The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
rchdrm
The start of the $ pit!

Bonding Metal

I am having an issue welding my rocker panels in and was wondering if anyone has tried to bond them in with some type of epoxy?
rchdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:15 AM   #2
BrianJordan
Iron Thunder

Re: Bonding Metal

welding is the only way to in my opinion,the cab/fraim will flex as you drive down the road,and as it flexes any adesive will crack and break.
just my 2 cents.
BrianJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchdrm
I am having an issue welding my rocker panels in and was wondering if anyone has tried to bond them in with some type of epoxy?
When welding anything:
Step 1: Identify the metal. Know what the metal is and use the proper rod/wire.
Step 2: Clean IT! If you try to weld metal with paint or rust on it all you're going to do is contaminate the weld puddle and make a big mess.

I'm guessing you're trying to weld paint or rust.

Cut all the rust off. Grind all the paint off. Then you should be good to go.

Some folks will swap step 2 for 1 claiming you can't identify it without cleaning it first. Either way you have to do #1 and #2 before you apply the heat.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
Aarons72s

Hi,
I rivit my rocker panels in. I just drill holes in about the same place as the original spot welds were. I then cover all the joints with seam sealer or some other adhessive and rivit them on with 1/8" rivits. Seems real sturdy to me. I also bed liner the inner and backing plates. I pretty much make it where no water can get in and rust it out. And if it does all you have to do is drill out the rivits. Hopre this helps. Good luck.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:09 AM   #5
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchdrm
BONDING PANELS IS A GREAT WAY TO DO IT IF IT IS DESIGNED FOR IT. i WORKED AT DOW CHEMICAL WE MAKE ALOT OF THE ADHESIVES. i WORKED IN THE EPOXY UNIT. I WOULD WELD THEM IN PERSONALLY. I HAVE GLUED DOOR PANELS ON 60 - 87 TRUCKS BUT THE ROCKERS I HAVE NEVER TRIED. THE FIT OF THE PANELS IS NOT THAT GOOD. I EXPERIMENT WITH EPOXY BUT LET ME KNOW IF YOU GLUE THEM ON AND IF IT WORKS. WE CAN ALL LEARN FROM IT. NOW YOU HAVE ME WANTING TO TRY.
MIKE
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:22 AM   #6
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJordan
welding is the only way to in my opinion,the cab/fraim will flex as you drive down the road,and as it flexes any adesive will crack and break.
just my 2 cents.
YES BUT THEIR ARE ONLY ABOUT 300 OR SO DIFFERENT EPOXY PRODUCTS i PREFER WELDING TO BUT THEY COME OUT WITH NEW PRODUCTS ALL THE TIME. I WORKED AT DOW AND THEY MAKE ALL KINDS OF EPOXIES FOR JUST ABOUT EVERY SITUATION. ITS A COMPICATED THING TO SEE WHAT WORKS THE BEST. PLUS ITS EXPENSIVE TO TRY THEM ALL. WE CAN DO ALOT OF RESEARCH IF YOU WANT. NOT ALL ADHESIVES WILL CRACK. MOST OF ALL DOW AUTOMOTIVE IPRODUCTS ARE FOR NEW VEHICLES. I THINK WE CAN FIND SOME THAT WE CAN USE IN RESTORATION. EVEN THOUGH ITS NOT A TRUE RESTORATION.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote