The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2006, 11:27 AM   #1
jdmaffeo

Steering Column

I swapped out my manual column that had non-tilt, non-intermitent wiper, non-cruise for a manual column with tilt, intermitent wipers, and cruise in my 84 stepside. Everything went together great but now it won't start and the horn doesn't work. I do get all dash lights and gauges reset when I turn the key. Everything with the turn singal stalk works turn signals, high beams, and wipers (not sure about the cruise as I don't have it yet). Any suggestions from anyone that could help me figure out this issue would be great! The only difference between the columns was the module that was mounted on the top side of the column that the harness plugged into. The column that I took out had a blue one, the tilt column had a black one and the harnesses plugged in upside down. I tried to swap the module, but the rod wouldn't line up as the modules are a little different. I'll try to post some pictures later as I didn't have my camera last night. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:35 AM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Steering Column

Are you sure that your ignition switch is adjusted prroperly? The block that sets on the column (under the dash) is adjustable (two screws) and the movement of this will allow for the rod to move the slide inside the switch assembly to the proper point where the right contacts are made up. this will allow for starting and accessories to align and work.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
Nolowrider

The ignition switchs on the two columbs are different. You need to get one for the tilt. I know I just did the swap.
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
jdmaffeo

I bet that it is the adjustment. I will try to look it over tomorrow. I do have the switch that came with the tilt column on it. The only other thing would be the horn issue, any ideas? I have the spring and the spring cap and everything that came off of the non-tilt column installed in the tilt column. Is there a difference?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Take a look at the two switches. I am betting that they are the same. The difference in color could be a dozen reasons---most of which no two parts come from the same supplier at any time during construction of a line of vehicles. I took a black switch off of my tilt column and replaced it with a Delco switch and it was blue. What I would look for is that the same wiring numbers are in each switch and that the wires are placed in the same "PIN" locations. That way you will know if there is a difference in the switches. The wire colors should be the same or very close to each other. GM was amazing at that part of the deal, they managed to keep wire codes the same in vehicle lines. As for your horn, I believe that the parts for the top are the same, you will have to try it. It should be obvious that the tops look the same.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
jdmaffeo

Thanks for all of the replies! It was only an adjustment of the switch on top of the column. It is alive again! The horn also works, I just cleaned all of the contacts.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #7
Nolowrider

Sorry about giving out bad advice. I just swapped columbs (non tilt to tilt) and I had to get the right year switch for a tilt. Apparently Chevy changed the connectors.
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote