The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2006, 12:17 AM   #1
edmonton72
Nothings as cool as my 72

Painless Wiring Questions

I have a few questions about the 18 circut wiring harness for the 67-72 trucks. Is the steering column plug for stock or after market columns. How long is the harness going back to the rear of the chassis. Will it be long enough for a long box and is the plug for attaching trailer lights. Is it for internal or external regulated alternators. thanx for the help.
Rolling chassis finally done and cab mounted. Now onto sanding, bondo and more sanding.
edmonton72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:35 AM   #2
HD2000

Re: Painless Wiring Questions

I have mine about 3/4 done so I am not an expert - but a few answers:
- The steering column comes with no plug "housing". It is pre-terminated with the correct connectors and you are meant to pop the wires out of the old housing and reuse it. The pins just slide back in and lock. I'v eheard some other people mention that theirs came with the entire plug assembly but mine didn't (I ordered my kit from Summitt in August)
- The rear harness looks like it would have sufficient length for a long box (I haven't done that part of it yet). But the rear harness is basically 5 long wires that run to teh back of the truck. You need to fabricate a new rear harness or splice into the old rear section.
- As for the alternator. I believe that it is flexible enough to work for newer internally regulated alternator or the old style external regulator. I've got mine wired up for a newer style alternator (80's style on the passenger side).
I believe that you can download the instructions from Painless (and Summitt I think) that may give a better idea of what you have to work with. Any other questions - I could go out to the garage and have a look.
HD2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:05 AM   #3
nandress

Re: Painless Wiring Questions

1) Column harness as HD2000 describes. Will not work as well with an aftermarket column, but there are always ways around. I cut mine off and used a simple AMPHENOL modular plug on both ends to not have to worry about compatibilty with original style plugs (and didn't need to use a WeatherPack under the dash, especially since 8 or 9 pin WeatherPacks are hard to come by).

2) Tail harness is definately long enough. It does not have the crossmember plug, so you will have to do a direct wire to each light (it is designed to do that, and you will find a number of splices along the way). I did without the "to the rear" parts and subsituted American Autowire re-pops (available from LMC and others, possibly your local speed shop) for the frame harness and the taillight harness. It has the like stock crossmember plugs, and no splices. Also correct plugs for the tail light housings. At the fuse block, I removed the wires for the taillights from the Painless and terminated the American Autowire wires in their place using Packard 56 terminals--VERY simple!

3) Kit includes a high amp alternator kit, which is designed for modern internally regulated, one wire alternators. Also very simple!

Last edited by nandress; 12-06-2006 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Missing Not
nandress is offline   Reply With Quote