The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2006, 12:17 AM   #1
Sammy

ignition switch bezel removal?

I have removed them from my 69..You just stick the key in..push in the little hole in the right hand corner & turn the key to the ACC side...correct?

Now what if when you stick the key in and push the button in & it doesn't go to the left to the ACC side?

Now add the factor...no key..insert a screwdriver push the pin in and it goes to start but not to the ACC or left side??? ('70)

Now how do I remedy these two problems? What am I doing wrong? Should I force the switch to the left it seems pretty stubborn???

Seems the bezel itself will not unscrew unless you destroy the tumbler assy.. I know one of you have encountered this before. Tips?

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
No3Fan4Ever
Running on empty

Re: ignition switch bezel removal?

Insert the key in the ignition and turn to the left 'Accessories' position THEN push the pin in using a paper clip or small allen wrench all the while keeping some 'pull' pressure on the ignition assembly and it should come out;
if you don't have a key, according some threads, you can insert a small screwdriver into the ignition and gently pry the aluminum cap or cover of the lock assembly off and the cylinder should be able to removed ;
hope that helps

We have two rules here at the Rock.
Rule #1: No writing on the walls.
Rule#2: Obey all rules

70 GMC Sierra Grande "Custom Camper" Longhorn 402 Big Block TH400 PS PB factory AC Posi;
94 Bronco XLT 302, auto;worn out daily driver

No3Fan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
ED67C20

My truck switch doesn't turn left to accessory. Factory radio delete. How do I make it have accessory? Now I have to have ignition on for aftermarket stereo tunes.
ED67C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 AM   #4
Sammy

Not sure about your question ED67C20. But the truck with the no key..After the advice I received,, I removed the little cover from the Ignition unit & after inserting a small nail (& screwdriver)I wiggled it several times it went to the left & fell out. The other cab the one with a key..Fiddled with it for several minutes..never got that one to do anything..acts like it doesn't want to go left. I think it is screwed up & I may have to pull the cover and destroy the switch to get it out..

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED67C20 View Post
My truck switch doesn't turn left to accessory. Factory radio delete. How do I make it have accessory? Now I have to have ignition on for aftermarket stereo tunes.
Just run the wire to the fuse box either to the "radio" or the "ing unfused" just be sure to put an inline fuse.
Attached Images

sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote