The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2006, 02:15 AM   #1
Drive-In 4x4

Merry CHRISTmas, reintro, and HELP needed

First off Merry CHRISTmas to one and all...I hope you have a great time with family and friends. My name is Brian Davis and I love the 71-72 Cheyenne pickups....Short Beds even more. Problem I need to solve is HOW to easily determine a genuine shortbed from a Longbed conversion by the numbers. It's one thing to do when I'm there to look underneath but I need a letter designation or something that will give it's true authenticity. I've been to the F. A. Q section and I must not be understanding something I guess. So please Answer this question for me....You are in Timbuckto USA and have a supposed 71-72 Cheyenne Short Bed for sale on Evilbay. What is the one thing I should ask about that would without a doubt tell me that it is a SHORT BED CHEYENNE? How dependable is the glove box sticker also? I looked at one on EBay awhile back that looked great but it appeared that someone had tampered with the sticker. I'm SUPER lost on the subject and really want one of these. I'm off for Christmas and was thinking about maybe taking a road trip to find one. I found one in Missouri but have no way to tell if it's real. So please read the above question and answer it with an explanation worthy of being in a text book here. Thanks
Drive-In 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 04:23 AM   #2
72armyswbtruck

Re: Merry CHRISTmas, reintro, and HELP needed

Go to the vin decoder, you want the 127 inch wheel base I believe, not the other,
Old 12-25-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

115 will be the short wheelbase.The glovebox sticker is available repo so the options on it could be made to match the truck.Also the GB door could have been changed.I'm not sure if a specific part of the VIN shows the Cheyenne pkg. but someone will be able to give you an Idea.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
Drive-In 4x4

Yeah I know the Glove Box door isn't a good source being that it is easily removed and NOW a days you can get reproduction sticker saying whatever you want.... However provided that I do find one that looks untampered with. Well how do you decipher this? http://67-72chevytrucks.com/Chevyear.html (MODEL NUMBER CODES) Cab to axle dimension which one is the correct one for Short Bed? 7 - 15 (which one?) I'm kind of surprised that they don't say axle to axle rather than Cab to axle.....And Short Beds are always 1/2 tons correct? I guess I'm looking for one that hasn't been restored and looks as though that it has never been messed with. Then through the information provided above I prove that what I have in front of me is for real.....I saw one in a salvage yard years ago and when I asked about it the guy wouldn't talk to me about it. It from what I could tell was the real deal. I just don't want to pay a premium price for something that used to be a six cylinder base model Short Bed. I'm really quite surprised that there isn't any other way to tell. Stay with me here on this guys I want to be part of the club here but I can't find my ULTIMATE TREASURE a 71 72 SUPER/CHEYENNE SHORT BED Even though the MODEL number information isn't the best help me understand it please.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
Drive-In 4x4

In the end I'll probably end up buying a long bed and cutting her down to short Bed size.....I'm not against that because in the long run you'll probably have less money in it. Does anyone have a how to section for doing this? I'm still looking for the HOLY GRAIL in my eyes of trucks, but if it comes down to it then that is what is going to happen. When doing this could a newer short bed frame be utilized? HMMM.... I'm thinking modern 4x4 components/ drivetrain. 71 - 72 SUPER CHEYENNE body.....Oh and please help with the previous replies question...I haven't given up yet.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:16 PM   #6
Sweet72

If you want clear concise instructions PM boardmember ebfabman. I think he has a DVD on that very subject.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:47 AM   #7
Americanrider

I just don't want to pay a premium price for something that used to be a six cylinder base model Short Bed.

The price you pay is up to you and based on what the truck looks like and how it's held up as well as the features. If you have a few thousand to spend then enjoy your search and good luck.

Expect to pay more for a name. I purchased 2 short beds this past year, a six banger 3 spd running/driving for $600 and a V8/4 spd truck (shell & frame) for $200. Both will be built the way I want them. Personally I could care less about badges and name plates, I can build a truck every bit as nice as a Super Cheyenne. It's all about Time & Money.
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
Drive-In 4x4

I agree....I'm starting to anyway. I've come to the conclusion that this isn't the part of the country where you can find these vehicles anyway. So when it come down to it I'm probably just going to make one. There is a bronze and white Super Cheyenne just outside of town. I like the color it is a Super Cheyenne and SOON it will be a SWB SUPER CHEYENNE. Maybe even a 4x4 if everything goes my way. SOOoooo does the guy with DVD know how to chop a Long Bed frame to make a SHORT Bed frame? If so I will get in touch with him and get my own DVD. Thanks.... However as I metioned in a previous reply would it be better to swap out frames with a newer short bed. I've Got an 83 short bed that might do the trick but then it might be more trouble than it's worth to do it that way. The only benefit would be a complete untampered with frame and newer four wheel drive components....Any thoughts on this?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:05 PM   #9
john
member #16

Heres a good thread on how to shorten frame.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=123624
john is offline   Reply With Quote