The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2006, 11:31 PM   #1
myersjeremy

Carb vacuum hookups...problem??

I hooked the charcoal canister up to the main vacuum port on my Edelbrock carb. Once i hooked it up another line coming out of the canister makes an outrageous amount of suction. I checked the routing diagram and the hose that has all the suction is supposed to go to the bottom of the air cleaner. Since I am using an aftermarket air cleaner is there any way of hooking this hose up? If not what should I do with it? I notice an indention in the bottom of the air cleaner that looks as if you could mount a fitting so you could hook the line up. Am I correct? And if so where do I get this fitting?
Thanks for all the help you guys give out!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy
myersjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:33 AM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Re: Carb vacuum hookups...problem??

First, do you have a emissions Edelbrock? It comes with the canister port. I think you have the PCV port hooked to the canister which the reason you have the suction. A canister purge port only vents the vapors to the canister.

As for the air cleaner, yes, most aftermarket air cleaners will have a place you can knock out or built in where you can hook the breather hose coming from the passenger valve cover. The hose doing the suction (3/8" port on carb) goes to the PCV in the drivers side valve cover. The hose on the passenger side valve cover goes to the air cleaner. If you don't have an emissions legal carb that comes with a canister purge vent you won't have any way of hooking up the canister correctly.

Here is a pic of my Edelbrock Qjet. This is the way I used to have it hooked up when I needed to pass emissions (thank goodness that's over with). The hose right under the Edelbrock tag is the one going to the charcoal canister.
Attached Images

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
SSC's76
No No

Re: Carb vacuum hookups...problem??

If it's the Q-jet series it's exactly the same hookups as posted in the pic above. If it's the perfromer series theres only one that is supposed to have all the nessasary vacuum ports and it's the #1400 which Ive never seen in real life so I cant say for sure. All the other like 1405 1406 ect do not have provisions for emmission equiptment so you must by pass the canister or copy an early 70's setup onto it which uses the PCV inline with the canister. I had a good pic of that setup but I cant seem find it.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
RPOZ11
72 BB C30 Super LongHorn

Question Re: Carb vacuum hookups...problem??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC's76
If it's the Q-jet .....you must copy an early 70's setup onto it which uses the PCV inline with the canister. I had a good pic of that setup but I cant seem find it.
What year is "myersjeremy"'s truck's application?

For me, I need to ask: Can I run the vapor canister via the PCV route for a 1980 truck and pass emmissions?

I have a 1980 Q-Jet but it doesn't have that port up front under the Edelbrock tag...
Can someone advise the vacuum routing for each port from the carb to part used on the engine?
Is their a place I can find in print this information for my year?
Mine is a 350 in a 1980 Truck...
Thanx!

HO72 build :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714492

2017 SS

Last edited by RPOZ11; 03-12-2006 at 06:08 PM.
RPOZ11 is offline   Reply With Quote