   #10
69chevytruck

I completed my 3x1 intake for my 250. This included rebuilding the three carbs, fabricating the fuel lines and linkage, and several trips to the various part stores in town. I will get it bolted on in the morning and tune it. If that goes well I will post pictures on my site. If it doesn't go well, I will let you know how far an intake can be thrown.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:53 AM   #11
chevybill

I test fit my engine and tranny to determine exactly where my new crossmember should go, removed old 3 speed crossmember, installed new crossmember,painted gas tank straps, headlight bezels and oil pan braces (vortec motor).

Also cleaning and organizing in the shop.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #12
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
I pulled a 12 bolt rearend apart and rebuilt it for my 72 truck. That gives me 3.08 ratio, which is what I really wanted. I took lots of photos, so in the future if someone has a question about setting one up, I can supply many 1000's of words worth of pictures.

I also did a big brake swap onto the back of the 72. I got a parts rearend that uses some freaky big oversized 5 lug drum brakes from another member on here. It all bolted right on, so now I have huge rear brakes to go along with the 1 ton booster and master cylinder I was already running. I got big brakes, that's for sure

I removed the manifolds from my 292 and detailed them with POR15 engine paint. While I had it all off, I rebuilt the carburetor and changed the valve cover gasket too.

I tore an old Saginaw 3 speed apart to rebuild for the 72 also. I'll stop by and get the rebuild parts in the morning on the way home from work.

I fought several grass fires on Friday and Saturday at the local volunteer department where I live.

Today, I worked at my real paying job at the big city fire department. Same old politics and crap as always.
Damn I wish I had your energy, put alot of things / ideas on paper for
the ROADSTER prohect, getting it all lined out with cost and priority
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
Primered_69

I got my frame totally apart. Stripped the rust and paint off the frame. Wire cupped on grinder 98% of it. Need to get an air grinder to get te last 2%. It is all shiney metal now.

Next off, figure out if I want to go Tractor paint with hardener or .....? I would like to get it painted in the next two or three weeks.

I have drop spindles and spings for front 3 1/2 drop. Dearched springs in back for 4 inches and considering dropped shackles for another 1 1/2 inches in back. I want to have it back rolling and painted in 1 to two months.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #14
dennislbrooks

One way that I like is Zero-Rust and a 2" or 3 " roller. It wants to be as close to bare metal and surface rust as it can get--do not prime first. Flows nicely after rolled. Tight places you can use a small brush or get a couple of spray cans of it. There are other good products also and other methods. Thoroughly read and understand the instructions -- urethane based.
dennislbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #15
ratrod67

Got my exhaust done and drove the truck for the 1st time(legally).
Attached Images

ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #16
chevybill

ratrod67, that is a very nice lwb truck you got there.
i am going to get mine back together and on the road someday.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:40 PM   #17
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I cleared leaves from the deck and back yard.Painted trim in a spare bedroom,washed my DD and the wifes,broke down about 100 boxes the wife finally unpacked,and cleared about 500 pounds of crap out of the garage and threw it away.Also started cleaning and organizing the garage.Not too bad since I only worked on it sat and sun after 2:OO.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:24 PM   #18
Myself

I got my wife's TH350 put back in her truck after I just rebuilt it. Stripped and painted the crossmember and driveshaft while I was at it. And installed new u-joints. Took it for a drive and shifts great so far. I'm proud of it, it's the first one I've ever rebuilt.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #19
71chevytruckguy

got the front sheet metal and cab off, stipped the cab out, painted backside of outer and inner fenders, put on headers and 4 spd saginaw with hurst shifter. waiting on another cab to fix the one i wrecked.

71 c-10 lwb, in the middle of frame off restoration.

69 c-10 swb, drag truck, 406 sbc, balanced, comp 292 cam, ported, polished, gasket matched, and bowl blended pro comp 210cc heads, 2.02/1.60 ferrea valves,1.6 roller rockers, re curved hei with msd 6al box, 2-step rev limter, accel 300+ wires, ported victor jr intake, holley 750 double pumper carb, dynomax 1 5/8 headers, 4 spd munci m-20 with super case and iron midplate, mr. gasket vertigate shifter, 5.38 pro gears with full spool, 33 spline moser axles and c-clip elimators, line-loc, 5 gal fuel cell, holley blue pump.
7.807 @ 88.37mph 1.60 60FT

80 g-20 van, tow rig, cammed 305, th350, 10 bolt

88 jeep wrangler, dd, 258, ax-15 swap, 4.5" lift, 33x12.50's, lockers, 3.55's
71chevytruckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #20
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I posted some pics for my buddy n2billet. During his Christmas break he is doing an "Extreme Makeover" hot rod style on his 68 that he recently bought. Take a look here for more pics and details-
link inside

If you are offended by air bags and billet you might want to move on to the next thread...

Attached Images

N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:34 PM   #21
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Measured, cut and shaped the '06 Denali body side molding for the truck. Took down all the Christmas stuff. Started putting contract language together for a project at work.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:01 PM   #22
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

Re: Weekend progress??? Pics!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botietruck
My truck is in the blocking and sanding stages...been on vacation all week and got the doors,hood & fenders lined up and primed & blocked & primed & blocked & primed & blocked & primed & blocked & primed & blocked and I'm tired! Tomorrow is another day off and I'll do some more. Pics later.
Today I installed the stepside bed. It's been 10 years since that bed has been on the frame. It sure feels good having it back on. Still have alot of blocking to do. Included a pic of the driprail. I used the 3M 8307 self leveling seam sealer. Also bead blasted, primed & painted the overslung air cleaner set up for my I-6.

Last edited by Botietruck; 01-02-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Botietruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:38 PM   #23
Alvin
Never Done?

I degreased my tranny x-member (need to paint it and my engine towers), ordered some ARP stuff (engine mount kit, header stud kit) from Summit. Also emailed fuelcellguy for a quote on a gas tank. I hope to be mocking up the engine/tranny by next week. Then I can buy brake lines, figure out where to run my airlines, etc. etc. The list is way too long!

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #24
DangerBoy

I picked up my new cowl induction hood from Early Classic but couldn't paint it or put it on because it was raining all weekend. So I sat around and drank some beer instead.
DangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #25
grayw0lf

This weekend I:

Pulled a few dents out of my 70 C-10, including a crease in the front of the hood.

Mowed / bagged the leaves in my front yard.

Pulled the 4.3 out of my new boat. (got a killer deal).

Tore the 4.3 apart to find 7 (yes, seven) spun bearings. (why I got the good deal... still not bad, $650 for a rather nice 1988 ski/sport boat w/ nice interior & a newly rebuilt foot.

Cleaned the garage.

Drank excessively & finished reading "Dracula."
05' Dodge Neon
88' Winner Escape Sport 1750 - 4.3v6
94' Seadoo SP
84' Honda TRX200, bare nekkid. Just a frame & tires.

Always looking for another project or any good deal!

grayw0lf is offline   Reply With Quote