The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #26
aggiedave98

Re: how reliable are your trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyguy
Well for instance when I noticed the tranny slipping I had it replaced, replaced the carb when it begain to have a slight starting/flooding issue. Basicly as soon as I can I investigate anything that dosen't seem "normal". I try to routinely check fluids, plugs, voltage, ect. Now I'm getting ready to change the U-joints because they're starting to clunk. My truck has its original 305 with 170,000 so it dosen't get driven "hard" because there's really little to be gained by doing so. I just let her take her time getting up to speed when I hop on the interstate. I'm sure I've wasted money on parts that still had some life left, but that's preventive maintenance for ya!

Ok, this is a GREAT example!! Cheyguy, what does the clunk sound like?? I have a clunk when I come to a stop of after a stop and when I'm going to accelerate. It seems more likely to happen when I come to a hard stop or if my rear brakes are out of adjustment and my front brakes are stopping me more. I thought it was the engine mounts (since they were going out) but replacing them didn't help. I have been wanting to do the ujoints but with all the other stuff I've had to do to it lately, I haven't gotten a chance. Is that most likely the ujoints??
aggiedave98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:43 PM   #27
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiedave98
Hopefully you don't have my problem....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=205923
Nah, it runs fine, the engine just stalls when under a load. I haven't had time to investigate it yet since I don't drive it but once every blue moon... I think it my be a vacuum leak or maybe the TPS. Just guessing right now...
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:22 PM   #28
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

never a big problem here.

There should be a 2 in front of that. we're the third owner and over 180,000 miles on the odometer are from towing. This truck has seen both coasts and been from the US/mexico border to the US/canada border.

Aint had a thing break yet to cause a multi-day repair. I think the steering column was the longest the truck had sat for repair- 7 days while we searched for one.

however.....there is a repair list

master cylinder
pinion seal
fuel lines (both sets)
steering column
alternator (4+)
A/C (still dont work...ducting and controls problem)
radio (it had the stock one till it went out in 98)
radiator

i think thats it other than the basics
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:01 PM   #29
Jim85IROC

I've had a lot of little things go wrong with the truck, but I attribute a lot of them to age and the fact that the previous owner was a hack. Once I got through that one string of issues, things seem to have been ok.

But, I've got a 454/th400/np205/d60/14 bolt drivetrain, so the truck is basically built like a tank. Problems I've had have been related to the power steering pump (bolts hand tight... obviously the previous owner screwed with it), u-joints, front drive shaft, and exhaust leaks.

I still have the exhaust left to fix (again), and the $30 power steering pump I put on seems to strain all the time, but otherwise the truck seems to run and drive beautifully considering it's going to be 20 years old next year. My next round of upgrades will be aimed at rust repair in the bed & body.
My Sounddomain Page
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote