The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2002, 08:49 PM   #1
XXL
Seņor Member

Throttle cable questions

I've currently got the pivot arm throttle... and while I'm smoothing this firewall, I'd like to weld up those obnoxiously large holes for the bracket and arm.

Anyone have any suggestions on a throttle cable assembly that will work? I've got a 250 1-bbl so need something that will work with that... and one day (waaaaay down the road) I'm planning an engine swap that'll make you either laugh or cry... so I'd like something that can be adapted later.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 08:55 PM   #2
Gordo

Smile

How about a 71-72 throttle cable, brackets and peddle assembly. You can swap cables for the V- 8 (shorter cable) when you choose to do so.
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 08:56 PM   #3
XXL
Seņor Member

How does it work? Mount? etc...

Thanks,

Kenneth
Old 10-06-2002, 09:20 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I spliced a pc of a 71 firewall to my 69 , to convert to cable . The area under the gas peddle is different(a flat spot on the 71-72 to mount the hanging peddle). The cable itself just has a square hole in the firewall to snap into.......maybe somebody has some pics........crazy longhorn
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 10:33 AM   #5
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy longhorn
I spliced a pc of a 71 firewall to my 69 , to convert to cable . The area under the gas peddle is different(a flat spot on the 71-72 to mount the hanging peddle). The cable itself just has a square hole in the firewall to snap into.......maybe somebody has some pics........crazy longhorn
Do you happen to have any 'how to' pics of your swap? Or at least a pic of the 'after' so I can get an idea if it is what I'm after, and what I can handle?

Thanks,

Kenneth
Old 10-07-2002, 10:59 AM   #6
crazy longhorn

Sorry XXL, I sure dont have any how to pics & the 383 sits tight to the firewall on the 6/250 stands.....you wouldnt be able to see it. It basically involved welding a pc of a 71 firewall into place......then has been modified since for head clearance on a 455 olds that was also run in the old longhorn! the best pic would be a shot with eng out, to see the difference from 70 to 71. crazy AL
Old 10-07-2002, 02:57 PM   #7
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Lokar makes a really nice-looking pedal assembly that uses a cable. The pedal mounts to the floor. If you get one of these and install it, you'll not need any other. It's just money for your truck. One way or another, we will find a way to spend money on them whether the wife likes it, or not. Go figure.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 06:43 PM   #8
crazy longhorn

And the wifey never likes it when we spend money! Oh well, sh$t happens!
Old 10-08-2002, 06:41 PM   #9
Low68

I did the lokar pedal and cable. It looks a lot better than the stock thing. For the pedal, you have to drill two holes, and the bolts go in from the outside(two person job). It is nice, because you have room for adjusting the pedal because it is not as big as the original one. The cable requires one hole just like the original cables on the 71&72's. This cable looks a lot better because you drill a hole and insert the end of the housing in through the firewall and then put a nut on the other side. After you tighten it down, there is not chance of it coming out. It is a really sweet setup. I would take a picture, but my truck is a ways away. My truck and I are currently seperated. I hope this helps. I have attached a picture of the pedal (the only picture that I have). I will take some more later when I get my truck back.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2002, 08:45 PM   #10
XXL
Seņor Member

Thanks Low68! So you have the Lokar piece that hangs from above?

Like this...?

And the cable is like this?

Or is it a different setup?

Thanks,

Kenneth
Old 10-09-2002, 11:59 PM   #11
Low68

My pedal hangs down from the top. I like it a lot. It is smoother than my old one. I bought the ss springs and kickdown cable and bracket that mounts on the carb. I am happy with them. Here are some pics from their web site(www.lokar.com)

http://www.lokar.com/thottle_assemblies.html
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2002, 12:00 AM   #12
Low68

the cable. You can see the ends and how they go throught the hole you drill. hope this stuff helps.
Attached Images