The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
Bowed

Brake Problem

This is a 1973 C20 that I picked up recently . The front discs apply but the rear drums free wheel with the brake pedal hitting the floor . I replaced the master cylinder and bled the entire system but it is still the same . I have not removed the rear drums ( full floater/ tough ) because I am now thinking that it's the combination valve . How should I trouble shoot at this point ? how do you test a combination valve . Thanks .

Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
Nolowrider

Re: Brake Problem

Are you sure its not the proportioning valve? Never heard of the combination valve. Not sure how to test it, maybe just take it off and clean her up. You said that you bled the brakes? Did fluid come out of the rear bleeder valves? If the pedal goes to the floor I would look at the master cylinder. Even if the proportioning valve was bad I don't think the pedal would go to the floor.
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
Bowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolowrider
Are you sure its not the proportioning valve? Never heard of the combination valve. Not sure how to test it, maybe just take it off and clean her up. You said that you bled the brakes? Did fluid come out of the rear bleeder valves? If the pedal goes to the floor I would look at the master cylinder. Even if the proportioning valve was bad I don't think the pedal would go to the floor.

There seems to be some confusion on what the valve is called . I myself have used porportioning valve but my repair books and some other people call it a combination valve. I believe the combination term is the one used most . Anyways like I posted above the master cylinder was replaced with a new one and yes it bleeds lots of fluid at the rear drums when I crack the fittings . I think you are right that if the valve was bad the pedal would not go to the floor every time , so I/m back to square one . Thanks .

Last edited by Bowed; 04-27-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
hotrodhomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowed
The front discs apply but the rear drums free wheel with the brake pedal hitting the floor .

How are you checking this? Do you have one side of the truck jacked up or are you taking the front brakes off? Because if you are takling them off then you will not build enough pressure to engauge the rear.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:29 AM   #5
Bowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhomi
How are you checking this? Do you have one side of the truck jacked up or are you taking the front brakes off? Because if you are takling them off then you will not build enough pressure to engauge the rear.

the truck is on jack stands with the wheels off and the brake system is fully assembled . With someone pumping the brakes the front calipers lock up the front rotors . The rear drums continue to free wheel with no resistance and the brake pedal will not build up and stays weak , no matter how much you pump it . Again the new master cylinder reacts same has the original one and fluid bleeds freely from all four corners . ?? ??. Thanks

Old 04-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
us111

i have seen a couple of people on here that ended up replacing the new master cylinder with another one,,dont know if thats your problem or not,but it has happened..
us111 is offline   Reply With Quote