The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
C10 Club Tennessee

Ignition Bezel, Ignition Switch,Electrical, 700r4, and Fuse box-I GOT PROBLEMS!!!!!

This is going to be long so bear with me.

I've been putting in my 700r4 and finally yesterday one of the guys from the tranny shop came over to help me with the TV system. So it's all ready to put fluid in and start up.

As some of you know my ignition switch mysteriously locked up on me and I had to drill it out. Since I destroyed everything but the dash getting it out I had to get all 3 new parts-Ignition switch, Ignition bezel, and the key cylinder. Hadn't really fixed it yet because of the tranny-It wasn't exactly going anywhere. Well, I ASSUME you have to find a way to get the bezel to STICK to the dash. At least that's the way the old one was on there. So I glued it on on Friday and today went out and screwed on the ignition switch and put in the key cylinder. Well, with a little pressure from the black igniton plug the bastard came right off the dash. I didn't care just get the damn thing started to test the 700r4.

Well, it was running for a little while and died. Tried to start it back up and it would just turn over. I think it was gas. So I put about a half a gallon that I had lying around in. Noticed one of the red wires on the ignition plug was coming out and shoved it back in. Somehow this damn thing won't turn over at all now. I have NO power to my fuse box or nothing. NO headlights, NO tail lights. Hell, the only thing I got is my Cheap LED light flashing.

Is there some type of relay or something that I don't know about that I blew?

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4

Last edited by 5150; 04-18-2006 at 03:56 PM.
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
ratrod67

Re: Ignition Bezel, Ignition Switch,Electrical, 700r4, and Fuse box-I GOT PROBLEMS!!!!!

No offense but with all of the electrical problems you've been having with your truck I would seriously consider getting some new harness. I'd hate to see it get burnt to the ground after all of your hard work. I just bought all new wiring for my 67 at the last swap meet. I got a used under dash harness that's perfect for $25 and brand new front light, engine and tail light harness from Kennys trucks. I spent about $225 for all. Small price to pay in my opinion. Hope you get it worked out.
ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
rauto13
saving one more

Re: Ignition Bezel, Ignition Switch,Electrical, 700r4, and Fuse box-I GOT PROBLEMS!!!!!

I hate electrical problems, so I feel your pain.... I always start at the source (the batter), make sure it is good, then check the power and grounds for the battery. Then start tracing wires from the hot side of the battery to where there is no power. It actually sounds like the fuse link going to the starter. It is a wire that is smaller in diameter than the rest of the wiring, and acts like a fuse. make sure you have power to the starter and then make sure you have power coming off the wires that come from the starter and go to the rest of the vehicle. I actually burned a fuse link and looked for a long time before I found the problem.

The fuse link on some vehicles looks like just a piece of wire and gives no indication that it is bad. If there was a power surge from pushing in the red wire, it may have blown the fuse link.

I hope you have a test light, as that has been my best friend since I got my truck. I have chased wiring issues all over the truck, but when I start with what I know is good and work on from there, then I can find the problem.

Hope this helps

and good luck with the 700R4, I love mine
driver - 96 GMC X-cab
rauto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
C10 Club Tennessee

Thanks I'll check the starter.

One thing I didn't mention and figured it might help in the diagnosis is that the key is turned to the ON position and I have no power to the dash or radio or anything that is hooked to come on when the key in in the ON position.

www.gmtruckshow.com

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
Old 04-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
C10 Club Tennessee

Battery tested and it's fine

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 04-18-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

There is no wire off the starter to powert up the whole truck... not if it is wired as original. That would be the small wire coming off the battery to that junction block (post) on the inner fender.
THAT is where I'd start, look and see if that post is hot or not.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
C10 Club Tennessee

Andy,

It's got power. Of course the wire is coming straight from the battery so it'd better.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 04-18-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
rauto13
saving one more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
There is no wire off the starter to powert up the whole truck... not if it is wired as original. That would be the small wire coming off the battery to that junction block (post) on the inner fender.
THAT is where I'd start, look and see if that post is hot or not.

now that you mention it, when I blew the fuse link, it didn't kill power to the whole truck, just some of it

Thanks for the clarification
driver - 96 GMC X-cab
rauto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:32 PM   #9
C10 Club Tennessee

Re: Ignition Bezel, Ignition Switch,Electrical, 700r4, and Fuse box-I GOT PROBLEMS!!!

Okay check this out.

I accidentally touched the pink wire there that has a break in it with the purple wire that some PO dumbass spliced. When I did this it tried to turn the truck over. I do have power at that pink wire. Wouldn't start the truck though.
Attached Images

www.gmtruckshow.com

Last edited by 5150; 04-18-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:59 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

yeah... you might wanna do something about that.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #11
C10 Club Tennessee

I will, just trying to get her running

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 04-18-2006, 09:12 PM   #12
ratrod67

Looks like your wiring was rigged possibly due to a bad ignition switch. According to the diagram in the link below the pink is your ignition wire and the purple goes to your starter. You might want to check and see if something melted when you installed your new ignition switch. Might have killed the module in the distributor or something.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=185665
ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #13
C10 Club Tennessee

I fixed it. I don't really want to admit what I did, but you guys that know me wouldn't be surprised. It's running now.

thanks

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 04-18-2006, 10:39 PM   #14
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

Congrats on getting it running. If you check my post on CGITC is that close to what you did. Are you going to drive it or haul it to Maggie Valley. I got the OK to go today and wasted no time getting a room reserved for the weekend. Hope to see you up there. Let me know if I can be any help.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #15
C10 Club Tennessee

I would really love to haul it, but don't have a trailer or anything to pull it with. Mostly, because me and Mandi will only have one car. I know my wife loves you guys but not as much as me. I don't think she's going to want to stand around Tim's all day like I will.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 04-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #16
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Re: Ignition Bezel, Ignition Switch,Electrical, 700r4, and Fuse box-I GOT PROBLEMS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69
I don't think she's going to want to stand around Tim's all day like I will.

The very reason I'm driving the F150, she plans on leaving me at the show,
and coming back just in time for us to eat somewhere that night, I'll be w/
out a ride basically most of the weekend, the reason I'm staying next door.
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:04 PM   #17
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8
The very reason I'm driving the F150, she plans on leaving me at the show,
and coming back just in time for us to eat somewhere that night, I'll be w/
out a ride basically most of the weekend, the reason I'm staying next door.
No problem I will have black truck at least and may take the 74 short and try to sell it if I get it ready in time. You won't be walking either way.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #18
C10 Club Tennessee

Same here, if you need a ride I can make Mandi walk. Especially, if you tempt me with the 2wd blazer.

???? I thought you were thinking about trailering one of the two? I figured with your blown motor it wouldn't be the 2wd.

Ron-Sent you a PM on that 74

www.gmtruckshow.com

Last edited by 5150; 04-20-2006 at 01:36 PM.