The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
71 2wd blazer

steering column shaft loose Help !!!

I just put my tilt column in my 71 2wd blazer tonight and noticed that the shaft has play in it. Looks to me that it is moving around where it goes through the bearing. I starting tearing it apart and realized I don't know how to get the bearing out to order a new one. Would this be a bad bearing ? Or something else ? How do I get the bearing out ?
71 2wd blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:34 AM   #2
Bob Moore

Re: steering column shaft loose Help !!!

I assume you are talking about the lower bearing. Quite easy to remove. Unbolt and remove the intermediate shaft - rag joint and through bolt at firewall end. Now you will have access to the bearing. Remove the spring clip that holds the cup to the mast. Remove the cup. Use a flatblade screwdriver as a lever to pry out the plastic retainer with bearing attached. I am not sure if the bearing is available from GM but the plastic retaining block is used on Astro van columns(should be available).

If you are talking about the upper bearing that is more complicated. Need to pull the steering wheel, cancel cam, spring before you can access it. Tighten the nut to snug things up.

Good luck - Bob
more to follow
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:07 AM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking Re: steering column shaft loose Help !!!

The lower bearing that is at the end of the column where the extension connects is available. It is the same bearing as used on the non-tilts.

I am glad to know about the plastic housing availability!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
71 2wd blazer

It would be the upper bearing that I noticed it was loose. I guess i should have been more specific.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
JimKshortstep4x4

Although loose bearings are possible in the upper part of the tilt column it is very likely that the looseness is in the (4) mounting bolts that hold the tilt mechanism to the column.

The upper bearings consist of two bearings on the stub shaft. The lower bearing on the stub shaft is available. The upper bearing is available without the inner race. The inner race for the upper bearing does not appear to be available. The bearings are peloaded against each other with a self locking nut which could possible be loose but the first thing that I would check is the four 5/16" headed mechanism mounting bolts which are under the TS switch/tilt mechanism. It is a little complicated to get at as the column has to be dissassembled to get at them. The service manual has a pretty good section on the tilt columns.

Good luck!

Jim

Last edited by JimKshortstep4x4; 03-24-2006 at 07:59 PM.
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:33 PM   #6
Bob Moore

71 blazer - as a result of being old(64) and lazy I have learned that our public library has a complete set of shop manuals. They are for library use only(not checked out) so they are always available. A couple of xerox copies of the tilt service section will show you exactly how to tear down the column. The column can be dis-assembled in under 30 minutes without any expensive special tools. Great chance to fix it yourself and service it completely. A little rattle can paint in your favorite color and you're looking good.

Have fun - Bob
more to follow
Old 03-24-2006, 09:48 PM   #7
matthufham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKshortstep4x4
Although loose bearings are possible in the upper part of the tilt column it is very likely that the looseness is in the (4) mounting bolts that hold the tilt mechanism to the column.

The upper bearings consist of two bearings on the stub shaft. The lower bearing on the stub shaft is available. The upper bearing is available without the inner race. The inner race for the upper bearing does not appear to be available. The bearings are peloaded against each other with a self locking nut which could possible be loose but the first thing that I would check is the four 5/16" headed mechanism mounting bolts which are under the TS switch/tilt mechanism. It is a little complicated to get at as the column has to be dissassembled to get at them. The service manual has a pretty good section on the tilt columns.

Good luck!

Jim
last weekend i tore my tilt up to tighten those 4 bolts. the bolts won't do anything to fix slop in the steering shaft, but will tighten the upper part of the steering column.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:00 PM   #8
71 2wd blazer

I tried to tightem or loosen the lock nut tonight. It seems to be jammed. i will work on it some more tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:55 AM   #9
Bob Moore

See the post at 6:08 by 72armyswbtruck. Part way down the page is a blow up diagram showing the 4 screws. I believe they have a 5/16 head.
more to follow
Old 03-26-2006, 12:39 AM   #10
71 2wd blazer

I tore it apart today. I found outnthat the upper bearing is loose and the lock nut is screwed in all the way. There was no more adjustment left. I am going to replace the bearing and the thrust washer and all should be fine. Thanks for all your help.