The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2006, 02:47 AM   #1
abadsvt

Will this be okay?

Well i finally got my brakes in from CPP. They came fast and without any backorders that CPP is famous for . The problem. I took my rotors down to a local machine shop to have them redrilled to 5x4.75 bolt pattern. There are a few support ribs on the back of the rotor that are in the way to have them redrilled. I was wondering if it would be bad to grind them down so i can change my bolt pattern? I really don't want to use wheel adapters so redrillen the bolt pattern is my goal. Thanks and any comments ASAP would be appreciated. Thanks Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
jimmydean

Re: Will this be okay?

I would ask a brake shop to be sure, but depending on how you are closing up the old holes might make a difference.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
johnnywagon
Sofa King. We, Todd, Ed.

Many many years ago I had a set of 6 lug hub/rotors off my pro-street Chevy Luv redrilled to 5 lug. The machine shop left in the 6 lug hub-to-rotor mounting bolts and cut them off flush. when the 5 lug pattern was drilled in, 2 of the new bolt holes were touching the old holes, but the old bolts acted as filler and everyting worked great. Still together 12 years later. What Im getting at is this: maybe the machine shop can leave in the original bolts, cut them flush and redrill through that, thus staying away from the support ribs? I think I've confused myself with this...

71 Blazer One Ton
65 Chevelle Station Wagon x2
59 Belair 2 Door
71 Chevy Open Road Van RV

www.myspace.com/johnnywagon
johnnywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
gotchevys?

Ive had rear axles redrilled for 6 lug to 5 on 5. Would it be possible to weld the old holes shut and then redrill? Probably a little more work but I would think it would be a better end result.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
SCOTI

I had to take material off of those 'ribs' when re-drilling the 5x5 truck pattern to the 5x4.75 car pattern on a stock 12" C10 truck rotor.

These re-drilled rotors have been used on a daily driven vehicle now for 6+yrs so I would say it won't be a problem.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote