The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
RSRXION

Lightbulb Parts dealers and pricing

Gentlemen, I have obtained catalogs from many of the larger dealers around the country and I have spent a great deal of time comparing prices between 7 of them. It seems like LMC and Classic ( formerly Chevy Duty ) are typically the least expensive. I compared approximately 75 items and as a rule these two dealers were more competitive than the other 5 in about 95% of my comparisons. Often LMC and Classic have the same prices to the penny but Classic offers free shipping on orders over 300.00. Has anyone else found such a dramatic pricing difference when comparison shopping ?

Lastly, I have acquired the rights to about 20-30 parts trucks. These trucks are currently in an old salvage yard nearby that is being liquidated to build a new housing addition. Many of them are currently covered up by weeds and blackberry thickets so I can't begin to tell you what shape they're in or how much is left. In many cases you can't see enough of them to tell what year they are or even Chevy or GMC . I can tell by the roof line but that's about it ! The owner has agreed to let me check them over good before the crusher gets them this winter. The current price of steel makes crushing them a very lucrative proposal. I wouldn't get my hopes up for tachs and tilts but I did find a very nice core support for my hauler the other day. I'll keep you posted as the fall and winter kills off the foliage.

By the way, the 454 and TH400 have found their way into the hauler and I hope to hear it run this weekend. Cross everything you've got and wish me luck !

Dean

Last edited by RSRXION; 07-27-2006 at 03:38 PM.
RSRXION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Re: Parts dealers and pricing

Very informative...I hear LMC has a bad reputation...Do try and score the part trucks, we need parts to keep em goin
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
dallas71

if you run into a p/s gear box and p/s pump let me know (for a 71/72) Thanks
dallas71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
shifty
Questionable

LMC has an immensely bad reputation for both sending incorrect parts, sending inferior quality parts and the worst customer service ever known to man. their parts catalogs are great reference material, though.

there is a "Reviews" forum just under the General Discussion forum in the forums list. there are tons of reviews on different companies, LMC has several negative threads in there, as opposed to most other companies that have very positive reviews.

cheaper isn't always better when you look at time lost getting the wrong part, time spent trying to get customer service to fix the problem (i hate waiting on the phone with incompetent people), and potentially lost $$$ due to overpriced shipping and/or return shipping for someone else's mistake.

LMC will never get my business based on reviews from others. i've only seen 1 in 5 people here have a good experience with them. would you buy from someone on eBay with 20% feedback? pffft, i wouldn't - i'd run like hell

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I go to the biggest swap meet I can (around here that's Charlotte) and buy all the stuff I need. You save off the catalog price AND NO SHIPPING on anything!!!!! It's a lot of work, but based on shipping and all the parts I bought at charlotte a few months ago, I probably saved about $500. I spent about $1,200. (most of the $500 would have been shipping on large items!)
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
RSRXION

Thanks for the quick responses ! I agree that going to the swap meets is the best avenue and I do that when I can. I've got 3 dealers in my area for these parts and I can also go to them when I need parts. I must admit though that I was very surprised to find such dramatic differences in pricing.

I was unaware that LMC had such a bad reputation. I'll certainly keep that in mind.

With respect to ebay... I agree about the feedback issue. I'm an ebay power seller and positive feedback is very precious indeed. I take every effort to keep mine all positive. I sell mostly Ford parts since Fords are my area of expertise. I've got more blue ovals than bowties but I declare no allegiance to any brand AS LONG AS IT'S DOMESTIC !

About the power steering pump... A friend of mine has one for a small block. I think it's a good piece but I've never tried it. It does have the bracket on it and the lines are there but show their years. Have you considered using a 73-87 style box ? I used one years ago on a 67. As I recall I had to shim one or two of the bolts but it was no big deal. It worked very well as I recall.

Thanks, Dean
Old 07-27-2006, 06:09 PM   #7
jay6891
Car Knocker

Hey there fellow Arkansan. Where are you located? Always looking for parts. Love to see what kind of treasures you have your hands on. I'm 20 miles south of Little Rock.
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:19 PM   #8
RSRXION

Just a little north of Ft. Smith Arkansas. With respect to what treasures I have my hands on ... I don't yet. There are just too many briars and thickets to get to them to see what's in there. I'll post a pic or two in the near future to give you an idea. Thanks, Dean
Old 08-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #9
gmtruckfan

I called CPP last month on a front chrome bumper for my 72 pickup and they referred me to a Company called Classic Parts Depot. I called them up and asked them a few ? one of them was how much is the bumper, they told me $119.00 (Brothers $164.95) in chrome and its backed with a 2 year warranty. Well i just had to to drive to there location to check them out, the place, pick up a catalog and a Bumper. Thanks to CPP for turning me on to a new source! Check them out at classicpartsdepot.com
gmtruckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #10
Sweet72

I bought some patch panels from LMC 5 years ago and was very disappointed with the quality and packing method since they were bent and dented when I received them. I sent them back and haven't ordered from them since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSRXION
I declare no allegiance to any brand AS LONG AS IT'S DOMESTIC !

I couldn't agree more with this statement! Spoken like a true American!
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:55 AM   #11
Jonce

I wish I would've read this 10 days ago before I placed a $2200 order. So far so good with LMC. I will be unpacking my parts within the next couple of days.

The catalog is a great reference manual - used it several times.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:43 AM   #12
bryanw1968

I've heard good and bad about LMC. I have ordered some stuff from them but have been lucky I guess?

I have also ordered from Early Classic and really like them a lot.

If I had access to 20-30 parts trucks I would be in heaven.
You'll probably be able to build several trucks out of them
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:10 PM   #13
67chevy2wd

I would be haulin them all home, I couldn't let them see the crusher.
'71 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4
‘71 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd suburban
67chevy2wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:13 PM   #14
RSRXION

I'll save evrything worth saving guys. I guarantee you that I don't want to see them crushed either. I'm reday for winter to get here so I can get in there. I may have to let the frames go because I don't have any place to store that many trucks. I'll keep you posted. Dean
Old 08-02-2006, 10:47 PM   #15
weasle

I ordered some cab corners from LMC and the passenger side was not made too well. I called them up and they sent me another one. The one that they sent was just as bad. They sent Fedex to pick both of them up and they refunded my money. My experience with their customer service was good but I would have preferred good cab corners.
weasle is offline   Reply With Quote