The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2006, 03:57 AM   #1
RamThis

Hello, member trying to get some motivation....56K beware (pics)

Hello all. I've been lurking for a while and I enjoy looking at the trucks you guys are building. I currently run two newer Ram pickups, a highly modified 96 Ram with a 500+ HP 360 Magnum, and a mostly stock 2000 Ram with a stock 360. Both super fun trucks. But the hard reality is, Mopar is a rich man's brand. I am anything BUT rich, way toward the other end of the scale actually LOL.

The buildup of the 96 Ram broke me completely, along with losing alot of my old income (layoffs and such) I was about $8500 into my engine and I am left with a truck that has great potential, um, If I only had about another 4 grand or so to spend on a standalone computer, trans, and some traction aids. Truck's been stored for a couple years now as I cannot pump any more money into it.

Here's the thing, I have a 68 stepside swb c/10 that I've had since high school. Truck is totally torn down, I mean totally. Body is in good condition, frame is straight, just needs the basics, front bed wall, tailgate, wood kit, maybe two minor dings on the rest of the body fixed, and an interior. I know Chevy parts are SOOO much cheaper than Mopar. I do all my own body and mechanical work, every bit. I'm thinking of selling the 96 Ram for around 10K to someone wanting a nearly finished project they can dump a bit more money and time into and have the truck like it was meant to be. And me take the money from the sale, and restore my 68.

If I could get 10K for my Ram, how nice of a build could I expect on my 68 considering myself as doing all the mechanical work, body work, etc, and all I'd have to do is buy parts and have some machine work?

I'm thinking.....

350 fuel injected engine (Accel)

Lowered 4-6 on 18's

Shaved handles, drip rails, emblems, etc.

Bucket seats and decent stereo system (Alpine HU, couple 10" subs behind the seats, etc)

Relocated fuel tank in frame.

Already has a 72 front suspension clip on it for disc brakes

What do you guys think?? Any opinions welcome!!

Sorry for the long post lol.

Last edited by RamThis; 12-14-2006 at 02:26 AM. Reason: 56K warning in title.....
RamThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:33 AM   #2
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Re: Hello, member trying to get some motivation....

Seems to me the hard part is done and what you have is a big model to build. 10 grand is a nice chunk to put in it and will do alot depending on how far and what direction you want to go with it. Good luck in your decision.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:50 AM   #3
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

I'd say dump the dodge and get the Chevy on the road...

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:26 AM   #4
bowtiehotrodder
SIX BANGER

on wanting to get the chevy on the road and dump the dodge
1976 chevy dually 454
1969 chevy truck six shooter
bowtiehotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:31 AM   #5
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

Welcome to the board from a fellow texan. I would sell the dodge and start having some real fun with the chevy
Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3483616
jsbgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

I also agree that you would be better of spending the $ on the Chevy. It will be worth more in the end anyway and you'll have alot more fun with an older truck.

That being said - is the Dodge running? you might be hard pressed to get 10K for a "project" '96

How about some pictures of the Ram and the Chevy
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

No matter what your going to be better off investing time and money in to the old Chevy. I'm not ragging on Dodge, but you already know that they are not as popular as old Chevies. Even if you don't sell your Dodge, get going on that 68.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
whatnow123

I'm new to the board as well. Welcome! But I happen to agree with everyone else as I just bought a 67 project. IMO, I'm not sure what the future holds for these trucks as far as appreciation, but if you do the running gear right (which it sounds like you are planning to) and don't head too far north of 10K or so, minus your time, it's basically a tangible non-interest bank account that you can enjoy and if needed, get your money back out.
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #9
49studebaker

Ramjet 350, Hughes performance 700r4 transmission, dropped spindles, lowered rear springs, and a fuel cell. I'm already into mine for about $9000, that's doing the work myself. I say go for it, but look at spending more than $10,000. I can tell by your current projects, you won't want to settle for anything "basic". JMO
49studebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:47 PM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The nice thing about the Chevy other than the fact it is a Chevy is that you can have a decent truck to drive and over time build it nicer and nicer.The drivetrain and mechanicals will be cheaper than Mopar and you can add big ticket items later.For instance install a stereo(DO NOT CUT THE DASH) to drive with and update later.Use the 15 in wheels and go up to the 18's later.These trucks have class whether it's a work truck or a show stopper.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #11
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

No matter what you do, I'd be willing to bet the 68 gets better fuel mileage than the '96...

Sorry, couldn't resist

Good luck with the sale of the '96. I drive my 67 almost everyday. I got a "thumbs up" from two people today
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:16 PM   #12
kyull67

Definetly get rid of the dodge. Old trucks are way cooler and more fun to build.
kyull67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:34 PM   #13
krue
Designated A-hole!

The Chevy is gonna be the better way to go. Will $10k be enough? For me it would, but it all depends on what you want.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:23 AM   #14
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

you can come in under 10 grand easily if you try.
There's no need for a high dollar crate engine... you can get a rebuilt long block for 1000 bucks anywhere, or you could do it yourself for about the same. Toss a few parts on top and you have a solid reliable motor. (cam swap and ho-po parts are a good idea IMO, but they just up the initial cost....a nice intake, carb and small cam are great non a stock rebuild without taking anything away from the dependability) Tranny.. if you go with a normal TH350, you can still get fresh units done for a few hundred, you just need to look around and talk to the local hot rodders, they know where the deals are. Doing up the inside of the cab can be done cheap too, keep an eye open for deals,a nd look in the junk yards and e=-bay for stuff. Cut the dash if you want, and don't let anyone pull you in one way or another... it's your dash.
Doing it all yourself will cut the cost in 1/2 if you are carefull. The paiont and body will cost more than any one thing... you probably know this. Being in Tx, you should be able to locate decent sheetmetalSHEETMETAL somwhat easily. Run it in primer for a while if you have to while the almost perfect $20 panels show up one at a time...they are out there, trust me, it just takes time.
IMO, for someone doing the labot themselves, if they are real carefull and take there time, 10k will build a pretty dam nice truck.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:33 AM   #15
bryanw1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamThis View Post
Hello all. I've been lurking for a while and I enjoy looking at the trucks you guys are building. I currently run two newer Ram pickups, a highly modified 96 Ram with a 500+ HP 360 Magnum, and a mostly stock 2000 Ram with a stock 360. Both super fun trucks. But the hard reality is, Mopar is a rich man's brand. I am anything BUT rich, way toward the other end of the scale actually LOL.

The buildup of the 96 Ram broke me completely, along with losing alot of my old income (layoffs and such) I was about $8500 into my engine and I am left with a truck that has great potential, um, If I only had about another 4 grand or so to spend on a standalone computer, trans, and some traction aids. Truck's been stored for a couple years now as I cannot pump any more money into it.

Here's the thing, I have a 68 stepside swb c/10 that I've had since high school. Truck is totally torn down, I mean totally. Body is in good condition, frame is straight, just needs the basics, front bed wall, tailgate, wood kit, maybe two minor dings on the rest of the body fixed, and an interior. I know Chevy parts are SOOO much cheaper than Mopar. I do all my own body and mechanical work, every bit. I'm thinking of selling the 96 Ram for around 10K to someone wanting a nearly finished project they can dump a bit more money and time into and have the truck like it was meant to be. And me take the money from the sale, and restore my 68.

If I could get 10K for my Ram, how nice of a build could I expect on my 68 considering myself as doing all the mechanical work, body work, etc, and all I'd have to do is buy parts and have some machine work?

I'm thinking.....

350 fuel injected engine (Accel)

Lowered 4-6 on 18's

Shaved handles, drip rails, emblems, etc.

Bucket seats and decent stereo system (Alpine HU, couple 10" subs behind the seats, etc)

Relocated fuel tank in frame.

Already has a 72 front suspension clip on it for disc brakes

What do you guys think?? Any opinions welcome!!

Sorry for the long post lol.

Welcome from Round Rock TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Build the chevy. You'll never regret it!!
You're right. Parts are cheap and interchangable new and old and much easier to work on. This site will help you stay motivated and informed on what to do.

Good luck,
B-dub
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:09 AM   #16
RamThis

Wow thanks guys for the responses so far!

Well let's see, to answer some of the questions....

The 96 Does run. It's meaner than hell sounding, being a 12.3:1 CR engine with a fat cam, ported heads, M-1 Intake, headers, Thrush header mufflers dumped under the cab, custom flashed PCM, etc etc. Problem is, a stock PCM can only be flashed to go so far as far as fuel tables and such are concerned, beyond that, you get outside the tuning envelope available. That's why it's GOING to REQUIRE a FAST XFI or Accel DFI system to run the engine off of, and both will run about 2 grand, plus the dyno tuning. It runs respectable though as it sets, just NOWHERE near it's potential, which should be mind boggling power at over 500HP on pump gas.

I dont plan to buy a "crate engine" but rather find a clean 350 and build it up myself, utilizing an aftermarket SMPFI system like the Accel setup. I am a hot rodder of the modern era mechanically, but love the older stuff. I HATE vacuum lines LOL. I LOVE fuel injected computer controlled systems. So I figured EFI a hot 350 and away we go. No fuss no muss, just tune it, and forget it.

Gas mileage is definitely a non issue with a truck. It's a toy truck, not a DD, so I'm not worried about mileage, as long as it's not too ungodly. My 96 gets about 8 MPG on premium fuel only now. A basic 454 will do about the same. I'd imagine a 400-500 HP 350 with SMPFI properly tuned might see 12 with overdrive on the interstate. Could be way off though.

And Pics, umm, lemme dig up some links for you guys, gimme a half hour or so lol. I got pics and videos everywhere of my Rams, but cant remember if I have them still up on the site of my 68.

Oh and just to make you guys drool a bit, I also have a 68 Dodge Charger R/T stored. It's totally stripped down too awaiting me to get the money to have it media blasted so I can do some body work on it. I know I'm sitting on a frigging gold mine with that car. 440 Six Pack and Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter on a 4 speed tranny, can you say "obtain wood"????

I better come into some major cash somehow LOL.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:20 AM   #17
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:35 AM   #18
72armyswbtruck

You should know about building on the cheap, your always looking out for the good deals and from what I have seen you work on your truck a little at a time. Daily driver until you get all the right parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
you can come in under 10 grand easily if you try.
There's no need for a high dollar crate engine... you can get a rebuilt long block for 1000 bucks anywhere, or you could do it yourself for about the same. Toss a few parts on top and you have a solid reliable motor. (cam swap and ho-po parts are a good idea IMO, but they just up the initial cost....a nice intake, carb and small cam are great non a stock rebuild without taking anything away from the dependability) Tranny.. if you go with a normal TH350, you can still get fresh units done for a few hundred, you just need to look around and talk to the local hot rodders, they know where the deals are. Doing up the inside of the cab can be done cheap too, keep an eye open for deals,a nd look in the junk yards and e=-bay for stuff. Cut the dash if you want, and don't let anyone pull you in one way or another... it's your dash.
Doing it all yourself will cut the cost in 1/2 if you are carefull. The paiont and body will cost more than any one thing... you probably know this. Being in Tx, you should be able to locate decent sheetmetalSHEETMETAL somwhat easily. Run it in primer for a while if you have to while the almost perfect $20 panels show up one at a time...they are out there, trust me, it just takes time.
IMO, for someone doing the labot themselves, if they are real carefull and take there time, 10k will build a pretty dam nice truck.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:41 AM   #19
Longhorn Man

saddly enough, it's a way of life for me.
However, even if I had the buckets of money, I like to THINK I'd still follow my current ways of keeping it low buck.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:15 AM   #20
RamThis

Ok here is the open header idle of my Ram. MMM fat cam and high compression......

Lumpety Cam

Couple quick burnout clips of the Ram.....

Burnouts

My Mix Video of the Ram.....

Mix Vid

Burnout (still had stock 360 at this point, with 4.10 gears and Detroit Locker)

My 2000 Ram (just a shameless picwhoring lol)

The 68 Charger R/T

Old 12-14-2006, 02:16 AM   #21
RamThis

And the prize of the day, the 68 Stepside, in pieces!! Earlier this summer I got the chassis, bed, and cab out of the grass, and set the cab and bed on the chassis. the rest of the truck's body and other pieces are all stored in a covered shed. Amazingly most all rust is just a fine surface rust, no rot in the body anywhere except the front wall of the bed and the tailgate. Had a 283 V8 with Edelbrock intake, Quadrajet carb, and 350 heads with Hooker headers and duals.

Whaddya Think????
Old 12-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #22
Longhorn Man

while the dodge may be bad ass, there's 2 problems with it;
1. It needs a tranny. Maybe not today.... but it will...and soon.
2. in a newer vehicle, you get in it, and you have lost your identity. youy get seen by everyone in a sharp classic, but a modern vehicls just blends in with the sea of look alike me too cars and trucks
Old 12-14-2006, 12:32 PM   #23
49studebaker

The diversity on this forum amazes me. That's what makes it so good though. Someone should start a thread on why we build what we do and what we expect out of them. I can tell by Rams previous projects his engine alone will be $5000+, hell, the fuel injection he'll be using is half that. He will need a built transmission to stand up to the torque and hp. Ram wants to wake up the streets, not a daily driver. I'm totally with Longhorn about losing your identity when you just buy a new truck. I drive a 85 4x4 I bought for $1000 and worked on it as I got time, I drive it everyday to work and I get lots of compliments. Both my current 4x4's have 200,000 plus miles. I will be spending $15000 to $20000 on my 71 because it IS my new truck. My kids go to college 300 miles from here and my mom lives 500 miles from here. I plan on running the wheels off this truck, overdrive,A/C, cruise. I can't build one for under $10,000. Not for what I expect of it! I did drive my 49 Studebaker bone stock for 5 years, up and down the highway and everyone thought it was cool. But they'd never want to drive it on a daily basis. Just my thoughts.
49studebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:51 PM   #24
Longhorn Man

well, his induction choice and overdrive may bump the cost up... overdrives can be done on the cheap too, I know I can get a semi-beefed up 200 4R completely rebuilt with a stock converter for less than 400... but again, talk to the locals, see who's who in your area.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #25
72LoBurb
Yup, I'm comp-useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamThis View Post
Oh and just to make you guys drool a bit, I also have a 68 Dodge Charger R/T stored. It's totally stripped down too awaiting me to get the money to have it media blasted so I can do some body work on it. I know I'm sitting on a frigging gold mine with that car. 440 Six Pack and Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter on a 4 speed tranny, can you say "obtain wood"????

I better come into some major cash somehow LOL.
With your Charger, you will have to restore it back to original to make it a true gold mine; say bye-bye to the six-pack as it is not original to this car, they wern't available on the Charger 'til '70 ('69 for the Road Runner and Super Bee).
Any way that you build it, it will be worth big coin, just don't hack the body for tubs or anything like that, unless the body is a basket-case.

You are a lucky man to have that car.

As for the '68 Chev, I have to agree with what was said by others; punt the Dodge and build the '68.
Even if it doesn't perform the way the Dodge could, it will stil garner far more attenion than the Dodge ever could...unless it was on fire.
72LoBurb is offline   Reply With Quote